• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Slow Hand

Master
    Rating - 99.3%
    146   1   0
    Aug 27, 2008
    West Side
    Drove down to Big Oaks yesterday to do my safety briefing. Got a sheet with numbers for the past 20 years. Last year in general was very low. the spot e picked has historically been fairly low, but it looks good. Some mature woods and a creek. Got my Marlin .357 sighted in with 180gr XTP’s. Haven’t been after deer for three or four years so hoping to get lucky!

two70

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Feb 5, 2016
    Johnson
    I have to ask what's in the plot? Looks like clover to the left with maybe something else mixed in, did you guys install the beans? My clover struggles beween getting eaten and a stubby foxtail that tries to choke it out.

What is the gadget on the post?
    Try Balansa clover. We have typically had the same problem with clover but tried Balansa this year. It was all 4 groundhogs and a horde of deer could do to keep our .5 acre patch chewed down to 10-12" tall and weeds were quickly choked out.

DragonGunner

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 14, 2010
    N. Central IN
    Sunday morning had little buck go by and 3 does and a yearling 400 yds out in field, then 800 yards out I saw a moose! Lol...but it was a big body buck, sunlight hit just enough to show some antlers....so even though no pictures of him in my woods he isn't far away, and sooner or later will be coming down the fence line, gives me hope now, hope to get out again the rest of the week at least in the mornings and do a little rattling. Disturbing is only 10 minutes into shooting light I here a gunshot about 1/4 miles from me, dang, ain't no squirrels out yet....bad feeling poaching, sister said the day before just before sunrise she heard a shot also. Pretty sure I know pretty well wheres its coming from, isolated house back in woods.....but what can one do...?

jy951

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Feb 18, 2009
    Sunday morning had little buck go by and 3 does and a yearling 400 yds out in field, then 800 yards out I saw a moose! Lol...but it was a big body buck, sunlight hit just enough to show some antlers....so even though no pictures of him in my woods he isn't far away, and sooner or later will be coming down the fence line, gives me hope now, hope to get out again the rest of the week at least in the mornings and do a little rattling. Disturbing is only 10 minutes into shooting light I here a gunshot about 1/4 miles from me, dang, ain't no squirrels out yet....bad feeling poaching, sister said the day before just before sunrise she heard a shot also. Pretty sure I know pretty well wheres its coming from, isolated house back in woods.....but what can one do...?

Could be coyote hunting or something else. Hard to say. I here random shots like that also and try to ignore them.

AtTheMurph

SHOOTER
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 18, 2013
    Over the next couple weeks I will hear shots all over. Especially November 12th. I hear more shots in my area on the day before firearms season than I do opening weekend.
    On opening day in Wisconsin I count the number of shots I hear in he first hour to give me something to do.

I am pretty sure the record I have heard is over 300. Almost every year the number is well over 150. I especially like the guys who I know are shooting "Assault Style" weapons ;) and rattle off 15-20 rounds in succession. Get's the count up high and i know they didn't hit squat!

DEC

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jul 25, 2008
    Angola
    Oh sweet November.

This guy came into a mock scrape this morning that I had just freshened up on the way in. I hit him with a grunt call and that was all she wrote. When he got to about 20 yards, I let an arrow fly. He dove on his face, got up, did a complete front flip, got up again, and snow plowed to his final resting spot, not 25 yards from where I shot him. Photos do not do his rack justice. 19 1/2 inch inside spread and tons of mass. I weighed him, but with his back feet still on the ground and being completely out of elevation in my lift, he only registered the scales at 230# field dressed ... LOL. Just a tank of a deer. Coolest part ... he had a legitimate mane down his neck.

All on video ... if you are into that thing you will have to wait ... as I still have another tag in my pocket and I am heading to Missouri to hunt next week also.

Derek Craig - Indiana Reduction Zone Buck-2.jpg Derek Craig - Indiana Reduction Zone Buck-1.jpg Derek Craig - Indiana Reduction Zone Buck-3.jpg

ndawoods25

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2011
    Martinsville
    Monday deer update. Crossed the horse pasture on my way to my stand. Got eyes glowing watching me. I get within 75 yds small 8 point, just inside his ears. He watches me for couple seconds then takes off. i saw nothing from my stand. Sat till 1400. Got down and went back to camper for some lunch. Decided to sit on the hay field. I got a stand in woods 200 yds to catch them stagging in light waiting for dark to hit field. At 1705 I heard something walking behind me. i dare not turn and look. Too close behind me.. A yearling doe walk right under my stand, goes into the bottom and dissapeared. 30 minutes later a yearling come outta the thicket into the hardwoods. Starts to pick up acorns. 5 minutes later an adult doe joins her. They eat for 10-12 min and return to thicket. 10 minutes later an adult doe appears down the ridge from me. Goes in the bottom, then Goes into same thicket as the other 2. 30 minutes later I see movement at end of ridge to my right. All of a sudden the 2 does, an adult and yearling sprint down the ridge 250 yds right to behind me. Yearling eats as momma stood 5 foot from my stand staring into the bottom. 5 minutes later she turns and walks directly away behind me with little 1 in tow. 10 minutes later it's dark enough for me to get down. Still haven't seen any big boys..

ndawoods25

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2011
    Martinsville
    Oh sweet November.

This guy came into a mock scrape this morning that I had just freshened up on the way in. I hit him with a grunt call and that was all she wrote. When he got to about 20 yards, I let an arrow fly. He dove on his face, got up, did a complete front flip, got up again, and snow plowed to his final resting spot, not 25 yards from where I shot him. Photos do not do his rack justice. 19 1/2 inch inside spread and tons of mass. I weighed him, but with his back feet still on the ground and being completely out of elevation in my lift, he only registered the scales at 230# field dressed ... LOL. Just a tank of a deer. Coolest part ... he had a legitimate mane down his neck.

All on video ... if you are into that thing you will have to wait ... as I still have another tag in my pocket and I am heading to Missouri to hunt next week also.

View attachment 165996 View attachment 165997 View attachment 165998
    Very nice

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    We had 5 unattended does come in and one doe with a young buck in tow show up in the soybeans & clover last night. The buck was doing a little chasing but nothing extreme and no signs of other bucks until we were leaving, there was something inside the woods we couldn't see but it sure sounded like some chasing.

We're hearing the same thing we're experiencing from several fiends in other areas of the state. Absolutely nothing moving in the mornings, the last hour to ninety minutes of daylight there's some activity. They don't appear to be terribly fired up yet.

roscott

Master
    Rating - 97.5%
    39   1   0
    Mar 1, 2009
    Hunted last night and this morning, and it definitely seems like the rut is kicking off. We were in Warren County, and we saw loads of movement the whole time. Saw some bucks following does, and one buck breeding a doe.

Had a nice 8 point at full draw at 15 yards, which is extra exciting when you’re hunting on the ground. Let him pass and was glad I did, because I got a glimpse of buckzilla later on. Hope to run into him again!

ndawoods25

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2011
    Martinsville
    Wednesday update. Sat am till 1400, nothing but squirrels. Went to camper had lunch. Back on different stand at 1530. Sat till dark. Nothing but squirrels. Day was a wash

jagee

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 19, 2013
    New Palestine
    Work during the week means I can't hunt. Dad duty over this coming weekend means I can't hunt.

I have 1 week of vacation time to burn before the end of the year...just need to decide what week to do it. Usually I take off the week of Thanksgiving for gun hunting, but the crossbow opens me up to a whole new world this year.

Michigan Slim

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 19, 2014
    Fort Wayne
    Sat four hours last night in Huntington County. Got winded by a doe being chased by a little buck. About a half hour before the end I saw the bottom half of a big deer through the trees. Big body but it stayed in the thick. Almost hit the little buck with my truck on my way out.

Top Bottom