• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    Refinancing the mortgage = skipped payment = time for a snow blower. I've been shoveling the drive and sidewalks for ten years now and I'm pretty sure I'm over it. For context, my driveway is three cars wide, two cars long. Storage space is an issue but secondary to getting a machine which will work well. There are almost always two cars in the drive, sometimes parked next to one another so I don't want something I can't sneak between them if necessary.

I've never owned one but I know there are different types. Looking for recommendations from those in the know on which type, manufacturers to look for and to avoid, etc..

Go!!!

MilliJac

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 6, 2014
    The Fort
    I used to work at a shop that sold and repaired lots of snow blowers and throwers during the winter. I was just a stupid grunt at the time, but the master mechanic there always liked the Toro units. Are you looking for electric or gas engine?

Brandon

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 28, 2010
    SE Indy
    We have an Ariens track driven unit. A little more pricey than wheel driven, a little slower (slower than most other units) but no flat tires to worry about airing up when its really really cold. Another thing I like about ours is the chute isn't plastic. Aside from that, the electric start is a nice feature to have as are heated hand grips and a snow cab.

Just for reference our driveway is about 350' long single lane for must of it except maybe 40-50 feet where its 3 cars wide. Takes roughly 45 minutes.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Two stage:
    Two stage will cut through ANYTHING
    Two stage will not go all the way to the pavement. It will always leave a little behind, but typically a sunny day will melt that away.
    Two stage can be tweaked to work on gravel

Single stage
    If you are expecting heavy snow, you will want to use your blower every 4 inches as the snow falls. There comes a point that a single stage just cant cut it.
    Single stage takes it down to the pavement, so if that isnt good enough, grab a broom because thats all that is left.
    Single stage cant be used on gravel. (for the reason above)

My two stage is a bit overkill for my driveway big enough to park 3 cars. But I can also clear my sidewalks, as well as take care of my elderly neighbor's drive without worrying. My neighbor across the street with a single stage seemed to ALWAYS be using his. If he didnt, he would find himself shoveling instead because his couldnt cut it.

Go big. you wont be disappointed.

Loar

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 6, 2011
    I had to buy a snowblower last year and based on the research I did, Toro is the brand to get. I typically just buy a Honda for all small engine items since they're known as extremely reliable but the salesperson where I went insisted I start the Honda snowblower and the Toro and said that Honda has recently re-designed their models and they will shake you to death over the course of doing your driveway. The Honda did have noticeably more noise and shake than the Toro. Toro is a Minnesota company so they know snowblowers. Also, at the dealer I spoke to, he said he sells 9 Toros for every 1 of the other brands.

For me, once I know the brand, then the decision becomes a lot easier because it's a matter of how much I want to spend and the features I need (or want).

Good luck with the purchase.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Or you contact this guy and have him build one for you...

[video=youtube;81y9XSQ9Ru0]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=81y9XSQ9Ru0[/video]

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    2-stage, self-propelled, and a bit larger than you think you need. Sucks to run a blower that ends up being a gas-powered shovel. Get one that just needs you to walk behind it.

My neighbor and I have almost identical driveways. I clear mine in about 30 minutes with a decent 2-stage, self-propelled Craftsman. He has a 2-stroke, single stage, non-propelled. Takes over an hour for an INCH of snow. He doesn't even bother if it is deeper. The blower simply can't do it. He borrows mine.

For a drive that small, and for the price of a blower, just hire neighborhood kids to shovel it. $500 will last a few years.

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    Appreciate the advice so far. I was leaning toward a 2-stage, self propelled but didn't know if there was info I was unaware of that might lead me to something different.

paintman

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    38   0   0
    Dec 3, 2011
    new castle indiana
    two stage, big, self propelled. seems to be all you need to know. most of them I looked at had the same components but different names. different names means higher price depending on the name.

17 squirrel

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 15, 2013
    Two stage:
    Two stage will cut through ANYTHING
    Two stage will not go all the way to the pavement. It will always leave a little behind, but typically a sunny day will melt that away.
    Two stage can be tweaked to work on gravel

Single stage
    If you are expecting heavy snow, you will want to use your blower every 4 inches as the snow falls. There comes a point that a single stage just cant cut it.
    Single stage takes it down to the pavement, so if that isnt good enough, grab a broom because thats all that is left.
    Single stage cant be used on gravel. (for the reason above)

My two stage is a bit overkill for my driveway big enough to park 3 cars. But I can also clear my sidewalks, as well as take care of my elderly neighbor's drive without worrying. My neighbor across the street with a single stage seemed to ALWAYS be using his. If he didnt, he would find himself shoveling instead because his couldnt cut it.

Go big. you wont be disappointed.

Very well said,.... And most certainly, go two stage and buy the largest machine you can afford. I'm not big on the track machines myself, it just looks like more parts to cause problems. I have chains I can put on my old Arien's if there is ice under the snow.. I would also think the tracks would not get traction on ice idn.

bocefus78

Master
    Rating - 100%
    39   0   0
    Apr 9, 2014
    Hamilton Co.
    Definitely 2 stage if you don't want to do it every 6" or so like said above, or if the city piles it up at the street end of your driveway. The sloppy wet snows shut the single stage blowers down pretty quick too.
    Buy extra shear bolts. Think you have enough? Buy 4 more. They only break when the stores are closed or sold out for the season. Trust me on this.
    Toro or Aeriens-don't look at anything else.
    Electric start with pull start backup is my preference.
    If its really cold (Single digits to teens), or in a shady area, the little bit left by a two stage won't melt and you will need some ice melt unless you like hockey rink like driveways.
    Shoot the discharge chute with fluid film to prevent ice buildup. Pam works too. Its also a rust preventative.
    Don't ever point it at your house, neighbor, or vehicle! Seems stupid to even mention, I know, but trust me when I say that thing will throw rocks, frozen newspapers, ice, and debris exactly where you don't want it. (windows)
    This is more of a pet peeve than anything, but don't be the guy who blows it into the street after the plows have already came thru. Your plow driver will thank you.

Commercial snow removal guy here. Been dealing with blowers for long enough to know what works and what doesn't.

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    Definitely 2 stage if you don't want to do it every 6" or so like said above, or if the city piles it up at the street end of your driveway. The sloppy wet snows shut the single stage blowers down pretty quick too.

I have yet to see a city plow come through before everyone in the neighborhood has already cleared their drive. I get that its a residential and lightly traveled street but I'd almost prefer they don't come in at all. They've pushed enough up at the end of my (already cleared) drive that it took two hours to get my vehicle onto the street.

eric001

Vaguely well-known member
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Apr 3, 2011
    Indianapolis
    I just looked at the Ariens Model 920022 (on Home Depot's site)... All I have to say is WOW. Have to say that if I had the $$, I'd trade up for that in a heartbeat. Other than the price, there wasn't anything to not like about it.

1911ly

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 11, 2011
    South Bend
    I have a Troybilt (probably the same as many others I am sure) It's going in to it's 4th season. Other then breaking shear pins (because I'm an idiot for not making sure the drive was clear before the first snow) It's ran flawless. I have a very large driveway and I usually do my neighbors drives when it gets really bad.

Must haves for me:

Electric start. Mine has manual and electric.

Don't give anything that isn't a 2 stage a second glance.

Self propelled. My bad is bad and it makes the job a hell of a lot easier.

YMMV

rosejm

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Nov 28, 2013
    NWI
    I have yet to see a city plow come through before everyone in the neighborhood has already cleared their drive. I get that its a residential and lightly traveled street but I'd almost prefer they don't come in at all. They've pushed enough up at the end of my (already cleared) drive that it took two hours to get my vehicle onto the street.

Exactly. I blow my driveway into the yard.
    All that **** the plow driver pushed into my driveway? Right back into the street, where it can melt the rest of the way.

natdscott

User Unknown
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 20, 2015
    No chance of a small tractor w/loader instead of a snowblower?

Does more, for many more times in the year, but costs lots more, and takes more storage.

Still more, though. :)

-Nate

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    If I could fit a small tractor through my fence to mow the back yard I'd have one. Someday when I move out of [STRIKE]hell[/STRIKE] the suburbs I'll have one.

Top Bottom