• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Oct 3, 2008
    On a hill in Perry C
    Recharged the mineral lick a couple of weeks ago. They've been tearing it up!
    Big Boy put in an appearance this afternoon. From the kitchen window maybe 30 yards.
    PnPsnXJ.jpg

q941Rfr.jpg

roscott

Master
    Rating - 97.5%
    39   1   0
    Mar 1, 2009
    No bonus antlerless this year???????
    Yeah, I was pretty disappointed when I saw that. I wish they would open it without regard to bonus tags; just let us have another opportunity to fill the regular doe tags. Two weeks isn’t enough fun for some of us!

Michigan Slim

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 19, 2014
    Fort Wayne
    Yeah, I was pretty disappointed when I saw that. I wish they would open it without regard to bonus tags; just let us have another opportunity to fill the regular doe tags. Two weeks isn’t enough fun for some of us!
    Six weeks of bow, two gun then two muzzleloader then more bow. But I like the bonus time too. Might have snow then.

yetti462

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 18, 2016
    Unglaciated heaven
    Installed my single pin sight last week and zeroed it in @ 20. I can already tell the difference in accuracy. the 5 pin fiber optics I had were blurring together making it hard to put the pin on a spot.
    Liking the single!!!

Buck forage oats are about 3" tall. My corn is the best stand I've had in years

El Conquistador

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Jan 28, 2019
    far from here
    The bucks usually start seeking does last week of October and first week of November after that it starts to pick up. This has been my observation over the past few decades of hunting. Others may have a different opinion but in a nut shell this is when it happens

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    I ask because I would like to make a couple of mock scrapes and didn't want to get them in too early.
    From what I've read, the suggestion is to start them one month before the begining of the rut.

two70

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Feb 5, 2016
    Johnson
    I ask because I would like to make a couple of mock scrapes and didn't want to get them in too early.
    From what I've read, the suggestion is to start them one month before the begining of the rut.
    Scraping activity is usually the most intense during the 2nd and 3rd weeks of October before declining at the end of the month as does start to come into estrous. However, I prefer to have my mock scrapes in well before then. IMO, sooner is better than later and any time after velvet shed is not too early.

In answer to your original question the peak of the rut, when most does are bred, is November 15th. You can think of that date as the center of a bell curve with rutting activity ramping up for about two weeks prior and tapering off for about two weeks afterwards.

DragonGunner

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 14, 2010
    N. Central IN
    With the cool off this week may get my portable stands up. Oct is when I usually take a doe, see a few little bucks, very rare I see a big one until Nov. The closer to the 15th the more likely to get a shot as these guys are staying out a little later in the mornings and traveling more. The exceptions imho of getting a big buck early is if your super close to his bedding area and can get in and out without disturbing him, disturb him once and he's gone until closer to the rut.

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    I've not seen much on the cameras, and with another drug dealer moving in next to my property line I'm expecting another poor year.

Trevelayan

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Dec 11, 2014
    Putnam Co.
    Can anyone reccomend a 7.62x39 soft point round they've had good luck with?

I'm going to try using my AK for the first time this year but I've only ever shot targets with bulk FMJ. Something matching 124 grain ballistics is preferable

Top Bottom