• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • walleyepw

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Sep 9, 2012
    While living in the UP for a few years I had two different snow blowers. The first was a used Torro with a 13 hp brigs. The thing was a beast. Could blow snow over 3 ft deep. But it was a beast, the work out you got from trying to manhandle it wore me out. The second blower that I had was a used Yamaha 5 hp. I couldn't clear as much snow as quickly, but was not worn out when I got done. For the size of drive way the OP is talking I would not go larger than a 5hp.

bulletsmith

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Apr 26, 2015
    Lake County
    It's all been said. 2 stage, self propelled, electric start. Unless I missed somebody else saying it, try to look for something that has the chute adjustment on the console. You may not think so, but reaching down to adjust the angle of the chute all the time is a pain. Depending on your situation, a headlight can be a plus.

Also, as usual, compare. I found that the model that was 2" wider than the one I was looking at was almost 40% more in cost. I could not justify such an increase in cost for such a small difference performance.

Brandon

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 28, 2010
    SE Indy
    It's all been said. 2 stage, self propelled, electric start. Unless I missed somebody else saying it, try to look for something that has the chute adjustment on the console. You may not think so, but reaching down to adjust the angle of the chute all the time is a pain. Depending on your situation, a headlight can be a plus.

Also, as usual, compare. I found that the model that was 2" wider than the one I was looking at was almost 40% more in cost. I could not justify such an increase in cost for such a small difference performance.

I think this sums it up well.

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    Update: Thanks for all of the advice. I decided on this one: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...ens 28"&qid=1445993182&ref_=sr_1_2&sr=8-2 . I had my Brother pick it up for me down in Greenwood today and I'm going to go get it tomorrow. I'm positive that it's overkill but I'd prefer to have too much machine than not enough. I don't plan to live in this house forever and hopefully the next house will have a nice, long driveway. This should do a decent job there as well.

bulletsmith

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Apr 26, 2015
    Lake County
    Update: Thanks for all of the advice. I decided on this one: Amazon.com : Ariens 921030 Deluxe 28 254cc 28 in. Two-Stage Snow Thrower with Electric Start : Ariens Snow Blower : Patio, Lawn & Garden . I had my Brother pick it up for me down in Greenwood today and I'm going to go get it tomorrow. I'm positive that it's overkill but I'd prefer to have too much machine than not enough. I don't plan to live in this house forever and hopefully the next house will have a nice, long driveway. This should do a decent job there as well.

I'm pretty sure that there is no such thing as too much machine that helps me not have to handle frozen rain.

Nice choice!

Brandon

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 28, 2010
    SE Indy
    Nice machine! pretty much the same as mine only the wheeled version.
    I need to get mine out and grease the fittings and change the oil before it gets nasty out.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Wise choice. Do you want a cheap, small gun that may not be enough, or do you want a gun that is ALWAYS big enough. Same diff here.

I only skip the snow blower about once a year because there just isnt enough snow. And for that inch or less I just walk back and forth pushing the shovel along the drive like a plow and have it done in about 5 mins or less.

meanwhile I have watched my neighbor across the street about every other year struggle for a couple hours with his single stage. Or we are expecting lots and he gets up at 4am and uses it every couple hours because he has to stay ahead of the snow. Yes, That time is not a typo. So glad they retired a couple months ago and moved to GA. Nice folks but not always courteous.

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    Ok, I have one more question for the experienced folks. Should I get a set of chains for the tires? I borrowed a friend's snowblower last year and recall the tires not gripping terrible well. The machine I bought weighs 224lbs so it's a good bit heavier than his so I'm not sure if I'll have that issue or not. My drive has a slope but it's not extreme.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Ok, I have one more question for the experienced folks. Should I get a set of chains for the tires? I borrowed a friend's snowblower last year and recall the tires not gripping terrible well. The machine I bought weighs 224lbs so it's a good bit heavier than his so I'm not sure if I'll have that issue or not. My drive has a slope but it's not extreme.

those knobby tires work well except for pure ice. And then the damn thing is useless anyway.

I say save your shekels. Ive never needed them. But if it has plastic adjustable skids you might want to spend the $30 for a new set of metal ones. Mine is less than 5 years old and my plastic ones are wearing down to the point I have to readjust every year. I want to get metal and set it and forget it. (the concrete acts like 40 grit sandpaper on them)

Brandon

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 28, 2010
    SE Indy
    I know the machine my dad had when I was a kid had chains, but our driveways always had a decent hill and I was to young to use it at the time to comment.

What I would say to get is the snow cab. Takes the misery out of the wind blowing the snow right back in your face.

FWP9MM

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 22, 2010
    Bluffton
    Great machine, I bought the same model last year. If your driveway is relatively flat, you won't need the chains. The machine throws light snow 40' and heavy wet stuff about 15'. Now for the hard part..... Waiting for it to snow.

1911ly

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 11, 2011
    South Bend

I have a similar machine and I have never felt the need for chains. If you need chains you aren't going to move the snow anyway. I will recommend going back and getting a hand full of shear pins though. I've only broke one, well two actually and not having them bit me in the ass really hard.

Nice machine, you are going to love it. And it's time to get mine out and give it a going over. I seem to wait till the last minute. not this year though!!

You do know that the one sure way to have a light winter is to buy a snow blower! :lmfao:

HamsterStyle

Master
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Jul 27, 2010
    Carthage
    Revisiting this.

I have been doing a lot of reading and I am finding less than desirable reviews on the ariens auto turn feature if you have bumpy or uneven driveways. That is scaring me a little bit as I have about 300 ft of uneven and bumpy gravel driveway. Other than that, they seem great.

Any experiences with Husqvarna machines or the troybilt blowers at Lowes? I also checked out a couple Cub Cadets. They looked really nice.

Final question for now. Plastic vs metal chute. I understand the metal will last longer but there are many more options with the plastic chutes. Will the gravel go through the plastic?

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    I have a Sears Craftsman that I bought new about 5 yrs ago. No problems with it so far. It is a 2 stage, self propelled, electric start. I got by with a single stage for several years. I am up in the lake effect area though and would have some snows that I would have to work several hours to get it all cleaned off. We still get one every now and then that the big one struggles with. I still find myself using a shovel when it is just an inch or two as it is simpler and almost as fast as using the big snowblower.

1911ly

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 11, 2011
    South Bend
    Revisiting this.

I have been doing a lot of reading and I am finding less than desirable reviews on the ariens auto turn feature if you have bumpy or uneven driveways. That is scaring me a little bit as I have about 300 ft of uneven and bumpy gravel driveway. Other than that, they seem great.

Any experiences with Husqvarna machines or the troybilt blowers at Lowes? I also checked out a couple Cub Cadets. They looked really nice.

Final question for now. Plastic vs metal chute. I understand the metal will last longer but there are many more options with the plastic chutes. Will the gravel go through the plastic?

I've got a Troy-Bilt I bought at lowes. It It's got all the bells and whistles. Power shoot heated grips power shoot, blah blah. The only issue I have had with the self propelled auto turning part is getting use to letting it do the work. It's a instinct to push it around. Once I got use to it, it's awesome. I have had zero issues.

I've got 3 drives I keep clean with it. I go over gravel, paved, brick and cement. No issues. I've shot gravel threw it a few times when I had it set to low. No harm thus far. I this is the 4th winter for it, I bought it late in the first winter. So the first year doesn't really count I guess.

I got it out over the weekend and went over it and it's ready to go this year. I am 100% happy with it. It wasn't cheap. I gave 1300 for it but i feel it was worth it.

The only maintenance things I've had to fix is replacing 2 shear pins (my fault) and I notice second gear reverse would not always engage towards the end of last winter. That was an easy 2 minute fix. Just adjusted a cable.

Expat, I am the same way. I can blow the drive out in just minutes especially if it's just a few inches. And I've got a big drive and walk. I actually enjoy getting hind it and seeing how far I can toss the snow. And I am not beat up when I am done.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    I've had a Troy bilt with a plastic chute. Run it for 5 years. Works great with no major complaints.

Two minor issues:
    it doesn't like stale gas. 3months is too old. I run it dry every spring when the move it to the minibarn from the more covenient garage spot. I buy fresh gas the night before the first snow.

The gears that turn the chute don't mesh very tight. So sometimes it "jumps" the crank as I try to turn it. It's simple to re engage.

Baditude

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 2, 2011
    SE Indianapolis
    This is what I bought: Dirty Hand Tools DHT 30 in. Dual Stage Gas Snow Thrower with 302cc Electric Start Engine and Tank Tracks-103880 - The Home Depot

302 CC engine, tracks for my steep hill, 30" width, steel augers and free delivery They get extremely good reviews on their logsplitters

Never mind, I'm returning it tonight lots of issues and for the same price at Lowe's I can get this one: Shop Troy-Bilt XP Storm Tracker 2690 XP 208-cc 26-in Two-Stage Electric Start Gas Snow Blower with Heated Handles and Headlight at Lowes.com lots of great reviews from people in UP Michigan / East coast

Top Bottom