GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    I needed food stamps for a short period after I got out of the Army. Are you suggesting getting rid of them all together or reshaping the system to avoid abuse? I don't qualify for earned income credit.

So far, I get NOTHING that I consider a handout, but I may be wrong. Is anything I mentioned a handout? If we all get something, what do you get that you want cut off?

Ok to start with the feds? I want everything not specifically called for by the US Constitution as a enumerated power to the feds to be cut off. That will make all those on SS howl and I'm getting closer by the day of qualifying myself, but I'd be willing to take one for the team.

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    I totally agree. But I'll give you an example of what I'm talking about. My father is career retired Army. He grew up an Alabama sharecropper, and fought in two wars. As a high ranking NCO, he worked at a Burger King, yes, Burger King to make ends meet... until he was told politely told to stop. As a kid, I remember us using lawn furniture indoors (for a short time), with a plastic crate to hold the TV. Nikes, Reeboks? Ha, I wore only the top of the line from Woolworths, lol. Funny thing, I never thought I was doing without. I only realized what poor was, when our lot got better. I used to be ashamed and embarrassed, but not anymore.

My pop never asked for a handout, never wanted a handout, and truth be told, he doesn't think much of people that do..... but here's the kicker, he's a Democrat. His experiences and subsequent success (he's a United Airlines exec living in San Fran, proper currently) make him what should be THE prototypical Republican: rags to riches, military, Baptist, more guns than a small island nation.

The problem? While he's not exactly a political science expert, he views the Republican Party, generally, as hostile to people of color.... or more correctly, pandering to racists. The fact that the Republican Party has allowed Trump to take the reigns... a guy who tweeted that: "81% of whites are killed by blacks" (false), implied that the majority of Mexican illegals are rapists, drug carriers, and criminals (beside the crime of entering illegally), that he doesn't want black people counting his money, that he has no idea who David Duke is (BFS), and referring to an American born judge as Mexican... I mean c'mon!

People of color, EVEN THE CONSERVATIVE ONES are never going support a party that makes apparent that they are willing to be led by people openly hostile to them.

Hence why I say the GOP is missing it's chance. The fact that there hasn't been an exodus from the party, honestly, is baffling. If Trump is defeated this November, and with minorities becoming more and more of the population each year, I honestly can't see Republicans ever taking the WH again.

We were jealous of people that could buy clothes a Woolworth. We were the folks you'd see pushing their grocery cart of food from the store home because dad couldn't afford to get the car fixed. Much like your dad, my dad said he would never lower himself to take any sort of welfare and as far as I know, we never took any sort of food stamps or welfare, etc. My dad never did become any sort of executive or even own his own house. I don't think he was all that ideologically rigid...my mom on the other hand was a pretty strict democrat. Being white, race wasn't such a problem for her but she viewed the republicans as the party for rich people...even though she disagreed with many of the positions the democrats ultimately came to stand for before she passed away.

Jludo

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 14, 2013
    Indianapolis
    And worse yet, it is entirely possible to find yourself in the position in which you NEED the handout because of the combination of money that has already been taken from you for the program coupled with greatly inflated prices induced by overuse of the resources by people not directly paying for them. Health insurance and higher education are two areas where this is very problematic because of the artificial spike in demand caused by the users of the services not having to cut the check themselves. Same thing with farm subsidies. When the agricultural economy is built around the subsidies, unless you find a really good niche market, you can't make it without taking the sugar like everyone else, unless you really like bankruptcy. It is truly a self-sustaining problem!

Exactly, it's all so backwards. Just saw my health insurance I never use went up another 500 dollars. Just existing as a healthy young man is expensive, yet I can look up online where rich old farmers in my county have taken govt money to the tune of hundreds of thousands of dollars.
    It's too bad average Americans don't have a powerful lobby in DC.

Que

Meekness ≠ Weakness
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98%
    48   1   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Blacksburg
    Ok to start with the feds? I want everything not specifically called for by the US Constitution as a enumerated power to the feds to be cut off. That will make all those on SS howl and I'm getting closer by the day of qualifying myself, but I'd be willing to take one for the team.

So, by "take on for the team" are you saying you will not accept your social security? Isn't that a "benefit" you pay for? I can only commend someone when they embrace a certain belief and willing to stick to it. Most simply talk the talk, but will still accept the "handout" when in need.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    So are you going to refuse your benefits?

printcraft

INGO Clown
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Feb 14, 2008
    Uranus
    Sorry, I tried to edit my post and deleted it by mistake. I'm not sure when Chinese citizens ever had the right to own guns or exactly when the disarming took place.

Do you think the Chinese would be getting ran over in the streets with tanks if they did for disagreeing with the government?

2. Germany prior to the Nazis...... how did that work out for the population once they were disarmed?

Timjoebillybob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 27, 2009
    I started ignoring everything about Trump. As soon as I allowed the very thought of voting for him, he proves why I should not vote for him. This stuff can't be the fault of the "liberal" media every time! Could he not do a little research and learn the man was born in the United States? Does it not even matter that he believes everyone of Mexican descent is considered a foreigner? I mean, does he not get it or is he so sure it doesn't matter to the majority of America?

Trump: Mexicans Swarming Across Border, Enrolling in Law School, and Becoming Biased Judges - The New Yorker

Que, Borowitz's column is satire. Trump didn't actually say that. I will admit that his satire usually hits pretty close to the mark though, and even frequently hits the bullseye dead center.

How many people saying they'll vote third party gave me and others a huge ration of **** for voting third party in the last couple of elections? Show of hands?

I never gave you crap for voting third party, hell I did it myself last general. I may vote none of the above this one unfortunately. Or perhaps write in, and there is a slim chance of Johnson, but that is very slim.

As of now (subject to change)......I will only be voting down ticket. I don't see a viable option I can vote for with a clear conscience for president. I want to like Trump and I have been trying hard to get on board, but these past two weeks of Trump shooting himself in the foot almost daily is making it very difficult. :twocents:

I liked Trump at the beginning, although I will admit he wasn't my first choice (or second for that matter). But it has went downhill fast.

OMG, I'd be pissed. I can't imagine the grief his line brothers probably gave him over that. LOL. Funny stuff. He'll NEVER live that down.

Why is that? Because they would think he was actually backing Trump, or because Trump used a tweet that featured him to bolster support in the black community? Serious question.

Since I was there at the convention as a delegate, I can tell you that the whole flintlock thing is being blown way out of proportion. Petersen gave Johnson the replica in a grandiose gesture, which Johnson accepted. Then he endorsed an opponent of Johnson's desired running mate (who later graciously stepped out of the race and endorsed Weld anyway). After they were off stage, Petersen then started haranguing Johnson about his choice of Bill Weld, while Johnson was trying to prep for an interview. It was after that Johnson got angry and threw the replica away. A bit childish behavior losing his cool like that, but with Trump talking about penis size in a national debate and Hillary being Hillary, I'm not really too concerned here.

Thank you much for the explanation. I would rep you if I could but I'm out at the moment, I'll try to remember to get you when I can. That being said, I find tossing it in the trash to be a bit more than childish. Trump and his penis was childish, Johnson and the handgun was churlish at best.

Well yeah.....sort of. They are here illegally so some impact should come from that.

Question.....what would you do about this situation.
    I have given it a fair amount of thought and it is a very complex issue.
    Again....what would you do.

Myself, impose strict penalties on any business knowingly employing illegals. Any illegals caught deported. With perhaps the exception of children brought here at a young age who knew no other life but the US. Parents would still be deported, they could take their children with them, or give guardianship to a friend/family member legally here or give them up for adoption. Deportation would follow jail/prison sentence of the maximum allowable by law. Which if enforced would result IMO a hefty rate of self deportation and a hefty decrease in illegal immigration.

Honest question why should any person of Latino origin vote for Trump, when even the American born, educated, and successful Latinos are labeled as Mexicans, and labeled as holding their opinions solely based on ethnic heritage rather than honest political beliefs (right or wrong)?

Fair question.

Because if you, your parents, or your grandparents immigrated here legally, watching the freeloaders force their way across the border and take everything you(they) fought for is INSULTING.

Who cares what criminals think.

If Trump was saying the same things about Jewish people, considering I beleave he is a German citizen through his mother. Would you feel the same if you were the child of a legally immigrated Israeli couple?

I'm with Rand Paul on this one, legal status, work permits, they get in line behind those already waiting for citizenship expand legal immigration from Latin American countries. Make it easier to come legally, lesson the draw to immigrate illegally, lesson the burden on boarder control.

I'll disagree with Rand on this.

Que

Meekness ≠ Weakness
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98%
    48   1   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Blacksburg
    Do you think the Chinese would be getting ran over in the streets with tanks if they did for disagreeing with the government?

2. Germany prior to the Nazis...... how did that work out for the population once they were disarmed?

Before the Nazis took power, Germany had strict gun control laws and was NEVER a free society. Although there were some who owned guns, it wasn't like there was an average of two guns per household. After the Nazis took control, they allowed their supporters to own guns and took guns away from those who did not support their politics or were Jews. Those who supported their politics were allowed to own guns. Jews only made up 1.7% of the European population, but I wonder what percentage of the population didn't necessarily support the Nazi doctrine, but was silent when this happened, because it didn't affect them?

So, I get your sentiment about the 2nd protecting the rest, but it's meaningless, because it's a people willing to fight for what's right that actually protects them all. Again, if it came down to it, I have absolutely no confidence those insisting that advocates for the Second Amendment vote for Trump, would have the capacity to say the guy is wrong if he suggested certain gun laws, veiled in concern for the urban plight or to "protect our borders." They would see it as being good, because it would not affect them in any way.

Que

Meekness ≠ Weakness
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98%
    48   1   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Blacksburg
    Que, Borowitz's column is satire. Trump didn't actually say that. I will admit that his satire usually hits pretty close to the mark though, and even frequently hits the bullseye dead center.

Thanks for the correction. I really can't tell what is satire anymore when it comes to Trump. I actually thought his comments about the judge was satire and was corrected on that after defending him.

printcraft

INGO Clown
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Feb 14, 2008
    Uranus
    Every gun law is unconstitutional.
    No, I wouldn't agree with any additional law proposed by Trump.

If you are using the America as the metric I can't think of a society in the world that is or was as free so we are venturing into the realm of speculation without a basis of comparison.

Simple question: Would a repeal of the 2nd make us a more free or less free society?

Que

Meekness ≠ Weakness
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98%
    48   1   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Blacksburg
    Every gun law is unconstitutional.
    No, I wouldn't agree with any additional law proposed by Trump.

If you are using the America as the metric I can't think of a society in the world that is or was as free so we are venturing into the realm of speculation without a basis of comparison.

Simple question: Would a repeal of the 2nd make us a more free or less free society?

Anytime choice is taken away, it promotes a less free society.

Tombs

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Martinsville
    If Trump was saying the same things about Jewish people, considering I beleave he is a German citizen through his mother. Would you feel the same if you were the child of a legally immigrated Israeli couple?

What part of the word "illegal" are you not able to understand?

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    The same part as La Raza.

Obviously you don't quite get the meaning of the word/phrase. In Spanish, the words often change from their literal meaning, into something else. "La Raza," literally means "The Race," but is more commonly understood as "The People," which can also be said "Mi gente." An example of this, is that in a number of Spanish speaking places a car would be said as "El coche," despite the literal meaning being that of a horse-drawn coach. El coche is slowly falling out of favor, and being replaced by the relatively new word "El carro."

But whatever, no one will appreciate the language lesson.

Dead Duck

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    Apr 1, 2011
    Obviously you don't quite get the meaning of the word/phrase. In Spanish, the words often change from their literal meaning, into something else. "La Raza," literally means "The Race," but is more commonly understood as "The People," which can also be said "Mi gente." An example of this, is that in a number of Spanish speaking places a car would be said as "El coche," despite the literal meaning being that of a horse-drawn coach. El coche is slowly falling out of favor, and being replaced by the relatively new word "El carro."

But this is America.
    In America we speak American not Mexican. The only Mexican language I want to see here is "El Pollo Loco". :):

Last edited:

Tombs

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Martinsville

If he was just referring to the words, that would be correct.

How ever, it's a group, and my understanding of the group is that their goals culminate in taking back territory lost in the Mexican-American war.

indiucky

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Honest question why should any person of Latino origin vote for Trump, when even the American born, educated, and successful Latinos are labeled as Mexicans, and labeled as holding their opinions solely based on ethnic heritage rather than honest political beliefs (right or wrong)?

Good question......I'll ask the wife tonight....

Top Bottom