• ...and so much more!
  • Who would you vote for right now?

• Total voters

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    If he was just referring to the words, that would be correct.

How ever, it's a group, and my understanding of the group is that their goals culminate in taking back territory lost in the Mexican-American war.

I'm not an expert on the organization. I'm more familiar with Spanish spoken, and history, of the Caribbean. But I have never heard that before.... not to say that there isn't a group whose name contains "La raza" that doesn't have that intent. The National Council however, I seriously doubt.

Tombs

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Martinsville
    I'm not an expert on the organization. I'm more familiar with Spanish spoken, and history, of the Caribbean. But I have never heard that before.... not to say that there isn't a group whose name contains "La raza" that doesn't have that intent. The National Council however, I seriously doubt.

I went digging for where I heard of this.

Sotomayor's Ties to La Raza - Tom Tancredo

Among these affiliates are several chapters of the Movimiento Estudiantil Chicano de Aztlán (Chicano Student Movement of Aztlán) who La Raza helps fund. Aztlán is what radical “Mechistas”—as they refer to themselves on La Raza’s website—call the American Southwest, which they claim still belongs to Mexico. Their slogan is "Por La Raza todo, Fuera de La Raza nada" meaning “For the Race everything, outside the Race nothing.” One chapter says on La Raza’s site that their mission is “empowerment of our gente and the liberation of Aztlán.”

Que

Meekness ≠ Weakness
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98%
    48   1   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Blacksburg
    I have a special needs daughter and I have not taken a penny....The school tried having that conversation with us and one look at our expression ended that conversation...That may change as we get older but as of now we are sticking by our principles....

Why would it change as you got older? The hope is there would not be an option in the future, right? If needed, I hope you daughter is afforded the help she needs, while she needs it.

AmmoManAaron

Master
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Feb 20, 2015
    I-get-around
    Obviously you don't quite get the meaning of the word/phrase. In Spanish, the words often change from their literal meaning, into something else. "La Raza," literally means "The Race," but is more commonly understood as "The People," which can also be said "Mi gente." An example of this, is that in a number of Spanish speaking places a car would be said as "El coche," despite the literal meaning being that of a horse-drawn coach. El coche is slowly falling out of favor, and being replaced by the relatively new word "El carro."

But whatever, no one will appreciate the language lesson.

Disclaimer: I know I'm jumping in, but I'm not speaking for anyone else here or taking up their arguments.

The language lesson is fine. Curiel's rulings and comments from the bench seem reasonable. Donald Trump says stupid stuff, including calling Curiel a Mexican, and that is a problem. Equally problematic though is that most of the mainstream media is ignoring the actions, goals, and rhetoric of the National Council of La Raza and it's associated organizations. Maybe the San Diego La Raza Lawyers Association is a kinder, gentler version, but membership by any judge or prosecutor should still be alarming. Keep in mind that the San Diego La Raza Lawyers Association links to the National Council of La Raza on their webpage - not cool and not something easily explained away with a language lesson.

Que

Meekness ≠ Weakness
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98%
    48   1   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Blacksburg
    Disclaimer: I know I'm jumping in, but I'm not speaking for anyone else here or taking up their arguments.

The language lesson is fine. Curiel's rulings and comments from the bench seem reasonable. Donald Trump says stupid stuff, including calling Curiel a Mexican, and that is a problem. Equally problematic though is that most of the mainstream media is ignoring the actions, goals, and rhetoric of the National Council of La Raza and it's associated organizations. Maybe the San Diego La Raza Lawyers Association is a kinder, gentler version, but membership by any judge or prosecutor should still be alarming. Keep in mind that the San Diego La Raza Lawyers Association links to the National Council of La Raza on their webpage - not cool and not something easily explained away with a language lesson.

I know absolutely NOTHING about the organization and checked out their website based on your post. I understand how organizations like this have been viewed in the past and I don't really want to get into that. But, can you direct me to something I can read that could inform me about everyone's concerns about this organization and its members?

indiucky

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    I know absolutely NOTHING about the organization and checked out their website based on your post. I understand how organizations like this have been viewed in the past and I don't really want to get into that. But, can you direct me to something I can read that could inform me about everyone's concerns about this organization and its members?

I found a little Que...One from the right, one from the left....

Right

http://www.groupsnoop.org/National+Council+of+La+Raza

Left

https://www.learningtogive.org/resources/national-council-la-raza

I think at one time the National Council of La Raza was connected to (in the late 1960's) a Chicano group who were a bit more radical than the main organization is now...

Key among the secondary organizations is the radical racist group Movimiento Estudiantil Chicano de Aztlan, or Chicano Student Movement of Aztlan (MEChA), one of the most anti-American groups in the country, which has permeated U.S. campuses since the 1960s, and continues its push to carve a racist nation out of the American West.
    One of America’s greatest strengths has always been taking in immigrants from cultures around the world, and assimilating them into our country as Americans. By being citizens of the U.S. we are Americans first, and only, in our national loyalties.
    This is totally opposed by MEChA for the hordes of illegal immigrants pouring across our borders, to whom they say:
    “Chicano is our identity; it defines who we are as people. It rejects the notion that we…should assimilate into the Anglo-American melting pot…Aztlan was the legendary homeland of the Aztecas … It became synonymous with the vast territories of the Southwest, brutally stolen from a Mexican people marginalized and betrayed by the hostile custodians of the Manifest Destiny.” (Statement on University of Oregon MEChA Website, Jan. 3, 2006)
    MEChA isn’t at all shy about their goals, or their views of other races. Their founding principles are contained in these words in “El Plan Espiritual de Aztlan” (The Spiritual Plan for Aztlan):
    “In the spirit of a new people that is conscious not only of its proud historical heritage but also of the brutal gringo invasion of our territories, we, the Chicano inhabitants and civilizers of the northern land of Aztlan from whence came our forefathers, reclaiming the land of their birth and consecrating the determination of our people of the sun, declare that the call of our blood is our power, our responsibility, and our inevitable destiny. … Aztlan belongs to those who plant the seeds, water the fields, and gather the crops and not to the foreign Europeans. … We are a bronze people with a bronze culture. Before the world, before all of North America, before all our brothers in the bronze continent, we are a nation, we are a union of free pueblos, we are Aztlan. For La Raza todo. Fuera de La Raza nada.”

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    So, by "take on for the team" are you saying you will not accept your social security? Isn't that a "benefit" you pay for? I can only commend someone when they embrace a certain belief and willing to stick to it. Most simply talk the talk, but will still accept the "handout" when in need.

I would do it if all the rest of the stuff were to follow suit. But hey, I'm a baby boomer. Like everybody else, I'm going to collect my checks and I'm going to make sure all you Gen Xers, Gen Yers, millineals, etal keep paying taxes so I can have a nice, long retirement. Screw it. If it's good enough for them, it's good enough for me.

Work harder, boys! Us retirees will be depending on you.

femurphy77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 5, 2009
    S.E. of disorder
    Trump

holding-nose-while-voting-gif_93960_20141106-107.gif

Hey! I thought cameras weren't allowed in the voting booth! That's what primary day looked like in our precinct.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish

I meant to post this in the "Trump" thread but since you mentioned Curiel, I'll post my thoughts on the Curiel ordeal here. On CNN a few days ago Michael Smirconish, an Attorney himself, said that there is a mechanism to request a judge to recuse himself. I don't recall the name of the mechanism, but if Trump believed that Curiel has a conflict of interest, why hasn't he instructed his lawyers to file it? If his Lawyers really believe that the judge has a conflict of interest, they'd be incompetent not to file it. So why hasn't Team Trump done that? My answer: To me, since I've heard of the lawsuit over Trump University I've thought TU sounds like a scam. I kinda think that Trump believes he will lose and is preparing his supporters with an excuse, that he lost because the judge was biased and not because he was running a scam.

Tombs

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Martinsville

I'd expect any legal immigrant would be more in support of tighter border laws than anyone. They left their country for a reason, and beyond that, it's insulting that someone would take what they worked hard for.

A legal immigrant advocating for looser borders is like a blue collar worker advocating for looser welfare requirements.

Last edited:

IndyDave1776

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012

Would you accept Obama's apparent judgment of them. They are the group to whom he was speaking when he made his infamous 'punish our enemies' speech.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    Even if true, which I doubt, that figure still puts Hillary in the WH. He needs to do better than 40%.... this assumes whites vote the same as they did during 2014, and blacks vote at levels prior to Obama's rise.
    Previous rules are out the window during this election.

Top Bottom