Not open for further replies.

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    The best argument I've heard to rectify old Testament and new Testament God is that his goodness is timeless and beyond our understanding. If that's the case I'm not sure what we think are good in this moment and what he considers eternally good would necessarily line up. If that's the case either we won't find everything we think is good in heaven or our perception of good will change to match his and if the latter is the case then are we really the same person once we reach heaven?

Is the goodness of Heaven comprehensible to us?

I like this.

It echos back to discussion of pets in Heaven, and the fear of eternity. When I was young, the thought of eternity terrified me - "You mean it's the same, day in, day out? I can't even imagine living 100 years, let alone 10,000!"

Fortunately, all will be revealed. Our sinful desires and limitations will be removed.

I look at my cats - they're fascinated by a simple red dot on the carpet. Perhaps God looks at us like that. "Oh, my children, just wait until you arrive..." And I can only imagine that those that don't submit will have their eyes opened to what it's like to be completely separated from God.

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    The best argument I've heard to rectify old Testament and new Testament God is that his goodness is timeless and beyond our understanding. If that's the case I'm not sure what we think are good in this moment and what he considers eternally good would necessarily line up. If that's the case either we won't find everything we think is good in heaven or our perception of good will change to match his and if the latter is the case then are we really the same person once we reach heaven?

Is the goodness of Heaven comprehensible to us?

We see the good parts of this world, a beautiful sunset, a baby's smile, a puppy playing in the back yard as good, a new Wilson Combat 1911, as beautiful, as good as it gets. Now, try to imagine infinite goodness. Imagine infinite joy, no more pain, no more tears. We. Can't.

Now imagine what complete, utter, separation from what of God's goodness we enjoy now...As much as we can't fathom infinite goodness and joy, we cannot imagine hell.

indiucky

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    The Avett Brothers Grandfather was a pretty well known minister...Seth Avett put his collection of sermons on the web for folks to read....

https://www.cleggavett.com/

It's unusual for popular musicians to write about their Faith...Seth Avett said this song took seven years to write...In the documentary when they finish the live recording he and his brother have a talk about how weird it is to bare your soul in a song, the toll it takes, and the guilt and sickness they feel when after baring their soul Rick Rubin just slaps him on the shoulder and says, "That's a hit...Perfect...This will sell..."

You see that Seth is on the verge of losing it and he and his brother go outside and talk about all of the loss and pain he experienced to write that song and now it's just a product...Pretty powerful....

The song asks the question what comes at the end....I know it seems strange but it poses the question we have been asking here...Give it a listen....He knows he'll go with "No Hard Feelings."

"No Hard Feelings"

When my body won't hold me anymore
    And it finally lets me free
    Will I be ready?
    When my feet won't walk another mile
    And my lips give their last kiss goodbye
    Will my hands be steady?

When I lay down my fears
    My hopes and my doubts
    The rings on my fingers
    And the keys to my house
    With no hard feelings

When the sun hangs low in the west
    And the light in my chest
    Won't be kept held at bay any longer
    When the jealousy fades away
    And it's ash and dust for cash and lust
    And it's just hallelujah
    And love in thoughts and love in the words
    Love in the songs they sing in the church
    And no hard feelings

Lord knows they haven't done
    Much good for anyone
    Kept me afraid and cold
    With so much to have and hold

When my body won't hold me anymore
    And it finally lets me free
    Where will I go?
    Will the trade winds take me south
    Through Georgia grain or tropical rain
    Or snow from the heavens?

Will I join with the ocean blue
    Or run into the savior true
    And shake hands laughing
    And walk through the night
    Straight to the light
    Holding the love I've known in my life
    And no hard feelings

Lord knows they haven't done
    Much good for anyone
    Kept me afraid and cold
    With so much to have and hold
    Under the curving sky
    I'm finally learning why
    It matters for me and you
    To say it and mean it to
    For life and its loveliness
    And all of its ugliness
    Good as its been to me
    I have no enemies
    I have no enemies
    I have no enemies
    I have no enemies

[video=youtube;tFGs7HP15d4]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tFGs7HP15d4[/video]

And here is one talking about the struggle even folks of faith have with the Great Deceiver....A killer version....Most people listening to that song have no idea it goes back to the Garden.....

[video=youtube;RhEn2nnRcNo]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RhEn2nnRcNo[/video]

Their dad is a well known Gospel singer....

[video=youtube;hABbD359QPs]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hABbD359QPs&list=PL8uFHKoD3vihWnGQ3OQrySR-NuaTiHRNf[/video]

[video=youtube;epWIO8JzXQo]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=epWIO8JzXQo[/video]

[video=youtube;9iKYVynN6Bk]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9iKYVynN6Bk[/video]

[video=youtube;kAN2GC4fOzc]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kAN2GC4fOzc[/video]

That's their dad and sister on Peace in the valley...

Last edited:

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    I think a lot of INGO folks would find this church's sermons to be especially libertarian. These guys also have other content on them nets.

[video=youtube;7ceqYBGrLIs]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7ceqYBGrLIs[/video]

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    Met Gala 2018: Celebrities share divine looks on red carpet - BBC News

This year, the theme was Heavenly Bodies: Fashion and the Catholic Imagination, which showcases how Catholicism has influenced fashion throughout history.

I'm usually not one to object to the secularization of religious symbols or iconography. I mean, secularists gonna secular, after all.

And, I have nothing against Rihanna (because I'm married, otherwise she'd totally be into me). But this kinda offends me.

_101212979_hi046631493.jpg

ArcadiaGP

Wanderer
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 15, 2009
    Indianapolis
    I don't think I've ever mentioned CCGR here... so... here:

CCGR (Christ Centered Gamer) is a video game review site from a Christian perspective.

https://christcenteredgamer.com/

It's run primarily by Cheryl Gress, and I believe her husband Jason as well (I've seen him in some of the YouTube video unboxings). There are also other contributing reviewers.

They give generally well-written reviews that show the strong and weak points of a game... as well as "moral" warnings. For example, here's today's review on Overwatch

https://christcenteredgamer.com/index.php/reviews/pc-mac/6797-overwatch-pc

Moral Warnings: Mild Language; Minimal Blood; One Lesbian Character; Potentially Rude Teammates

And in the review, you can see where the reviewer points out the one character that is a lesbian, but praises Blizzard for not "rubbing it in their face".

CCGR is often praised for giving very fair reviews, even calling them better than some of the larger outlets due to how objective they tend to be. Often see them linked on 4chan, of all the godless places... Hah.

So, yeah... you don't have to be religious to appreciate an outlet for doing things a bit different. They have a bunch of reviews out there, and often review very obscure titles... and they don't shy away from the lewd stuff. They give even the games that would be considered "immoral" a fair shake... often praising them for being good games, but taking a moment to highlight the moral issues they take with them.

For example, they reviewed HuniePop (dating sim, puzzle game) and Doom (2016)... both great, but immoral, games.

So, yeah. You can find them as a curator on Steam, on Twitter, Youtube, etc.

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    So, read the review (which I would also agree is a great review and one that I mostly agree with).

Totally guessed wrong. Figured it was the butch Russian chick.

And, absolutely had no idea from in-game and having watched a few of the short movies.

Anyhoo, I'm wondering why the reviewers didn't mention Mercy's certain ability. That... uh... seems like an important reference with respect to Christians....

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    Met Gala 2018: Celebrities share divine looks on red carpet - BBC News

I'm usually not one to object to the secularization of religious symbols or iconography. I mean, secularists gonna secular, after all.

And, I have nothing against Rihanna (because I'm married, otherwise she'd totally be into me). But this kinda offends me.

_101212979_hi046631493.jpg

I guess my shock/offense tolerance has been worn so that stuff like this doesn't impress me one way or the other. To me, the mockery makes them look sad and pitiful.

ArcadiaGP

Wanderer
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 15, 2009
    Indianapolis
    So, read the review (which I would also agree is a great review and one that I mostly agree with).

Totally guessed wrong. Figured it was the butch Russian chick.

And, absolutely had no idea from in-game and having watched a few of the short movies.

Anyhoo, I'm wondering why the reviewers didn't mention Mercy's certain ability. That... uh... seems like an important reference with respect to Christians....

Oh I'm sure Zarya has a touch of beaver fever too... but I don't think she's had any story development outside of the game yet. Or not enough that they'd care to highlight that detail.

Good point about the resurrection ability... I wonder if other reviewers there have touched on it with regards to other games...

HEROES NEVER DIE.

VFYnS3L.jpg

Edit: Though I prefer the pre-nerf memes... back when she could res everyone at once.

231.png

ArcadiaGP

Wanderer
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 15, 2009
    Indianapolis

Just got this response from Cheryl

I haven't played the game so I can't really comment on Mercy's ability. So many games have a revive/respawn option that it's pretty much common place and permadeath games tend to get mentioned since they are rare. I personally don't take offense to the ability to revive players.

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    Oh cool. :)

That's awesome response time.

Sounds like she... uh ... still doesn't quite understand how res works in Overwatch, though. I wonder if they'll update. Mercy's ability - to me, at least - is different than the revive/respawn in other games (although my sample size is admittedly low - particularly in the class-based games). My closest comparator is in Halo 4(? maybe 5?) where the characters can revive a downed team member.

I mean, in Overwatch, when my character goes into the team-cam, that means I'm dead. Not incapacitated. Dead.

rvb

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 14, 2009
    IN (a refugee from MD)
    My son (9) has a Minecraft Bible book. I think he picked it up at a garage sale a couple years back. Not sure if it's the exact one pictured. I flipped through it, and it seemed on par w/ any other children's collection of Bible stories.

Like JK, I guess I'm a little more orthodox / old school. I believe legos are the only ordained building block game and minecraft is the devil perverting the creative use of blocks through the outward appearance of using our building imagination, while really being ruined by mindless TV time...

After all, only the Bible and Legos have both taught us that "Everything is AWESOME!"
    Get the worship leader on stage.... Come on, sing along with me now!

[singing in unison]"everything is awesome...."[/singing in unison]
    church099.1.jpg

-rvb

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom