Are there any repercussions for welching in the classifieds here?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • MommaBean18

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 23, 2023
    Sunny Side of Louisville
    How many trades have you backed out on because the pictures made the item look better than what they are?

Did the pictures somehow make the product description differerent than the actual product?

If the seller is misrepresenting then there is a problem. A problem that needs to be reflected in feedback as a warning to the rest of us.

I guess that's a possibility, but not one I have ever run into using the INGO classifieds. Then again, on INGO, the feedback system and checking post history gives the oportuninty to vet who you might be trading with.

A lot of the reason many many of us trade only on INGO is that we are not dealing with nameless faceless possible scam artists.
    I agree and if that was the case I would 100% believe that seller deserves negative feedback. But I wasn’t implying that the seller was intentionally trying to make the item look better. Just in general, sometimes the product isn’t always what it seems. I have not backed out on trades or sales as I have not initiated any yet. But there has been times that I’ve seen something online and went to look at it but I wasn’t as impressed.

OurDee

nobody
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Sep 16, 2017
    Camby
    I'm thinking hard as I can that if there is a gun I have sold or traded on here over a year ago and the purchaser is unhappy with it today, Bring it back in the condition you got it this evening for a full refund. LOL

COOPADUP

Accipiter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Aug 8, 2017
    Hamilton County
    I recently was at a LGS that had something shiny I wanted to check out. I respectfully asked if I may field strip the item so as to reveal wear and was allowed to do so.
    Same applies when buying in the classifieds. At a minimum, a function test. If the item checks out, buy it. If not, humbly thank the person for their time and move on.

bobzilla

Mod in training (in my own mind)
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 1, 2010
    Brownswhitanon.
    I was doing a memory check. Since 2010 when I joined I've used the classies a total of 7 times. Sold twice, traded once, bought 4 times. bought the ATI, Golani sporter, two smiths and mossberg 500 wood furniture, sold the golani sporter and springer 1911A1 traded my 1991A1 compact for the springer 1911A1.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    I agree and if that was the case I would 100% believe that seller deserves negative feedback. But I wasn’t implying that the seller was intentionally trying to make the item look better. Just in general, sometimes the product isn’t always what it seems. I have not backed out on trades or sales as I have not initiated any yet. But there has been times that I’ve seen something online and went to look at it but I wasn’t as impressed.

I wouldn't dare try to bend you around on your reasoning, but might suggest that researching the product through various resources prior to the "I'll take it," could be useful? Knowing the ins/outs typical issues, wear points, etc of the product in used condition might be helpful to understand, prior to your field inspection at the face to face meet?

This forum and many others, along with various social media platforms, let alone YouTube, are chocked full of nearly every little detail of any product that might be considered for purchase. The other side of that is that if information is not readily available online or barely there, then maybe the said product should be considered only bought from a retail outlet with a return policy?

And again, if an item is misrepresented by the seller, that IS a problem. One that should be addressed through the feedback system.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    How many trades have you backed out on because the pictures made the item look better than what they are?

Did the pictures somehow make the product description differerent than the actual product?

If the seller is misrepresenting then there is a problem. A problem that needs to be reflected in feedback as a warning to the rest of us.

I guess that's a possibility, but not one I have ever run into using the INGO classifieds. Then again, on INGO, the feedback system and checking post history gives the oportuninty to vet who you might be trading with.

A lot of the reason many many of us trade only on INGO is that we are not dealing with nameless faceless possible scam artists.
    Then there was that joker that changed the terms in the parking lot. Man, what a jerk! :stickpoke: :laugh:

MommaBean18

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 23, 2023
    Sunny Side of Louisville
    I wouldn't dare try to bend you around on your reasoning, but might suggest that researching the product through various resources prior to the "I'll take it," could be useful? Knowing the ins/outs typical issues, wear points, etc of the product in used condition might be helpful to understand, prior to your field inspection at the face to face meet?

This forum and many others, along with various social media platforms, let alone YouTube, are chocked full of nearly every little detail of any product that might be considered for purchase. The other side of that is that if information is not readily available online or barely there, then maybe the said product should be considered only bought from a retail outlet with a return policy?

And again, if an item is misrepresented by the seller, that IS a problem. One that should be addressed through the feedback system.

I always do research before buying anything in this aspect, especially if it’s used. Unfortunately, not everyone is like that and then they have pre-buyer’s remorse and back out. And that isn’t ok. Also, if I was interested but wasn’t 100% sold on something I would simply explain that and ask the seller if we could meet so I could take a better look (if they lived close enough). If someone lived further away, I would definitely be considerate of that and I wouldn’t waste their time or mine if I wasn’t 100% sure. I just think that giving someone a negative because they changed their mind (not a no-show) is unfair. There’s too many variables. But maybe if the person giving the feedback was forced to put a reason why they decided to give a negative and if the person receiving the feedback could give a civilized response (kinda like TripAdvisor), then whoever is reviewing it could decide for themselves if they want to go forward with their sale.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    I always do research before buying anything in this aspect, especially if it’s used. Unfortunately, not everyone is like that and then they have pre-buyer’s remorse and back out. And that isn’t ok. Also, if I was interested but wasn’t 100% sold on something I would simply explain that and ask the seller if we could meet so I could take a better look (if they lived close enough). If someone lived further away, I would definitely be considerate of that and I wouldn’t waste their time or mine if I wasn’t 100% sure. I just think that giving someone a negative because they changed their mind (not a no-show) is unfair. There’s too many variables. But maybe if the person giving the feedback was forced to put a reason why they decided to give a negative and if the person receiving the feedback could give a civilized response (kinda like TripAdvisor), then whoever is reviewing it could decide for themselves if they want to go forward with their sale.

As long as you explain your plan, you should be fine with that. If you tell a seller "I'll take it" only to meet them and just want to look, then there's a problem that could well draw negative feedback, should you not "take it" as expressed.

If I may be blunt with how our communication might go, if you were wanting an item I might be selling?
    - As long as you were clearly not saying "I'll take it," instead explaining that you wanted to make your purchase decision at our meeting point. I'd first tell you that I need to let the add run a bit longer to see if I got an "I'll take it," from someone.
    - An alternative, and or maybe to go along with the above. If you just want to look, I might well say, "I'm happy to meet you in Bloomington tomorrow," (close to my location.)

When I converse with you, before any reply, the first thing I will look at is your location, how long you've been on INGO, your post count, your post history, and lastly your feedback.
    When I look for your feedback, this is what I run into... 1680921518454.png I don't know what that means, but I do know that I cannot see your feedback. :dunno:'
    We'll need to discuss this, if it gets that far, but it might not? If I have this conversation going with you and 2-3 others saying "I'll take it," where do you think I'm gonna go?
    (pro tip - there are no first come first served rules. No calling dibs. A seller can sell to whoever they want, without regard to who spoke when.)

You never know though, if my add has run 2-3 weeks without selling, I might be more motivated. I could be happy as a lark to get your offer to look see, jump on the bike and ride my sale item down for your inspection right there in your neighborhood?

1775usmarine

Sleeper
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    81   0   0
    Feb 15, 2013
    IN
    At least now when a thread of -1 to whoever appears it gives the other party a chance to tell their side snd allow us to come to a conclusion on whether to deal or avoid. Usually those threads make light the other is a payer into the classifieds and has no desire to participate outside that area.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Ok, I left her neutral feedback on an awesome deal*. I wasnt sure if you werent seeing anything because she just didnt have any feedback, or if extreme privacy settings also limited viewing feedback scores. (one downside of being a mod is hiding profiles doesnt work against me)

So one thing to consider @MommaBean18. If you decide to choose to deal in the classifieds, I would STRONGLY recommend NOT hiding your profile. Set your privacy setting to "members only**", and only putting in vague details. Or no details at all. I'm actually quite surprised that choosing "nobody" in the privacy setting hides your feedback. Seems counterproductive.

I just checked out what you entered in on your details page. There are only two fields you entered that are considered sensitive, but only mods can see that (DOB and email). Everything else that a standard user would see is blank. Which is cool. So you can set that setting without revealing anything more than what BW posted. And the feedback scores of course.

**And no, for everyone playing the home game, if you were over the age of 8 in the early 80s, you don't get a cool jacket if you choose that option :):

* https://www.indianagunowners.com/threads/test-ad-disregard.534616/

Last edited:

Mij

Permaplinker (thanks to Expat)
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 22, 2022
    In the corn and beans
    Ok, I left her neutral feedback on an awesome deal*. I wasnt sure if you werent seeing anything because she just didnt have any feedback, or if extreme privacy settings also limited viewing feedback scores. (one downside of being a mod is hiding profiles doesnt work against me)

So one thing to consider @MommaBean18. If you decide to choose to deal in the classifieds, I would STRONGLY recommend NOT hiding your profile. Set your privacy setting to "members only**", and only putting in vague details. Or no details at all. I'm actually quite surprised that choosing "nobody" in the privacy setting hides your feedback. Seems counterproductive.

I just checked out what you entered in on your details page. There are only two fields you entered that are considered sensitive, but only mods can see that (DOB and email). Everything else that a standard user would see is blank. Which is cool. So you can set that setting without revealing anything more than what BW posted. And the feedback scores of course.

**And no, for everyone playing the home game, if you were over the age of 8 in the early 80s, you don't get a cool jacket if you choose that option :):

* https://www.indianagunowners.com/threads/test-ad-disregard.534616/
    As polite as I can make it. I’ve never relied on anyones profile to make a decision on wether to deal with them or not. I don’t think I have made any changes in my “profile “ to change a single thing. If they don’t want to deal with me, or I them, then thats the way it will be. Having said that, I do feel I have a strong common sense factor built into myself.

I have only had one interaction with the classies ever, and that was recently. A fine and enjoyable experience.

I don’t even know if I could find someone’s “profile” . Gotta wonder what mine is. Probably a ****. :wallbash:

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 9, 2022
    Bloomington
    As polite as I can make it. I’ve never relied on anyones profile to make a decision on wether to deal with them or not. I don’t think I have made any changes in my “profile “ to change a single thing. If they don’t want to deal with me, or I them, then thats the way it will be. Having said that, I do feel I have a strong common sense factor built into myself.

I have only had one interaction with the classies ever, and that was recently. A fine and enjoyable experience.

I don’t even know if I could find someone’s “profile” . Gotta wonder what mine is. Probably a ****. :wallbash:
    "Profile" is just the page you go to when you click on someone's forum name. There's not much there other then saying how long they've been on the forum, how many posts they have, things like that. But if they block you from seeing it, I think that also means you can't see any feedback they've received.

You can see yours here: https://www.indianagunowners.com/members/mij.70735/

Reactions: Mij

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    "Profile" is just the page you go to when you click on someone's forum name. There's not much there other then saying how long they've been on the forum, how many posts they have, things like that. But if they block you from seeing it, I think that also means you can't see any feedback they've received.

You can see yours here: https://www.indianagunowners.com/members/mij.70735/
    If they block their profile, you just can't see their personal info. You can still see all their posts by hovering over their avatar and clicking on their Messages (click on the number) and you can see their rating by clicking on Rating (click on the percentage).

Top Bottom