• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • WebSnyper

Time to make the chimichangas
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    Now when the aliens attack Earth they will all line up so they look like satellites and we won't know what is going on until it is too late.
    They will probably do it during the weekly siren test too.
    As long as they bring good internet with the probes they want to install, should be all good.

mom45

Momerator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 10, 2013
    NW of Sunshine
    We were sitting around a fire with friends last night and one of them noticed the train going through...we all looked up and had no clue what we were seeing. One of the younger crowd that was with us immediately, said it was a train of starlink satellites. After a quick internet search, we were all discussing what we had just seen. I have mixed feelings about 12,000 of those satellites being added to our world.

nonobaddog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 10, 2015
    Tropical Minnesota
    We were sitting around a fire with friends last night and one of them noticed the train going through...we all looked up and had no clue what we were seeing. One of the younger crowd that was with us immediately, said it was a train of starlink satellites. After a quick internet search, we were all discussing what we had just seen. I have mixed feelings about 12,000 of those satellites being added to our world.

There sure is a lot of space stuff orbiting us now, some useful, most not so much. It seems likely there will be a down side at some point.

Last August - . ESA estimates the total number of Space objects in Earth orbit around 29,000 for sizes larger than 10 cm, 670,000 for sizes larger than 1 cm and more than 170 million for sizes larger than 1 mm!

https://www.geospatialworld.net/blo...can cause damage to an operational spacecraft.

mom45

Momerator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 10, 2013
    NW of Sunshine
    It was pretty cool to see but I like being able to star gaze without worrying about satellites falling on my head. :lmfao:

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    Starlink update.

We have not experienced a dropout in weeks. It may have at some point, but if it did, it had to be really short and during a time no one noticed. The speed seems to always be above 50 mbps and well over 100 mbps most of the time. I don't check very often anymore because it just works. I had to restart the router about a week ago because my daughter's Surface tablet/laptop thing wouldn't connect, but that's about it.

Starlink merch:

1623181425239.png

Alamo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Oct 4, 2010
    Texas
    Houghmade's chugging along on outdated equipment...:D

Elon Musk’s Starlink files FCC application for user terminal with smaller antenna (teslarati.com)

SpaceX’s recent FCC application asked the authority for permission to test five new user terminals in Washington, Texas, Utah, Colorado, and California.
    Texas! Maybe Elon will send me one to test!

SpaceX recently got approval to put their satellites at lower orbit. This lets them change the receive antenna to receive signal from a shorter distance but a wider area. Hence the the new antenna.

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County
    Well, I went and submitted my order. Elon Musk will be sending me a dish and router so I can get SpaceX internet in the next few weeks. The “fastest” internet I can get at home is Frontier DSL at a whopping 6 mbps down when no one else on my road is on the web, but usually closer to 3 to 4. Starlink (it’s in beta) represents 50-150 mbps....which would be like heaven. If we are going to video chat, no one else can use the internet- just an example.

It’s an investment, but with the kids doing an online charter school (even before this mess), faster internet is not a luxury, it’s a necessity.

I’ll update from time to time. I’ve been watching videos. It has a built-in heater to melt snow and automatically positions itself. No pointing and hoping like when I had satellite TV.

Now I know why they decided to finally start a fiberoptic line through my rural area. They now have competition for our business. I pay $80 a month for internet now. It's just 25mg dl 1.5 up. My boy in Louisville has 200 dl and 50 up for $49 a month. Guess it's one of those things you have to pay if you want internet access in the rural areas.

Alamo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Oct 4, 2010
    Texas

This launch delivered the final satellites for the first shell of the constellation to orbit. Prior to launch, there were 1,677 Starlink satellites in orbit, including demo satellites (1,578 satellites are currently active). After a successful L28 launch and orbit raising maneuvers, the first shell will consist of 1,584 satellites orbiting at an altitude of 550 kilometers, inclined 53 degrees to the equator.

The entire first shell of Starlink satellites will be in its operational orbit within the next few months, which will enable service for 80 percent of the world.

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    Now I know why they decided to finally start a fiberoptic line through my rural area. They now have competition for our business. I pay $80 a month for internet now. It's just 25mg dl 1.5 up. My boy in Louisville has 200 dl and 50 up for $49 a month. Guess it's one of those things you have to pay if you want internet access in the rural areas.
    Living close to the city has (very few) benefits. Cheap and fast internet is one.

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    Living close to the city has (very few) benefits. Cheap and fast internet is one.
    That is indeed the benefit that I can discern.

Honestly, I am happy to pay $99 a month for good, but sub-fiber speeds (I would pay more, but don't tell Elon). 'Course, I also drive 35+ miles each way every day from my rural paradise to an urban area because that's where the $$ is...but there are plenty of reasons why I'm not looking to shorten my commute by moving closer.

Shooter5

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jun 19, 2008
    Indiana
    I’m in N. E. Indiana…I signed up in March ‘21…I’m still waiting for Starlink. It looks like there are some here in Indiana that now have it. Is it moving from South to North? Trying to figure out when I will be able to get my equipment.

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    I’m in N. E. Indiana…I signed up in March ‘21…I’m still waiting for Starlink. It looks like there are some here in Indiana that now have it. Is it moving from South to North? Trying to figure out when I will be able to get my equipment.
    I signed up in Feb. in NWI. It took 5 weeks. However, once they got enough users in each area for the beta, I think others have to wait.

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    Starlink has just silently been working without incident for a long time now. No noticeable down time or need to reboot in months.

Bought a new smart TV a couple of months ago and now regularly stream 4k video while others are using their devices. No lag, no wait. Speed tests regularly show speeds of 150 mbps. No complaints.

Top Bottom