Not open for further replies.

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    Granted, those numbers are better than most other national-level politicians.

I will also say that I think Pence is a God-fearing Christian. I think he genuinely is. I also think he believes that He has a plan for him to be POTUS.
    No doubt there at all. I'm actually really upset that liberals make fun of him for not going to lunch with a women without a chaperone, and the next minute harp on #MeToo.

However, he does make Waylon Smithers look like a disgruntled employee.

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    To actually believe that in our ever expanding universe that we are all alone is very closed minded.. even when proof is presented some choose to live with eyes closed and fingers in the ears.

Welcome to discussion!

I take it you have some proof of extraterrestrial life that you'd care to share? Did you inform NASA or SETI?

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    To actually believe that in our ever expanding universe that we are all alone is very closed minded.. even when proof is presented some choose to live with eyes closed and fingers in the ears.

Also, welcome, and not to appear to be gang-tackling you, I would invite you to elaborate.

To prepare an "even playing field" I'll present my preferred defense of the proposition that there are no aliens: math. (I've also posted this elsewhere here on INGO, so you might've run across it before.)

Basically, astronomers are discovering more and more variety in exoplanets. The math that supported the proposition that life on other planets is "likely" was tied to variables that were the best guess at the time. Additional discoveries have revealed that the variation in other planets is significantly greater than was believed back then. Also, new variables have been adduced regarding how life developed here on earth.

Combining the 2 patterns suggests that the chance of intelligent life developing here was a greater longshot than was assumed, while the variability in the universe is greater. So, the chance of another Earth-like system developing intelligent life is becoming more and more remote.

Which raises the related question of non-Earth-like intelligent life. Greater variability means that might be more likely, right? Well, then it becomes a question of definitions. "Aliens" suggests "intelligent life." We have absolutely NO evidence of "intelligent life" other than what is found on Earth. To speculate that there might be something like that starts looking more like an article of faith than a scientifically reasoned position.

:)

printcraft

INGO Clown
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Feb 14, 2008
    Uranus
    quote_icon.png
    Originally Posted by JettaKnight
    fnpfan, I didn't mean to scare you off! This thread is a discussion, so please come back and discuss.

The 2 views don't have to be mutually exclusive.

printcraft

INGO Clown
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Feb 14, 2008
    Uranus
    Which ones? A Christian God and aliens?

What a bout these aliens? Are we talking about green women or just about a bunch of space slugs?

Life outside of earth in whatever form that takes.
    Alien life doesn't have to mean superior intelligence or intelligence of any kind really.

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    Life outside of earth in whatever form that takes.
    Alien life doesn't have to mean superior intelligence or intelligence of any kind really.

Yes, but those are 2 different questions, right?

I will readily concede that "life" is more likely than "intelligent" life. I think "aliens" colloquially means the latter.

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    Yes, but those are 2 different questions, right?

I will readily concede that "life" is more likely than "intelligent" life. I think "aliens" colloquially means the latter.

Typically.

Only scientist give a darn about space slugs. SETI is all about looking for something out there to explain the meaning of life to them.

ArcadiaGP

Wanderer
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 15, 2009
    Indianapolis
    I think that's the more interesting conversation here...

INGO'ers that believe extraterrestrial life would negate, contradict, or outright refute their religious beliefs... and INGO'ers that don't.

ChristianPatriot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Feb 11, 2013
    Clifford, IN
    I think that's the more interesting conversation here...

INGO'ers that believe extraterrestrial life would negate, contradict, or outright refute their religious beliefs... and INGO'ers that don't.

I can’t imagine their being a whole lot of the former. I don’t think there is life (conscience) beyond earth, but even if there was, it wouldn’t change God’s plan for the people of earth. And that’s a WAY more important/relevant discussion.

printcraft

INGO Clown
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Feb 14, 2008
    Uranus
    I can’t imagine their being a whole lot of the former. I don’t think there is, but even if there was, it wouldn’t change God’s plan for the people of earth. And that’s a WAY more important/relevant discussion.

Right. If we start at the beginning God created the heavens before the earth.

[FONT=&quot]In the beginning God created the heaven and the earth. Genesis 1[/FONT]

It's not God created the earth and the heavens.

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    I think so.

Does ET have a soul?

How does ET fit into the redemption story?

And I think of man as the only "intelligent" life on earth in that context. Animals are smart, but no where near man.

So, on this, I think the answer depends on the omnipotence of God. We were told that humans have dominion over the earth, and everything on it. To me, I don't see any exclusionary language that means life on other planets is non-Biblical.

I don't think any version of the creation story says that ours is the only planet with intelligent life. We are made in his likeness, sure, but there may be other life forms that are different views or maybe not in his image at all.

We can still be Chosen, if there are other intelligent or non-intelligent life forms.

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    I can’t imagine their being a whole lot of the former. I don’t think there is life (conscience) beyond earth, but even if there was, it wouldn’t change God’s plan for the people of earth. And that’s a WAY more important/relevant discussion.

Yeah, that's part of where I net out, too.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom