Status
    Not open for further replies.

avboiler11

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jun 12, 2011
    New Albany
    At this point my biggest concern is that the 2nd dose won't be available for many people. Seems like the demand is higher than the supply and the supply chain doesn't seem to be able to deliver. I hope I'm wrong. I'm due for my second dose in 3 weeks, got my first dose last week.

What I do know is that a 1 million doses a day, which is Biden's goal (and which was close to what was being injected at the end of the Trump administration) the rollout is going too slow to get to herd immunity until we get into the fall of this year.

The single-dose Johnson & Johnson vaccine will likely get EUA by the end of this month; those 100M firm doses will help speed the process along in spring.

AstraZeneca and Novavax likely aren't too far behind, with 300M and 100M firm doses respectively.

marvin02

Don't Panic
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    56   0   0
    Jun 20, 2019
    Calumet Twp.
    Did anyone else get an email from the state about the vaccine? I got two. One on the email account that I used for my fishing license and one on my email account I use for my BMV account. I have never signed up for emails from the Dept. of Health with any email address.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210201-174117.png
      Screenshot_20210201-174117.png
      282.2 KB · Views: 12

KMaC

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 4, 2016
    Indianapolis
    I registered to get the shot as soon as I heard "over 65" were eligible.
    Yes, I'll take the shot, sprinkle it on my ice cream or take it it as a suppository.
    I just want to go wherever I want in the time I have left and live as normally as possible. I will not relive 2020.

SheepDog4Life

Natural Gray Man
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    May 14, 2016
    SW IN

BigRed

Banned More Than You
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 29, 2017
    1,000 yards out
    Amazing how easy it is to control people.

Were I to even attempt to contol a game animal in any way such as this, I would be held in violation of some rule re: game species.

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Far West Suburban Lowellabama
    What they are saying is that while vaccines are know to prevent illness from the virus (in around 90%, depending), they do not have enough information to conclude that a vaccinated person cannot pass it. That's a little different and I expect the knowledge base to grow on this issue and suspect that they will find that they cannot pass it on. Honestly, it seems like a safe conclusion, but the people who do these studies will not shoot from the hip, right or wrong.
    Quoted & highlighted because some people need to hear this again, and again, and again because they don't understand how information gets distorted.

I hear people saying, and repeating, that the vaccines do not work and you will still get sick and you will still spread it even if you are not sick.

Data from other diseases that have been treated by vaccines (like Polio and Smallpox) show that you can't get it and you can't pass it on. But we have DECADES of evidence with those diseases. It is very likely that vaccinated people will NOT be able to pass this disease along, but the science proving that simply does not exist yet because we have not been fighting it for long enough.

And while this disease is mutating, it is possible some vaccinated people will be infected but if so it is likely the vaccine will only give them minor issues. Vaccines can be partially effective.

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    It is best to think of vaccines as "resistance" rather than "immunity". While most people's resistance will be raised so much that they are, essentially, immune, just like any other disease that there are vaccinations for, for one reason or another, some people's resistance will not be raised high enough for "immunity".

The information for the vaccine from the study I am in indicates that in the very few instances where a vaccinated person got the virus, the severity is very low; lower than being unvaccinated. Think of it like the immune system having a head start.

Last edited:

Hardscrable

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jan 6, 2010
    S.E. of Southwest
    FYI regarding appointments. Apparently scheduling online does not always result in earliest available appointments. Communication within circle of our friends has shown discrepancies. After announcement yesterday of opening to 65 & up word was passed around and then who got appointments & when. Someone would get an appointment 3 or 4 weeks out then someone later would get an appointment at the same place but next week or at another site across town much sooner. 1 friend was first scheduled for 3/3. Heard of this, called a toll free number and changed to another location on 2/23. Same person called back this morning and got an appointment tomorrow 2/2 at same location as his first appointment made yesterday for 3/2...they had openings all day tomorrow. After this word passed around this morning 2 other friends have called and got appointments 3 or 4 weeks earlier at the same location as their first appointment made yesterday.It seems apparently that the info online is not always the same info that the call center has. So anyone wanting an earlier appointment than they have might want to try calling. You cannot do this online if you already have an appointment, you must call. The agent has to cancel the first appointment.

1-855-523-225 between 8AM & 8PM.

Ziggidy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 7, 2018
    Ziggidyville
    I must tell ya, I'm struggling about whether to get it or not. My only concern is the speed a which it was developed and the ever so small trial base; add the fact that we have never had a vaccine like this before (how it works).

My ONLY reason I would get it is out of fear. I had the virus back in June and it was not nice.....very rough. I am not sure how I would handle that a second time.

I don't trust the government nor the drug companies when it comes to covid.....so I struggle.

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    I must tell ya, I'm struggling about whether to get it or not. My only concern is the speed a which it was developed and the ever so small trial base; add the fact that we have never had a vaccine like this before (how it works).

My ONLY reason I would get it is out of fear. I had the virus back in June and it was not nice.....very rough. I am not sure how I would handle that a second time.

I don't trust the government nor the drug companies when it comes to covid.....so I struggle.
    I don't know what the cost is, but you could always get your antibodies tested- not a "yes" or "no" test, but a level. From that, some educated speculation could be made about whether you retain resistance. Chances are you do, but at what level is tough to say. At the very least, if you contracted it again (and while it is possible, it is not common), some information suggests that your body would be able to fight it off better, making for a milder case.

If you knew, roughly, what your resistance could be, you could make a decision about whether to wait for more information about the vaccines.

Also, there are vaccines in the pipeline that do not use mRNA (although I personally have no qualms about mRNA). Novavax (currently in Stage 3) uses a "subunit" protein that has been used in other vaccines. AstraZeneca uses DNA, but from an inactivated cold virus, so it's a bit more "old tech" in a way. Johnson and Johnson also uses a technology previously used in other vaccines.

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne

Fear, or maybe altruism, is rally the only reason to get a vaccine, no? I fear tetanus (ever check out the symptoms?), so I keep up on it.

AFIAK, the trial sizes were comparable to other drugs.

Hawkeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 25, 2010
    Warsaw
    Fear, or maybe altruism, is rally the only reason to get a vaccine, no? I fear tetanus (ever check out the symptoms?), so I keep up on it.

AFIAK, the trial sizes were comparable to other drugs.
    I don't know as its "fear" per se. I'd say prudence.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom