Status
    Not open for further replies.

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    I realize they're supplying vaccines as fast as possible, but not everyone can get one who wants one. So what's the priority? Did Grand Rapids run out of old people? Seems to me, assuming your son doesn't have other co-morbidities at age 23, he should probably be one of the last in line. And of course, your mom should be prioritized.
    When they thaw the vaccine and prepare it, they only have so much time to use it. For whatever reason, people do not show for their appointments and rather than waste the vaccine, the will give it to people on the stand-by list in order of priority. He got a call late Thurs. and was, apparently, one of the few willing to show up at that hour. So sure, the most vulnerable are the priority, but if gramps and gram won't show....

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    My philosophy is (and why not be philosophical) that before anyone talks about mandates, government or private, let's see if enough people get it voluntarily when there are adequate supplies. If enough people get it by choice, why start mandating?
    Especially when it would be ridiculous to require a vaccine that isn't readily available to everyone equally.

Hawkeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 25, 2010
    Warsaw
    My philosophy is (and why not be philosophical) that before anyone talks about mandates, government or private, let's see if enough people get it voluntarily when there are adequate supplies. If enough people get it by choice, why start mandating?
    Because, reasons... Yeah, reasons! That's it!

Hawkeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 25, 2010
    Warsaw
    When they thaw the vaccine and prepare it, they only have so much time to use it. For whatever reason, people do not show for their appointments and rather than waste the vaccine, the will give it to people on the stand-by list in order of priority. He got a call late Thurs. and was, apparently, one of the few willing to show up at that hour. So sure, the most vulnerable are the priority, but if gramps and gram won't show....
    Also, sometimes they thaw vaccine vials for the right # of people. But since the vials hold, say 5 or 6 doses, they may end up with extra doses thawed.

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Far West Suburban Lowellabama
    And if anyone knows to get on a list in Madison county, please let me know.
    Been searching for some waiting list info in Hendricks County, but haven't found anything so far. If someone else in Hendricks has, let us know. My wife has a serious heart condition and some other underlying conditions, so would like to get her signed up on a waiting list. Thank you

Go to the clinics that are giving the shots and sign up. In my area we had to sign up in person. Not by phone. Not by inter webs.

Hardscrable

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jan 6, 2010
    S.E. of Southwest
    My wife and friends received shots in county to our north. More vaccine available than our county. Also where I am on stand-by list. To get on stand-by list you or someone needs to go to the clinic to sign up.....no phone, no on-lone. You are not required to stay in your county.

Jaybird1980

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 22, 2016
    North Central
    Been searching for some waiting list info in Hendricks County, but haven't found anything so far. If someone else in Hendricks has, let us know. My wife has a serious heart condition and some other underlying conditions, so would like to get her signed up on a waiting list. Thank you
    And if anyone knows to get on a list in Madison county, please let me know.
    A call to you local county Health nurse/dept.
    At least that is who manages the list and prioritizes in my area

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    Our management (department manager level) at work was recently required to call everyone under them to see if they'd be "interested" in getting the vaccine (I think if it were to be offered in our health center - kinda like the school nurse's office equivalent). I said no, at this time.

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Far West Suburban Lowellabama
    A call to you local county Health nurse/dept.
    At least that is who manages the list and prioritizes in my area
    Where in NW Indiana are you located? In Lake County the lists are kept by the individual clinics that administer the vaccine. It is possible to get on multiple lists. But when you get called for the shot you get logged into the state database so you can't get multiple vaccines. But you can be on the wait list at several places.

Jaybird1980

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 22, 2016
    North Central
    Where in NW Indiana are you located? In Lake County the lists are kept by the individual clinics that administer the vaccine. It is possible to get on multiple lists. But when you get called for the shot you get logged into the state database so you can't get multiple vaccines. But you can be on the wait list at several places.
    Starke County. It may be because we only have one location. I just figured the health dept would have the info you need

femurphy77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 5, 2009
    S.E. of disorder
    At the hospital I work at we now appear to be doing "civilians" but they have to be in the targeted older age groups. I hear that Walgreens and a couple of other places are starting to do appointments as well so it's getting out there. Funny thing is that our facility has no idea how many co-workers have taken it and as much as they'd like to know they can't compel you to let them know. PHI and all that. Although they are using our facility and in some cases our people it is still being run by the health department and CDC.

As far as leftovers at the end of the day I do know that there is an internal list at the hospital but given the short shelf life after thawing there is not a good way of doing a public "waiting list".

SarahG

Snow Shovel
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 17, 2017
    Morgan County
    I got my first one on the 15th. I was tired for the day after getting it and had some redness and warmth at the injection site for a few days, but that isn't common I've heard. I'll get my second one on the 19th next month - hoping it's not worse than the first.

I don't have much to go on as far as how I react to vaccines, since the last time I had one before this I was around 16 (32 now).

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    I got my first one on the 15th. I was tired for the day after getting it and had some redness and warmth at the injection site for a few days, but that isn't common I've heard. I'll get my second one on the 19th next month - hoping it's not worse than the first.

I don't have much to go on as far as how I react to vaccines, since the last time I had one before this I was around 16 (32 now).
    Did you mean to say common or uncommon?

SarahG

Snow Shovel
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 17, 2017
    Morgan County
    Did you mean to say common or uncommon?
    From what I’ve read, most people don’t get injection site redness and swelling. Mine lasted about a week and the area was hot to the touch, so I spent the week joking about how Bill Gates must have really injected me with a microchip. :laugh:

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom