Are there any repercussions for welching in the classifieds here?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Bugzilla

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 14, 2021
    DeMotte
    Only bought one item and met up for an item which I did not buy. The bought item was more “complicated“ as I would be in the area of the seller on my way home from a trip. Had good communication with the seller. The non bought item was a near by seller who I met up and decided the item was not a good fit. Went into that transaction noting I wanted to look before purchasing. Usually by the quality of the messaging from the individual selling seems to give me a good indication of how the potential transaction will go.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Ok, I left her neutral feedback on an awesome deal*. I wasnt sure if you werent seeing anything because she just didnt have any feedback, or if extreme privacy settings also limited viewing feedback scores. (one downside of being a mod is hiding profiles doesnt work against me)

So one thing to consider @MommaBean18. If you decide to choose to deal in the classifieds, I would STRONGLY recommend NOT hiding your profile. Set your privacy setting to "members only**", and only putting in vague details. Or no details at all. I'm actually quite surprised that choosing "nobody" in the privacy setting hides your feedback. Seems counterproductive.

I just checked out what you entered in on your details page. There are only two fields you entered that are considered sensitive, but only mods can see that (DOB and email). Everything else that a standard user would see is blank. Which is cool. So you can set that setting without revealing anything more than what BW posted. And the feedback scores of course.

**And no, for everyone playing the home game, if you were over the age of 8 in the early 80s, you don't get a cool jacket if you choose that option :):

* https://www.indianagunowners.com/threads/test-ad-disregard.534616/
    Touche' @MommaBean18, Well played. :lmfao:

(Now that we have sorted out the privacy issues, I'll be deleting the test feedbacks, fyi)

1681171950923.png

WebSnyper

Time to make the chimichangas
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    Except Printcraft sat on it. Do you still want it?

5a9f2062d0042d67674abdea5e831df4.jpg

MommaBean18

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 23, 2023
    Sunny Side of Louisville
    As long as you explain your plan, you should be fine with that. If you tell a seller "I'll take it" only to meet them and just want to look, then there's a problem that could well draw negative feedback, should you not "take it" as expressed.

If I may be blunt with how our communication might go, if you were wanting an item I might be selling?
    - As long as you were clearly not saying "I'll take it," instead explaining that you wanted to make your purchase decision at our meeting point. I'd first tell you that I need to let the add run a bit longer to see if I got an "I'll take it," from someone.
    - An alternative, and or maybe to go along with the above. If you just want to look, I might well say, "I'm happy to meet you in Bloomington tomorrow," (close to my location.)

When I converse with you, before any reply, the first thing I will look at is your location, how long you've been on INGO, your post count, your post history, and lastly your feedback.
    When I look for your feedback, this is what I run into... View attachment 268513 I don't know what that means, but I do know that I cannot see your feedback. :dunno:'
    We'll need to discuss this, if it gets that far, but it might not? If I have this conversation going with you and 2-3 others saying "I'll take it," where do you think I'm gonna go?
    (pro tip - there are no first come first served rules. No calling dibs. A seller can sell to whoever they want, without regard to who spoke when.)

You never know though, if my add has run 2-3 weeks without selling, I might be more motivated. I could be happy as a lark to get your offer to look see, jump on the bike and ride my sale item down for your inspection right there in your neighborhood?

Take it easy @bwframe. I’m just simply stating my opinion, as well as the others who have responded to this thread. I am not attempting to buy anything from you so Idk why you’re picking a bone with me and putting me on blast like that? But it seems someone has burned you in the past :dunno:

Thank you for your examples, but I am me and I wouldn’t try to meet with a seller “just to take a look”. I understand that others may do that but I am more considerate of others than that.

As for being a future potential buyer on INGO, knowing that I have set up a deal with you previous to others, only for you to tell me you sold it to the next person, is definitely something I would consider if I was interested in a product you were selling. I understand feeling out that buyer but maybe do that before making a deal.

Just my opinion. No hard feelings.

planedriver

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Dec 20, 2009
    gone
    If I get interested in something in the classifieds, I’ll do a couple messages via pm or txt. There is no way I will meet to make a deal without a phone conversation in real time. Sometimes text doesn’t convey what the author is really trying to say. Then there’s the 6th sense that only comes from conversation.

MommaBean18

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 23, 2023
    Sunny Side of Louisville
    Ok, I left her neutral feedback on an awesome deal*. I wasnt sure if you werent seeing anything because she just didnt have any feedback, or if extreme privacy settings also limited viewing feedback scores. (one downside of being a mod is hiding profiles doesnt work against me)

So one thing to consider @MommaBean18. If you decide to choose to deal in the classifieds, I would STRONGLY recommend NOT hiding your profile. Set your privacy setting to "members only**", and only putting in vague details. Or no details at all. I'm actually quite surprised that choosing "nobody" in the privacy setting hides your feedback. Seems counterproductive.

I just checked out what you entered in on your details page. There are only two fields you entered that are considered sensitive, but only mods can see that (DOB and email). Everything else that a standard user would see is blank. Which is cool. So you can set that setting without revealing anything more than what BW posted. And the feedback scores of course.

**And no, for everyone playing the home game, if you were over the age of 8 in the early 80s, you don't get a cool jacket if you choose that option :):

* https://www.indianagunowners.com/threads/test-ad-disregard.534616/
    So the reasons you don’t see anything in my profile is because,

1. I have no feedback.

2. Being a new member to INGO, or to any forum, I didn’t want my information out there as it’s so easy for ppl to do bad things with it and I didn’t want to just open the door for them. I have nothing to hide.

3. I wasn’t sure what settings showed what so being fully private is better than nothing.

I don’t really know what else ppl would need to see other than feedback and I have no problem with that. I am confident if and when the time comes it should be positive as I’m not out to inconvenience others.

With that being said, @Cameramonkey is that all I need to do is turn my privacy on to members only for my feedback to show?

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    With that being said, @Cameramonkey is that all I need to do is turn my privacy on to members only for my feedback to show?
    Yes. Looking at your profile, you prudently didnt fill in any details. So therefore those blank fields will be shown to others. The two sensitive items you should be concerned about are not visible to anyone but mods. (but its not unreasonable for you to assume those would be exposed)

The only difference is that by opening it up to members your feedback will be easier to find. Thanks to you, I think we all have a better understanding of how privacy works and how to get around that to get to the feedback scores in a roundabout way (since they actually are not blocked after all, but just require a deeper understanding to get to them)

WebSnyper

Time to make the chimichangas
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    Take it easy @bwframe. I’m just simply stating my opinion, as well as the others who have responded to this thread. I am not attempting to buy anything from you so Idk why you’re picking a bone with me and putting me on blast like that? But it seems someone has burned you in the past :dunno:

Thank you for your examples, but I am me and I wouldn’t try to meet with a seller “just to take a look”. I understand that others may do that but I am more considerate of others than that.

As for being a future potential buyer on INGO, knowing that I have set up a deal with you previous to others, only for you to tell me you sold it to the next person, is definitely something I would consider if I was interested in a product you were selling. I understand feeling out that buyer but maybe do that before making a deal.

Just my opinion. No hard feelings.
    To be honest, I don't see anything where he put you on blast really. I'm guessing many on INGO do exactly what he said when evaluating a potential buyer.

Not trying to butt in here, but it would be really apparent if @bwframe was trying to light you up.

And I don't think he ever said once he set the deal, he'd turn around and sell it to someone else. On INGO, just because a potential buyer says I'll take it, doesn't mean a deal is set until the seller accepts it.

Last edited:

MommaBean18

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 23, 2023
    Sunny Side of Louisville
    To be honest, I don't see anything where he put you on blast really. I'm guessing many on INGO do exactly what he said when evaluating a potential buyer.

Not trying to butt in here, but it would be really apparent if @bwframe was trying to light you up.
    Really?? I’m not trying to buy anything from him. And he didn’t have to post my profile like that. Just saying. I didn’t ask him to do that. I’ve only been on here for a few weeks and that just seemed a little personal to me. Like someone stated previously, it’s hard to understand someone through text. Maybe I would have taken that differently if we were having an actual conversation. But, I’m still learning everyone and everyone is still learning me. And There’s a lot more of you all.

MommaBean18

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 23, 2023
    Sunny Side of Louisville
    Really?? I’m not trying to buy anything from him. And he didn’t have to post my profile like that. Just saying. I didn’t ask him to do that. I’ve only been on here for a few weeks and that just seemed a little personal to me. Like someone stated previously, it’s hard to understand someone through text. Maybe I would have taken that differently if we were having an actual conversation. But, I’m still learning everyone and everyone is still learning me. And There’s a lot more of you all.
    Also, I don’t think I deserve to be lit up…just politely stating my opinion. As everyone is entitled to…right??

gassprint1

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Dec 15, 2015
    NWI
    So the reasons you don’t see anything in my profile is because,

1. I have no feedback.

2. Being a new member to INGO, or to any forum, I didn’t want my information out there as it’s so easy for ppl to do bad things with it and I didn’t want to just open the door for them. I have nothing to hide.

3. I wasn’t sure what settings showed what so being fully private is better than nothing.

I don’t really know what else ppl would need to see other than feedback and I have no problem with that. I am confident if and when the time comes it should be positive as I’m not out to inconvenience others.

Hahaha, that's why i thought you were shemale, cause your screen name and couldn't see anything in your profile

MommaBean18

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 23, 2023
    Sunny Side of Louisville
    I just keep replying because someone responds to what I posted. Not trying to be argumentative.

I now have 155 (now 156) messages, reaction score: 122, and 43 trophies in just a couple weeks. All without pursuing any sales. I understand where the long-timers are coming from but it’s not me they want.

Top Bottom