Are there any repercussions for welching in the classifieds here?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Gingerbeardman

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Mar 17, 2017
    Anderson
    I've backed out of a deal after initiating contact with the seller but before we even discussed meeting. If you commit to buy you should buy. The seller could have missed several sales while waiting for payment that never came. I think the review should be neutral since you didn't leave the house but it was an inconvenience. I've had people hold stuff for me and others sell it out from under me. I've also been the guy that benefited from an item being sold out from under someone else, so I have mixed feelings.

The WORST experience was losing an hour and a half of family time waiting for a guy in the Cabela's parking lot. We were both at Cabela's... He was in Hammond and I was in Noblesville. Still not sure how that happened.

Nugget

Milsurp Enjoyer
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jul 30, 2022
    Morgan County
    I hem and haw A LOT before I buy anything, anywhere, from anyone. I've missed gun deals because I'm researching model #s, variations, replacement parts, sale prices, manufacturers, mags, ammo availability, etc. If there's no repercussion for backing out, I guess i'll just start spamming "I'll take it!" for every listing im mildly interested in, and then back out later if my research gives me reason to do so.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    I try to tell people to come take a look instead of come buy it....

I'm sure that works great, if you are in the city, trading with your nieghbors.

For a lot us, leaving the house for a trade is a fair investment in time and money, regardless of selling or buying. Often both parties travel to meet in the middle.

Looky lue to decide at the meet location, is not a consideration for a lot of us, the rare exception being collectors items to be graded and the like.

Again, this is why pictures are required. Also why more pictures can be supplied when requested, as many of us have done.

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    One person was selling something. I told him I would take it at asking. He agreed and moved forward from there via text and setup a day and time to meet to do the FTF transaction and I was coming out to him. At almost midnight the night before the meet I get a text saying they changed their mind and no longer want to sell.
    I'm pretty sure that really means, "I got a better offer."

Nugget

Milsurp Enjoyer
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jul 30, 2022
    Morgan County
    Wonder how that will work with the negative feedback you will receive?
    Hence the reason for the first part of the sentence you quoted???

"If there's no repercussion for backing out..."

The point I was trying to make is that I would fully expect some neutral or negative feedback if I started doing that. I'd rather be late and miss a deal than early and have to back out.

1nderbeard

Master
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Apr 3, 2017
    Hendricks County
    I have no problem with someone backing out before we set up the meeting. I've done it once before. The seller was gracious about it. I've also agreed to buy something but couldn't make my schedule work before the seller found another buyer.

I do my best not to be misleading about ads. I don't say "I'll take it" unless I'm gonna buy it. Sometimes I will message about interest.

Unless I'm out time/gas money it doesn't bother me if someone decides not to buy an item.

Legally, if you commit to purchase something it's a contract. But no one is going to try and sue for breach of contract on a gun forum site participated in by (mostly) friends.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    Hence the reason for the first part of the sentence you quoted???

"If there's no repercussion for backing out..."

The point I was trying to make is that I would fully expect some neutral or negative feedback if I started doing that. I'd rather be late and miss a deal than early and have to back out.

Yes sir!

It also points out that we all should use the feedback system. It's an injustice to the rest of us if folks don't use the negative feedback when they should.

I would still deal with someone, if they have negative feedback. Cautiously though. More than one? Maybe not?

Nugget

Milsurp Enjoyer
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jul 30, 2022
    Morgan County
    I got one negative feedback in retaliation for me leaving feedback on an ex-member. It's been plaguing me for probably 12 years, and there's no way to remove it. I didn't deserve it but was told it couldn't be removed.

Wish there was a way to appeal it.
    Feedback should have a shelf life, good and bad. Maybe if good fell off or aged out after 5 years and bad after 3, or something? Just because you were a good guy, doesn't mean you still are, and just because you pissed off one guy a few years ago doesn't mean you're not trustworthy.

OneBadV8

Stay Picky my Friends
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Aug 7, 2008
    Ft Wayne
    Feedback should have a shelf life, good and bad. Maybe if good fell off or aged out after 5 years and bad after 3, or something? Just because you were a good guy, doesn't mean you still are, and just because you pissed off one guy a few years ago doesn't mean you're not trustworthy.
    There is only so much allowed within the parameters of the system though. Nothing it going to fit the needs 100%. The feedback system isn't something that is custom built, it's just a plugin for the site software.

bla bla bla technical details bla bla bla

Gonna just have to be good enough. But Shelf life would be good too, I know ebay has metrics for past 6 months, past 12 months, etc.

Top Bottom