• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    I'll definite need one that can fling it a good distance. Between that and the enormous heaps that the city plows leave at the end of my drive I'm thinking a 2 stage is the way to go.

jss1956

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2010
    Indiana the Armpit
    Dude, save your money and move south. Or buy a 2-stage with some guts. Too bad you aren’t looking to buy in another year or two. I would make you one heck of a deal on my monster. Once the last kid is out of college (2 years), I will move away from this God-Forsaken dump of a state to the south where it doesn't snow. I'm thinking southern Arizona. In January, I can sit onthe back deck in my shorts, sip coffee and shoot coyotes and javelina. No more freezing my a$$ off. It will be great to call my family back here in January and ask how they like shoveling, scraping and freezing.

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    I wish you well in your move but if I ever move from Indiana it's unlikely to be south and would never be further south than TN. I like fall, don't mind winter too much.

sugarcreekbrass

Expert
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Mar 29, 2015
    West central
    I got lucky and my aunt gave me a Craftsman that was my uncles before he passed. It is probably 18 yrs old and hadn't ran in over 10 yrs before I got it. I didn't do anything but put gas in it and it started on the second pull. I also had to put a tube in one of the tires. It is s two stage self propelled and works great.

Hoosierdood

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 2, 2010
    North of you
    Forget the two stage. You don't have enough driveway or get enough snow for it. In Indy, you MIGHT get one big snow per season that stretches the limits of a single stage, but you will have far more 1-3 inch snowfalls that the two stage won't even be able to throw.

I work at a shop that sells Toro and Ariens. What you need is a Toro single stage. They make them now with a 212 cc 4 stroke engine that is bulletproof. We have bought competitors blowers before to abuse and could break them in 5 minutes. We have tried to break Toros and haven't been able to yet. Plus, they have redesigned the paddles and scraper so it is basically self propelled. No more having to lean the machine forward to get it to go.

Last house I lived at I had a driveway about twice as big as yours. I had both a single stage and a two stage blower. The two stage stayed in the shed most of the winter. It was too heavy and awkward. I could get a better looking driveway with the single stage and be half done in the time it would have taken just to get the two stage ready.

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    I don't think a single stage is going to handle the 2 tons of snow the plows pile up at the end of my driveway. Last year I shoveled my entire drive in about an hour. The plows came by and it took two hours to clear the gift they left me. I may try to pick up a used single stage for the lighter snows but the plow gifts are what will put me in the hospital.

It would be one thing if they plowed the entire street but they don't. They usually take one swipe down the center and always come from one direction so everything gets piled on my side of the street. With 8" on the ground I'll have snow piled at least 2' high and 6'-8' wide in front of my drive.

Gluemanz28

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Mar 4, 2013
    Elkhart County
    I don't think a single stage is going to handle the 2 tons of snow the plows pile up at the end of my driveway. Last year I shoveled my entire drive in about an hour. The plows came by and it took two hours to clear the gift they left me. I may try to pick up a used single stage for the lighter snows but the plow gifts are what will put me in the hospital.

It would be one thing if they plowed the entire street but they don't. They usually take one swipe down the center and always come from one direction so everything gets piled on my side of the street. With 8" on the ground I'll have snow piled at least 2' high and 6'-8' wide in front of my drive.

Snow plows are not your friend. Not only do they do the same to my drive-way, the county was contracting work last year to private companies. If I didn't have a snowy slush piled in my drive-way that would freeze to a giant ice cube, I would come home to my mailbox being smashed and thrown in the front yard.

I think they should have open season on them with no bag limit.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Snow plows are not your friend. Not only do they do the same to my drive-way, the county was contracting work last year to private companies. If I didn't have a snowy slush piled in my drive-way that would freeze to a giant ice cube, I would come home to my mailbox being smashed and thrown in the front yard.

I think they should have open season on them with no bag limit.

Amen to that. For some reason, the city block Im on only gets two of the three passes required to fully clear the street by the contractor. I can stand in my drive and look off into the distance where my street goes, and see 3 passes, where they cleared the snow curb to curb starting at the intersection to the east. but I turn around to see the remaining 100' of my street (where it hits a Tee at the west end) and its only had two passes. That leaves a solid 6' of unplowed street that needs to be cleared so I can get out of my drive as well as receive mail in my mailbox. Quite a few times I havent had to contend with the contractor piling snow in my drive; Instead I have to do his job and clear a 6'x40' path so I can get out as well as make sure my mailman doesnt chicken out and skip my house because they are afraid of getting stuck. :xmad:

Hoosierdood

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 2, 2010
    North of you
    Edited...because I can.

Do you realize what this sort of thing makes you sound like:

??

I had a good childhood friend that worked for INDOT for a number of years. Standing on the side of the road doing his job, with all safety precautions followed, he got cut in half by a driver not paying attention. And do you know what?

Today, at about 10 in the morning, marks 3 years his daughters have been without him. I relate this JUST for you, you pretentious ass.

Sorry for the hijack, phylo. Just tired on a Friday.

-Nate

Quoted... Just for S&G's.

Now where did I put that popcorn?

:popcorn:

Ah, there it is. Proceed...

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Edited...because I can.

Do you realize what this sort of thing makes you sound like:

??

I had a good childhood friend that worked for INDOT for a number of years. Standing on the side of the road doing his job, with all safety precautions followed, he got cut in half by a driver not paying attention. And do you know what?

Today, at about 10 in the morning, marks 3 years his daughters have been without him. I relate this JUST for you, you pretentious ass.

Sorry for the hijack, phylo. Just tired on a Friday.

-Nate

Nothing in the post you responded to warrant this response.

This will be your one and only warning.

Your edit is fully visible.

-CM-

Baditude

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 2, 2011
    SE Indianapolis
    Am I the only one that likes more power? I want a snowblower that is 2 stage and even with the deepest of snow can go at the highest speed. I had a toro that could do it, but turning the beast was a nightmare very long compared to the Craftsman it had replaced.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    WE had a 9 HP Yard Machine. It was a beast. Nothing slowed/stopped it. Only issue I ever had was shearing a pin when I went at the wet snowplow mound full tilt. My fault.

Thing is, when you get out the blower and you have elderly/single mom/physically challenged neighbors guess how many walks/drives you are compelled to do.........that's right, all of them. The machine was up to the task. Some days I was not.

Doug

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    69   0   0
    Sep 5, 2008
    Indianapolis
    WE had a 9 HP Yard Machine. It was a beast. Nothing slowed/stopped it. Only issue I ever had was shearing a pin when I went at the wet snowplow mound full tilt. My fault.

Thing is, when you get out the blower and you have elderly/single mom/physically challenged neighbors guess how many walks/drives you are compelled to do.........that's right, all of them.
    The machine was up to the task. Some days I was not.

It was only your kind nature that compelled you and for that I salute you! :patriot::rockwoot::thumbsup::ingo:

Rep inbound!

igotdiesel2

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 16, 2009
    Southport area of In
    Be sure to check your local equipment dealer, they can be cheaper then the big box stores.

This is the best advice on here in my opion. Plus when you by it from a dealer you get a full tank of gas and it has been started to make sure it is running right. Also, you jump to the front of the line when it comes to repairing and servicing your equipment.

I have 2 snowblowers ( I make money with mine), one is a 2 stage and the other is a single stage. Don't be afraid of single stage blowers, they have their place in the snow removal game. My single stage is bad to the bones. It has a rubber and metal auger. It will and has done over 7" of snow with no problem. Both of mine are snappers with Briggs and Stratton electric start motors. And I rarely if ever use the electric start. The only reason I buy electric start blowers are in case I break a starter rope. I can start the blower and let it run in the back of the truck for the rest of day or night keeping me in the money. -Jason

EDIT: If you want to do away with the gift you get from the snowplows on the end of your drive, blow 2 stripes down to the left (facing the street) of your driveway down and back about 30 feet or so. That will give a clean spot for the plow to unload before it gets to your driveway. I do this for my customers that have HOA plowed streets and they thank me for it all the time. -Jason

Last edited:

Tyler-The-Piker

Boondock Saint
    Rating - 100%
    101   0   0
    Jun 24, 2013
    ><(((((*>
    while reading this thread I'm pretty sure I heard a couple of Tim Allen grunts
    tim-allen-grunt-o-s.gif

87iroc

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 25, 2012
    Bartholomew County
    I bought an old early 80s model 2 stage Toro 421 a couple years ago off of here. Buying up north was much cheaper than down here to buy used. Toro and Ariens is where its at. I won't touch sears again with hteir Chinese motors these days on some of the units...if not all.

Top Bottom