• ...and so much more!
  • natdscott

User Unknown
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 20, 2015
    Roger.

Trouble with tractors is the same as stripped AR lowers...they breed parts and attachments!

-Nate

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Take a look here:
    Sears.com
    I've got this one:
    Sears.com

The only thing I dont like is you really gotta manhandle it to turn it beyond the tweaks on the move. (like turning 180 to make another pass) The plastic feet also suck. my rough concrete drive really wears them down like 40 grit sandpaper. The only things I would change is one with metal feet and a split axle to help with turns.

Reminds me I need to start looking for metal replacement feet...

17 squirrel

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 15, 2013

Brandon

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 28, 2010
    SE Indy
    Never had an issue with it sliding on ice as it has tread that does a good job digging into, also it has a tilt feature to dig the front end into the ice while lifting up most of the track (either forward or backwards tilting). Keep the grease up and it's all good.

(this is what I have - we have the snow cab too - no snow blowing on me!)
    690x430_921023_Deluxe_28_Track_01_Final.png

K_W

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Aug 14, 2008
    Indy / Carmel
    You guys really give single stages a bad rap and are trying to sell him a 5lb sledge to hammer a nail... I have a 2006 Toro CCR2450 single stage. It's a beast and it's twice handled the 10" snows we got here in Indy recently.

Single stages require some technique to work properly, you just don't just pull the cord and push it. With a single stage, you lift up on the handle to press the paddles into the ground and they will clean right down to bare pavement, pull itself forward, and chew through the nastiest crud.

Two stage with a normal Indianapolis snowfall of 1 to 2 inches?... don't bother, you just make a mess. A two stage needs at least 2.5 to 3 inches to impart enough inertia to the fluffy stuff to propel it beyond your next row.

Also good luck maneuvering around to cleaning up the missed stuff with a 150 lb monster. Your back will hate you.

I can do my same size driveway with a 5hp single in 1/2 the time as my neighbor with an 8hp 2 stage, and that doesn't include them cleaning up the missed bits with a shovel.

A two stage is best for 4 or more inches or those times when you had a really heavy wet snow... then play came through... and then it dropped to -8 and the drifts and crud pile at the end of you drive is froze solid... then you'd want a 2 stage.

Last edited:

17 squirrel

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 15, 2013
    You guys real give single stages a bad rap and are trying to sell him a 5lb sledge to hammer a nail... I have a 2006 Toro CCR2450 single stage. It's a beast and it's twice handled the 10" snows we got here in Indy recently.

Single stages require some technique to work properly, you just don't just pull the lever and push it. With a single stage, you lift up on the handle to press the paddles into the ground and they will clean right down to bare pavement, pull itself forward and chew through the nastiest crud.

Two stage with a normal Indianapolis snowfall of 1 to 2 inches?... don't bother, you just make a mess.

Ten inches of light and fluffy, not a problem with single stages. Now try it on ten inches of wet and heavy or light and fluffy with inch of ice on top.
    Plus you have those rubbers on the flappers or auger you have to replace, and it always seems to need replacement the night before a snow storm. Lol
    But i will say they definitely have there place.
    Me, when I buy a machine I prefer that it does the work not me.

K_W

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Aug 14, 2008
    Indy / Carmel
    Ten inches of light and fluffy, not a problem with single stages. (True) Now try it on ten inches of wet and heavy (Did it.) or light and fluffy with inch of ice on top. (Only once seen that in Indy in 30 years)
    Plus you have those rubbers on the flappers or auger you have to replace, (True) and it always seems to need replacement the night before a snow storm. Lol (Maintenance failure)
    But i will say they definitely have there place.
    Me, when I buy a machine I prefer that it does the work not me.

My single stage is unfazed by your criticism sir. :-)

Doug

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    69   0   0
    Sep 5, 2008
    Indianapolis
    My advice is figure out how much money you've got to spend and go to Henthornes at 2220 Lafayette Road.
    I got a great deal on a used blower and it works well for my needs. New is shiny, but you can often get a better machine for the money buying used. They won't sell you junk.

9mmfan

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 26, 2011
    Mishawaka
    I've used the Toro single stage for years. I have the smallest gas powered one, a CCR Powerlite. It's 16" wide and is a beast. Throws snow 10 or 15 feet. And it clears right down to the pavement (as long as you haven't driven on the snow first ). The bigger units can go through a foot or more of snow with ease.
    And wet sloppy snow causes trouble with both types of snowblowers.

Edit: I used to sell snowblower. We sold Toro and Ariens. For 2 or 3 feet of snow a two stage Ariens is the way to go.

mrjarrell

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 18, 2009
    Hamilton County
    Picked up my Huskee (Tecumseh engine) years ago at Tractor Supply and have had no issues. Electric start and it eats all kinds of snow and ice. Only had to replace the tires on it over the years, (knock on wood). If you know there's snow coming just stage it at the rear of your garage the night before and run an extension cord to it. It's never let me down yet and the price was good.

Huskee 24 in. Two-Stage Snow Thrower, CARB Compliant - For Life Out Here

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    If there were neighbor kids I could pay to shovel I'd have been paying them for the last ten years. Even if there were kids around I'm looking for something more reliable lol.

KittySlayer

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 29, 2013
    Northeast IN
    ...my driveway is three cars wide, two cars long.

You may find you need something that throws snow pretty far. When you are in the middle of that driveway where do you want the snow to go? Will the blower be able to throw it there?

I have a Toro single stage 2 cycle that I have been very happy with for my needs. Small, easy to operate, does the job for my driveway generally. For a really deep snow or a wet snow I need to keep up with the storm and clear about every time 4-5 inches has dumped. I have one section where the drive is wider for a turn around. With the limited single stage throw I have to move the snow from the far point to about 7 feet from the yard then make a second pass to get it to the yard. This is a pretty small area that I have do deal with this on so not a big deal but your drive sounds like more of a challenge.

Top Bottom