• ...and so much more!
  • Michigan Slim

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 19, 2014
    Fort Wayne
    My daughter hit a nice 8 point two weeks ago. Couldn't find it. She was sick about it. It walked out yesterday and seemed fine. Has a broken time so she is positive it's the same deer. She had three bucks and four does around her all morning yesterday. Nothing yet today.

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    Well I guess I'm going to have to find something else to do this week. Between the warm weather and the 475.23 trillion acres of corn which is still standing around here our chances at a decent buck are less than that of a meteor made of bologna landing softly on top of our camper.

Frustrating to no end

patience0830

.22 magician
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 96.6%
    28   1   0
    Nov 3, 2008
    Not far from the tree
    Well I guess I'm going to have to find something else to do this week. Between the warm weather and the 475.23 trillion acres of corn which is still standing around here our chances at a decent buck are less than that of a meteor made of bologna landing softly on top of our camper.

Frustrating to no end
    Just circumstance. Enjoy the time, brother. It's nice to kill a biggun, but we call it huntin' for a reason.;)

Michigan Slim

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 19, 2014
    Fort Wayne

Frustrating to no end
    Get some rattle antlers or a rattle bag. A little doe in heat scent and they will come.

jagee

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 19, 2013
    New Palestine

Frustrating to no end
    Wanna help me put my ladder stand up in the rain on Friday?

yetti462

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 18, 2016
    Unglaciated heaven
    Saddle as in terrain feature? Or tree saddle?
    terrain feature. I think it must be an indian burial ground or something. In 15 I missed the same buck twice in same day it was November 1. In 2017 on October 14 I missed a 12, yesterday was a big 10. I fell out of a stand here too, thank goodness for lifeline. Bad voodoo karma with this place. I'm done with it.

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    Just circumstance. Enjoy the time, brother. It's nice to kill a biggun, but we call it huntin' for a reason.;)
    It’s not really not killing a buck at this point, I got fired so I’ve got all season for that lol. It’s just disappointing to not be able to see the rut when it’s going on. If I can kill a doe or two this year I’ll be just fine with that I just really, really enjoy it when the woods are going crazy and hate to miss it. We spend a lot of time and energy trying to improve the habitat while looking forward to this week all year.

Under the current conditions everything will be happening at night and/or in and around the corn.

Tryin'

Victimized
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Nov 18, 2009
    Hamilton County
    It’s not really not killing a buck at this point, I got fired so I’ve got all season for that lol. It’s just disappointing to not be able to see the rut when it’s going on. If I can kill a doe or two this year I’ll be just fine with that I just really, really enjoy it when the woods are going crazy and hate to miss it. We spend a lot of time and energy trying to improve the habitat while looking forward to this week all year.

Under the current conditions everything will be happening at night and/or in and around the corn.

Around my spot, the corn has been out for weeks. Unfortunately, that means everything has been plowed as well. Monster furrows of pain-in-the-butt-to-walk-on muddy mess. Honestly not sure which I like less. I feel ya, though!

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    Around my spot, the corn has been out for weeks. Unfortunately, that means everything has been plowed as well. Monster furrows of pain-in-the-butt-to-walk-on muddy mess. Honestly not sure which I like less. I feel ya, though!
    We don’t have to walk any of it so it’s all benefit for us when it’s down. I sure thought of all years, that this one we wouldn’t have to worry about standing corn for the rut but man was I wrong.

Last edited:

patience0830

.22 magician
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 96.6%
    28   1   0
    Nov 3, 2008
    Not far from the tree

I'm with you on the rut voyeuring. Fun to watch the Boyz lose their minds and the girls be annoyed with them. Reminds me of high school.

buckwacker

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 23, 2012
    It's different for me, I need the standing corn. Once it's down, deer disappear from my place. It was down the beginning of October this year, so I haven't seen anything in the handful of sits I've climbed the tree.

ndawoods25

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2011
    Martinsville
    Sun update. Took couple days to go home,, daughter's 16th bday. Sat till 1300. Only saw 1 doe to warm for afternoon sit. I'm in orange county. I'm not really seeing ANY rut activities. All does I see don't have any boys trailing them

El Conquistador

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Jan 28, 2019
    far from here
    Got this buck yesterday morning about 830am at my place in Jefferson County. 10 point with a broken tine, field dressed 160 lbs. He came in quick and I only had a few seconds to decide if I wanted him. 25 yard shot, double lung and he still ran 150 yards before I found him. I got 3 grandsons hunting this weekend to take care of. Good luck to all still hunting.

Attachments

• thumbnail_IMG_0101.jpg
      thumbnail_IMG_0101.jpg
      50.6 KB · Views: 35
    • thumbnail_IMG_0108(1).jpg
      thumbnail_IMG_0108(1).jpg
      51.9 KB · Views: 35

spencer rifle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    68   0   0
    Apr 15, 2011
    Scrounging brass
    I haven't been hunting very long (6 years or so) but I have never had an opportunity at a buck - until today. I am never one to pass up an opportunity, and it's always been does and always during gun season. Never got one during archery season. 23 yard crossbow shot from a tree stand. Saw him coming from the east and thought he might take a trail behind me, but adjusted his course to right in front. He ran off east while I got down and packed up. Thought he might head for the standing corn, but he doubled back down the farm lane and back into the woods. Got about 60 yards away and about 10 yards off the lane and collapsed. He was still thrashing so I packed out and got the van. Dead in 15 minutes. I think he outweighs me - had a heck of a time hauling him out. Good thing it wasn't far.
    254013074_10226989304217362_6821445035505271257_n.jpg

254267357_10226989304777376_8658575556560958373_n.jpg

252698588_10226989304377366_7177912702795243278_n.jpg

Last edited:

roscott

Master
    Rating - 97.5%
    39   1   0
    Mar 1, 2009
    C24AAB5C-10EF-4786-B9B6-4C960E0C0593.png Some great looking bucks in here. Seeing lots of activity on the camera, especially early morning. I won’t be able to get back out there until Friday, so hopefully they’ll still be rutting hard!

ndawoods25

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2011
    Martinsville
    Tues update. All day sit. Saw 3 hen turkeys at 8 am. One of them is bearded. 8 point buck walking and looking at 10 am. Passed, nice height but inside the ears. Nothing else until 530. A doe and yearling. Cam within 60 yds and fed downhill. 602 I can see 18 yds. I hear footsteps. I hear a grunt. I grunted back. He went back into the pines. At least I'm seeing something. Now just waiting for big nasty

Michigan Slim

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 19, 2014
    Fort Wayne
    Saw a nice buck laying on US30 last night. My wife heard about it on the radio two hours before I saw it. He had a police guard two hours later. Lots of mass and a big body.

Top Bottom