Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne

ChristianPatriot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Feb 11, 2013
    Clifford, IN

I wouldn’t refuse anybody from coming into the church or into a shelter, unless there was a known history of violence or aggression. Church is full of sinners, the lgbtqrstuv community isn’t peculiar or special in that regard. Didn’t see anything in that article about preaching the gospel to them so it’s a pretty vain effort if they’re not doing that basic tenant of Christianity.

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    I wouldn’t refuse anybody from coming into the church or into a shelter, unless there was a known history of violence or aggression. Church is full of sinners, the lgbtqrstuv community isn’t peculiar or special in that regard. Didn’t see anything in that article about preaching the gospel to them so it’s a pretty vain effort if they’re not doing that basic tenant of Christianity.

Really it all depends on if they view they the LGBTQ lifestyle as sinful or not.

Helping and loving these troubled youth is something we must do; "celebrating" their "lifestyle" is something we must not.

rvb

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 14, 2009
    IN (a refugee from MD)
    Went to the ARK Encounter in KY last Friday. I was pretty impressed. Lots to see, and it struck a nice balance where I found it interesting, but so did my kids. A couple of times my 7 yr old got a little bored, but the 9 yr old was asking good questions, and reading a lot of the material (which is unusual for him, so it must have been engaging).

Obviously a lot of assumptions on the design details and engineering, but they acknowledge that. Some of those assumptions/details seemed a little over the top.

Got a new Bible at the gift shop, and my wife got a big history time-line.

It's overly pricey, but to see the scale of the vessel both inside and out is worth something in itself...

We ate at their buffet. I wouldn't do that again. Pretty pricey and, well, just buffet food.

-rvb

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    Went to the ARK Encounter in KY last Friday. I was pretty impressed. Lots to see, and it struck a nice balance where I found it interesting, but so did my kids. A couple of times my 7 yr old got a little bored, but the 9 yr old was asking good questions, and reading a lot of the material (which is unusual for him, so it must have been engaging).

Obviously a lot of assumptions on the design details and engineering, but they acknowledge that. Some of those assumptions/details seemed a little over the top.

Got a new Bible at the gift shop, and my wife got a big history time-line.

It's overly pricey, but to see the scale of the vessel both inside and out is worth something in itself...

We ate at their buffet. I wouldn't do that again. Pretty pricey and, well, just buffet food.

-rvb

Thanks! We've been thinking about going to see that.

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    The Pence speech is nothing more than a campaign speech. I really like Pence, but... I'd like for him to be himself if at all possible.

Based on my own personal assessment of interacting with him over the years a few times, if it sounds like a campaign speech, then he is being himself.

Seriously, at this point, that IS his identity.

IMHO

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    So back to the SBC...

• They voted for the young guy over the old guy to be president (both very qualified).
    • They were forced to confirm the firing of Paige Patterson (architect of the SBC's conservative resurgence in the 80's) over mishandling sexual misconduct at Southwestern Theological Seminary.
    • They forced the nomination committee to retain a trustee that's been supportive of Russel Moore (who tends to get under the skin of old guard right wingers).
    • They overwhelmingly opposed a resolution condemning SJW's.
    • Pence spoke, but there was a lot of opposition before, and a lot of regrets after hearing the campaign speech.
    • The 1st and 2nd VP are Hispanic and black.

This, couple with the alt-right condemnation & anti-confederacy resolutions of last year (or 2?), leads me to believe the SBC is moving into a new era where they've unhitched themselves from Republicans and politics and general and where diversity is something actively sought out.

What they didn't do is openly discuss that third rail of women in leadership... I won't either.

I have no doubt they will hold firm to the inerrant Word of God, but they've come to realize that we've entered a post-Christian phase in our country and Christians need to adapt.

PS - the Chaplin of the Cowboys did a great job speaking.

Last edited:

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    Based on my own personal assessment of interacting with him over the years a few times, if it sounds like a campaign speech, then he is being himself.

Seriously, at this point, that IS his identity.

IMHO

This analysis of his speech confirms that.

In his SBC convention speech yesterday, @VP used: President 61 times, Trump 12 times, Donald 6 times, God 9 times, Christ 2 times, Jesus 1 time
    https://twitter.com/ryanburge/statu...witness-the-return-of-the-so-called-moderates

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    Granted, those numbers are better than most other national-level politicians.

I will also say that I think Pence is a God-fearing Christian. I think he genuinely is. I also think he believes that He has a plan for him to be POTUS.

fnpfan

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 96.9%
    31   1   0
    Jul 4, 2010
    Larwill
    I had a LONG car ride home with a solid atheist. He got hung up on aliens and just could not get past the fact that I don't believe they exist.

"Well, what if aliens came and told you they have a new Bible?"
    "I don't believe in aliens."
    "What?!"
    [one hour later]
    "What if God took humans to another planet long ago and ..."
    "Shut up about the aliens already!"
    To actually believe that in our ever expanding universe that we are all alone is very closed minded.. even when proof is presented some choose to live with eyes closed and fingers in the ears.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom