• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    Sounds similar to our situation. EHD smoked the herd a few years back before my hunting partner bought 75 acres. He busted his butt over the past two years and the results are definitely paying off. We're seeing at least a dozen different bucks on a regular basis and we've had one or two really nice ones that we've only seen once or twice.

We're confident his place will hold them like a magnet in a couple of years. Should be an amazing place to hunt. Good luck!
    What are you guys using to keep the unwelcome visitors out?

jagee

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 19, 2013
    New Palestine
    Walking out for lunch I ran in to a little 4 pointer. Had an easy shot at like 5 yards but decided to pass. Only deer I saw all day.

ndawoods25

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2011
    Martinsville
    Saturday update. Rain in the am sleep in. Got on stand at 1500. Sat till dark. Saw 6 deer. A small buck was pestering a doe. She wouldn't have none of it. Saw a button buck. And then 3 single does walk through. Not seeing any big boys yet.

Victory106

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 28, 2021
    Fort Wayne
    I didn't get anything last year or the year before. Had plenty of opportunities but wanted the wife to get something. Last year she shot a huge 8 point and I think I was more excited than she was. We butcher our own, so that was enough for me to process.

This year I'm shooting something regardless. Bought a new rifle and all.

Michigan Slim

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 19, 2014
    Fort Wayne
    Hunted Friday evening in the rain. When the water started running down my back I climbed down. Two does we're walking right to me. Doh! Oh well. Going out this afternoon.

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    What are you guys using to keep the unwelcome visitors out?
    The two legged variety?

Right or wrong, our approach has always been the same and it's been effective thus far. If we catch someone on our property without permission we do not hold back when confronting them. We've never gotten into a physical confrontation (or even threatened it) over trespassing but I'm pretty sure every person we've come in to contact with wasn't sure we wouldn't. Fortunately for us we're nowhere near any public land so we don't have to deal with it frequently, word seems to spread pretty quickly in rural areas/towns.

The result is that we end up with a bad reputation in the area at first but once people actually get to know us things calm down pretty quickly. We have allowed (and most of the time helped) neighbors if they have a deer come onto us after it's been shot. All they need to do is ask, if we find someone on the property without permission they'd better be searching for a lost child or they're not going to enjoy the interaction.

ndawoods25

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2011
    Martinsville
    Sunday sit. Had a small 6 pointer walk through at 840. Sat till 1430. Nothing but wind getting stronger. On my way back to camp, a wide 20 point come outta the woods, ran across road 50 yds in front of my truck. Jumped fence and ran to the wood line 400 yards away. The whole time his mouth was gaped open and tongue hanging out. At a brisk trot.. Good sign it's REAL close

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    We sat yesterday evening in a blind overlooking beans and clover and watched about 8 deer over the course of the last 90 minutes of light. Heading back to the same spot this evening but we aren't really expecting too much. Big temperature drop coming, the next several days could get interesting.

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    I have to ask what's in the plot? Looks like clover to the left with maybe something else mixed in, did you guys install the beans? My clover struggles beween getting eaten and a stubby foxtail that tries to choke it out.

What is the gadget on the post?
    Yep, clover on the left and soybeans we planted on the right. The post just has a branch on it right now that they can come sniff and lick, it holds a feeder until around the middle of August when we pull it off of the post. There are a couple of cameras on it also.

Top Bottom