• ...and so much more!
  • Ruger_Ronin

Turkey Herder
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Aug 22, 2017
    Outer Heaven
    Deer can recover from alot. IMHO, if he's healthy and can reach to lick it clean, he will probably be fine. If he's walking ok, then the bone structure is good.

^^Absolutely this^^

I have butchered deer and found previous season wounds on more than one occasion. Missed vitals and no pass through. This deer will be fine, until someone else shoots him.

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    ^^Absolutely this^^

I have butchered deer and found previous season wounds on more than one occasion. Missed vitals and no pass through. This deer will be fine, until someone else shoots him.
    I shot a 7 point buck a few years ago that had a pretty serious injury that was 90% healed.
    One front knee was the size of a grapefruit and had a small amount of puss in the knee joint itself.
    Everything more than 2" away from the swelling looked normal.
    I cut away the affected area and never looked back.

I had not noticed the injury before I pulled the trigger.
    He did not limp and showed no sign of injury in his gait.
    Like any man, "I wasn't looking at the knees, I was looking at the rack!"

:lmfao:

cg21

Master
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    May 5, 2012
    Well dad bailed on me tonight kids want to stay inside warm and do crafty stuff soooo off to public land for me. Me my turkey screen and chair. I am going to set up on a field edge (field is private woods public) I will just be on the fire break. Wind is going into the field. Had a couple doe encounters in the area during scouting and there are heavy trails.

two70

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Feb 5, 2016
    Johnson
    ^^Absolutely this^^

A friend of mine killed a buck a few years back that had a broadhead and part of the shaft healed over in one shoulder. The broadhead actually partially penetrated the near side lung and that lung was noticeably smaller and shriveled compared to the other. The buck was chasing does like a perfectly healthy buck when he shot it.

Dirty Steve

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 16, 2011
    Danville
    A friend of mine killed a buck a few years back that had a broadhead and part of the shaft healed over in one shoulder. The broadhead actually partially penetrated the near side lung and that lung was noticeably smaller and shriveled compared to the other. The buck was chasing does like a perfectly healthy buck when he shot it.
    Back in the late 80's early 90's I used to hunt the military side of Atterbury during archery season every Friday. All you had to do was show up, see what areas were open that day based on training and go hunt. We saw a doe in there for a few years with a huge scar on her back and about 6-8 inches of a broken aluminium shaft sticking straight up. Looked like a crappy shot from a treestand that didn't penetrate much and likely stuck in the top of her shoulder. Didn't seem to bother her in the least.

tcecil88

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 18, 2013
    @ the corner of IN, KY & OH.
    It's amazing how much damage a deer can absorb and how they can adapt to situations. I hit a deer with my truck several years ago. I got slowed down and bumped her pretty good. When I got out she was gone. A few months later I saw 7 deer in a field close to that spot and the last deer was limping real bad on the right rear, just where I hit the deer. I assume that it was her and she wasn't having any trouble keeping up with the rest of the deer.

ws6duramax

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Nov 21, 2011
    Metamora
    This one was shot over Thanksgiving last year. Wound was all healed over and he had just a small limp. We assumed it was from early bow season. He was chasing a doe ! Tough animals for sure 20211127_124945.jpg

Michigan Slim

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 19, 2014
    Fort Wayne
    Just got home from the cabin. Deer were out, just mostly at night. Tight as ticks in the swamps around me.
    The weather folks were calling for 9-12" of snow. They may be right! If I had not run out of propane this morning I would have stayed and watched it come. IMG_20221117_092339050.jpg IMG_20221116_081618090_HDR.jpg

curraheeguns

Master
    Rating - 100%
    77   0   0
    Nov 8, 2008
    NW Hendricks County
    Opening weekend in Hendricks County.

My 13 year old boys first deer. He used a 1970's vintage Remington 788 in .243 at 100 yards.

My second best deer. I used a 1980's Remington 700 Varmint .308 (Vietnam Era M24 look'ish alike) at 185 yards.

Great weekend, great memories.

Attachments

• 2022_Buck.jpg
      2022_Buck.jpg
      568.5 KB · Views: 49
    • Buck_Nick.jpg
      Buck_Nick.jpg
      602.8 KB · Views: 47

patience0830

.22 magician
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 96.6%
    28   1   0
    Nov 3, 2008
    Not far from the tree
    Saw a total of 6 deer out the window of my truck today. Hopefully I'll see some while I'm actually hunting on Saturday...
    There was a buck that was massive on the northbound side of I65 just north of the hwy 46 exit this morning. I'll bet the inside spread was 30". Shame to see one like that along the road dead.

cg21

Master
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    May 5, 2012
    Had my oldest daughter with me has been SLOW this season for her. Haven’t seen much, finally last night 5 deer start walking across the firebreak we are hunting 100yds. She gets ready gets down on the stock zooms in breaths good picks her target goes to shoot. Left the safety on in that split second the deer decide they are not gonna sit in the open shot opportunity, gone. Poor kid lol

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    Had my oldest daughter with me has been SLOW this season for her. Haven’t seen much, finally last night 5 deer start walking across the firebreak we are hunting 100yds. She gets ready gets down on the stock zooms in breaths good picks her target goes to shoot. Left the safety on in that split second the deer decide they are not gonna sit in the open shot opportunity, gone. Poor kid lol
    Live and learn.
    I once traveled 30 minutes to my hunting grounds (at the time) only to realize I had brought my muzzleloader, bullets, powder, and no primers!
    Never repeated that episode.
    BTW- It's 14 degrees out there today.
    Absolutely beautiful, clear, cold, and not even a breeze.
    Should be a great day for deer hunting.
    Problem is, evidently no one told the deer, or maybe they did...
    Just beautiful. Cold, but just beautiful.
    I'm in a nice warm heated shack.

Attachments

• IMG_20221120_102847694_HDR.jpg
      IMG_20221120_102847694_HDR.jpg
      904.4 KB · Views: 15
    Last edited:
    Top Bottom