Are there any repercussions for welching in the classifieds here?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 999cs

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jul 8, 2021
    NWI
    I am not sure if this is the best place to post this. If not a mod can feel free to move it.
    I have had three members on here welch on me this past week.

One person was selling something. I told him I would take it at asking. He agreed and moved forward from there via text and setup a day and time to meet to do the FTF transaction and I was coming out to him. At almost midnight the night before the meet I get a text saying they changed their mind and no longer want to sell.

Second and third person both wanted to buy something from me. Both were not local and asked about shipping. My ad says shipping on buyer and told first person this. They gave me their info for shipping price and I told them total for items with shipping. They asked for my paypal info and I gave it to them. Then nothing for two days. I Then sent them a message asking when they are going to pay me. Another day goes by and they respond "I am having electronic issues. I thought I could resolve them independently but I can't. I am not comfortable send money."

So I go to the next individual. He says he still wants them. Same boat as first guy-no local and will need to pay shipping. Give him quote. He asks for my paypal. I give it to him. Then I get this response the next day.
    " I'm Goin to pass I can get 9 of them ets mags shipped to me for 72$ brand new from gun mag warehouse"

Is this how we roll on here? If so I might not bother anymore.

I buy and sell on other sites and this is not tolerated. Once you make an agreement you are required to see it through. Deciding later you changed your mind is not acceptable.

I would like to leave all three of these individuals negative feedback for welching so the next person can think twice about dealing with any of them. If this is going to be a problem please let me know. I will hold off for now on doing so.

If you have any further questions please let me know.

tscherry70

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 7, 2021
    Bedford
    I've not had this problem with the INGO buyers i've interacted with, but there is nothing you can really do about it. I wouldn't leave negative feedback if they backed out, unless you drive to a meet spot and they never show and never communicate anything. My advice, list it on Gunbroker instead and pay them a listing/selling fee.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    So basically there is no accountability here. People can do whatever they want to. Make a deal and then back out when they decide to.
    Your only recourse is negative feedback. Please use that. It lets others know not to bother with them.

In theory, eventually with enough neg rep others shun them and refuse to deal with them.

But please be very clear with the rep. Be specific. "didnt show up" "backed out of the deal 4 hours later" or "ghosted me". Because some people might be OK with somebody changing their mind, but wouldnt want to get stood up.

999cs

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jul 8, 2021
    NWI
    Your only recourse is negative feedback. Please use that. It lets others know not to bother with them.

In theory, eventually with enough neg rep others shun them and refuse to deal with them.

But please be very clear with the rep. Be specific. "didnt show up" "backed out of the deal 4 hours later" or "ghosted me". Because some people might be OK with somebody changing their mind, but wouldnt want to get stood up.
    Ok. Thank you. I will go forward with leaving them all negative feedback. Thanks.

snapping turtle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 5, 2009
    Madison county
    "PayPal" if asked to pay by that evil corporation which has stated that my social media post can be fined 1500 dollars if they don't agree with them I would back out with electronic difficulties "more like corporate difficulties in supporting PayPal.".

I backed out after examining a firearm once here. Numbers and manufacturers did not match the advertised 1911. I showed the seller and he was unaware but did alter the add after the meet up. I was out an hour time and gas. He got a small education on CMP arsenal markings and mix and match parts. Good firearm but not what he thought it was.

Never been stood up selling.
    If you are looking to make side money here good luck. This place can be harsh environment to conduct business.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    If you are looking to make side money here good luck. This place can be harsh environment to conduct business.
    Its only harsh if one or both of you exist only in the classifieds. I ONLY deal with folks here that actively participate.

The worst meetup I ever had was a guy that just wanted to do the swap and move on without chatting at all. That says a LOT about this place. For me, the typical transaction typically takes at LEAST 15 minutes, usually more because folks here are just that awesome. :rockwoot:

gassprint1

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Dec 15, 2015
    NWI
    Ok. Thank you. I will go forward with leaving them all negative feedback. Thanks.
    You cannot leave negative feedback for a transaction that did NOT take place. There was a discussion about this same thing a couple weeks ago. It is anyones right to back out no matter what. We make these kinds of CHOICES everyday whether you think we do or not. Like it or not, it's a right of an individual. My guess is, you dropped everything you were guna do, to do the transaction, which screwed your day and now are mad.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    You cannot leave negative feedback for a transaction that did NOT take place. There was a discussion about this same thing a couple weeks ago. It is anyones right to back out no matter what. We make these kinds of CHOICES everyday whether you think we do or not. Like it or not, it's a right of an individual. My guess is, you dropped everything you were guna do, to do the transaction, which screwed your day and now are mad.
    I respectfully disagree. If you say "I'll take it" its done. You are committed. You gave your word to follow through. If you back out then you deserve a ding. But as I said earlier you must be specific. I might look at that neg rep of backing out of an "i'll take it" and say "no way" and you might see it as "oh, is that all? I'll give him a chance." Leave it up to who reads the reps.

By your logic, if you are a no show, the transaction didnt take place so you still cant neg rep somebody because the transaction didnt happen. So I can drive an hour to meet you and since the transaction didnt take place I cant neg rep? No way.

Oh, and others like yourself might just say "ok, he backed out before we made plans to meet. No big deal." and that is your prerogative.

gassprint1

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Dec 15, 2015
    NWI
    I respectfully disagree. If you say "I'll take it" its done. You are committed. You gave your word to follow through. If you back out then you deserve a ding. But as I said earlier you must be specific. I might look at that neg rep of backing out of an "i'll take it" and say "no way" and you might see it as "oh, is that all? I'll give him a chance." Leave it up to who reads the reps.

By your logic, if you are a no show, the transaction didnt take place so you still cant neg rep somebody because the transaction didnt happen. So I can drive an hour to meet you and since the transaction didnt take place I cant neg rep? No way.

Oh, and others like yourself might just say "ok, he backed out before we made plans to meet. No big deal." and that is your prerogative.
    We are not talking about "no show", that's entirely different. We are talking about before any travel or anything. Leaving a negative would be retaliation because the transaction was stopped, the person is pissed. That's just wrong. In your own sense, if a person says I'll take it, shows up and then doesn't like what they see, it sounds as if you're saying the person is stuck with the item because they said I'll take it and if they don't..then they get negative feedback. Wrong in many aspects. A person's reason for changing their mind is irrelevant, it's their choice and prerogative.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    We are not talking about "no show", that's entirely different. We are talking about before any travel or anything. Leaving a negative would be retaliation because the transaction was stopped, the person is pissed. That's just wrong. In your own sense, if a person says I'll take it, shows up and then doesn't like what they see, it sounds as if you're saying the person is stuck with the item because they said I'll take it and if they don't..then they get negative feedback. Wrong in many aspects. A person's reason for changing their mind is irrelevant, it's their choice and prerogative.
    No. ABSOLUTELY not!

If you back out, neg rep for backing out.

If you no show, even worse neg rep for wasting my time.

If you show up and inspect my item and decide it is materially different than advertised, no neg rep. For example I advertised as "like new" but you find I bubba'd something that I didnt show in the photos, or it doesnt function test, etc. no neg rep because its not as advertised.

Make sense?

gassprint1

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Dec 15, 2015
    NWI
    No. ABSOLUTELY not!

If you back out, neg rep for backing out.

If you no show, even worse neg rep for wasting my time.

If you show up and inspect my item and decide it is materially different than advertised, no neg rep. For example I advertised as "like new" but you find I bubba'd something that I didnt show in the photos, or it doesnt function test, etc. no neg rep because its not as advertised.

Make sense?
    My opinion...

If someone says, "I'll take it" and then backs out, they're getting negative rep unless they have a damn good reason. "I changed my mind" or "I found a better deal" isn't good enough. A person is only as good as their word.
    If you can't accept the right of someone changing their mind, backing out and want to hit them with a negative, then you are in a sense stripping them of their civil liberties.....the exact things that day in and out we all fight for on this forum. Giving a negative is in retaliation for backing out, also so comparable as would be you go to s store, put something in your shopping cart, get close to the register and decide to put said item back.. hey you already were committed to buy the item..BUT you changed your mind. So what now? Should the store bann you for 30 days because you didn't buy the item.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    If you can't accept the right of someone changing their mind, backing out and want to hit them with a negative, then you are in a sense stripping them of their civil liberties.....the exact things that day in and out we all fight for on this forum. Giving a negative is in retaliation for backing out, also so comparable as would be you go to s store, put something in your shopping cart, get close to the register and decide to put said item back.. hey you already were committed to buy the item..BUT you changed your mind. So what now? Should the store bann you for 30 days because you didn't buy the item.
    Apples and oranges.

And civil liberties? Its a contract of sorts, not a free speech issue. Committing to buy an item is different than voicing your opinion on a topic.

Goodcat

From a place you cannot see…
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    152   0   0
    Jan 13, 2009
    New Pal

I still am sour that 10 years ago, a guy sold me a red dot that was busted up internally. I contacted him and he told me to screw off. I left him negative feedback, and he in turn left me negative feedback. Mods wouldn’t remove it, because they don’t get involved. It’s still in my feedback history. I refuse to leave negative feedback again for any reason.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    I still am sour that 10 years ago, a guy sold me a red dot that was busted up internally. I contacted him and he told me to screw off. I left him negative feedback, and he in turn left me negative feedback. Mods wouldn’t remove it, because they don’t get involved. It’s still in my feedback history. I refuse to leave negative feedback again for any reason.
    If it makes you feel any better, I just checked out that feedback. Given your real world rep, and the generic neg rep, I'd deal with you in a heartbeat. Your presence outside the classies counteracts that. So dont be afraid of leaving honest feedback. (thats the awesome part of INGO, at least for active members like us)

Though I did find one thing odd. I cant find your neg rep on the transaction. I see another user dinged him, but not you.

Top Bottom