HEAVY squirrel activity this morning lol

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    I had a very small fawn in front of my blind for more than 30 minutes and then it alerted on something in the distance.
    It stood like a statue for 3-4 minutes and then walked off slowly with it's tail straight up in the air.
    Weird.
    Nothing else yet, but what a beautiful day.

ACC

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    134   0   1
    Mar 7, 2012
    N. Side of Indy
    Not sure what was going on but in Parke Co it was DEAD this morning. Was in the tree at 6:30am. Small 6 point walked by at 6:50am and then a tiny doe at 8:30am. That’s it. Otherwise no movement. And only heard like 3 shots from the surrounding area as opposed to like 12 yesterday morning.

Michigan Slim

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 19, 2014
    Fort Wayne
    Shot the third buck I saw today. Eight point, 154 pounds. Daughter passed on a spike and a small 8. We stayed in our blinds for two hours after I shot. Saw eight more does and two bucks. Another small eight point chased the doe that my buck was chasing. There are at least two out there yet bigger than this so my daughter has a good chance. IMG_20221113_140525.jpg

spencer rifle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    67   0   0
    Apr 15, 2011
    Scrounging brass
    Saturday morning:
    Saw a flash of white before sunrise while walking to the stand. Then nothing. Lots of shots elsewhere. Many new rubs and scrapes.
    1668372572911.png
    1668372610486.png
    1668372763154.png

Saturday evening:
    Youngest and I got to the stands around 4. Squirrels and great horned owls.
    1668372964698.png

I have never passed on a deer. The farmer on whose land I hunt wants the population thinned. Does taste the same as bucks, and they affect the population more than bucks. I do my part to keep them off the roads. About 5:20 a spike buck (with a tiny fork on each antler) moseyed in from the north, downwind from me. Last year I got an 8 point for my first ever buck from that tree stand. This guy was mid sized, and very curious, sniffing the air and moving around between 30 and 50 yards away. He was too small the be the one who did all those rubs and scrapes. Occasionally presented broadside, but mostly head or tail on or behind trees. I didn't take the shots I had, and then it started getting too dark to be sure. Thought about a head shot (the rifle is certainly up to it), but didn't want a subsequent downhill gut shot. I didn't want to try and track him in the dark. So he wandered off in the falling sleet.

I passed on a deer. It is possible I might not get another chance. Have I become what I swore I would never be - a buck snob?

Last edited:

DEC

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jul 25, 2008
    Angola
    She looks wet in the pic or is it a shadow
    It was late September and she had shed most all of her summer coat. The dark color is her new fall coat coming in. Most deer go through this during September. I see it to one degree or another in most every deer that I see during September hunting.

cg21

Master
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    May 5, 2012
    It was late September and she had shed most all of her summer coat. The dark color is her new fall coat coming in. Most deer go through this during September. I see it to one degree or another in most every deer that I see during September hunting.
    Thanks I see it now that I zoomed it. enjoy the rest of your season hopefully I can catch up.

two70

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Feb 5, 2016
    Johnson
    This was one of the better opening weekends I've had. In between nearly whiteout conditions Saturday morning I called in a really nice looking 2.5 year old 8 pointer with a severe limp. I kept expecting him to fall over and kept trying to find a wound that apparently wasn't there. I think he may have been an EHD survivor with the hoof issues that often come with it. It sounded like the hunters to the west and northwest were either having a very good day, target practicing, or needed to. It was easily the most shots I've heard in that area in the 7 years I've hunted there.

I ended up seeing 3 more bucks and Limpy again Saturday evening along with 5 does. The 4 bucks came in together with a spike leading and a small antlered 4.5 trailing. The nicest one was a 3.5 year old 10 so I let them walk and was treated to a brief show by 4.5 year old working a scrape as they left.

I saw little activity Sunday morning until about 8:30 when I had an even nicer looking 3.5 year old 8 or 9 point chase a doe past me. Try as I might, I couldn't convince myself that he was any older than 3.5. I ended up seeing 2-3 more does and Limpy yet again. Sunday evening was really slow but still saw a small forky and 2 more does.

trimman83

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 22, 2010
    Warren Park
    I got a doe in the snow on Saturday. Shades State Park today, got another doe. Over 110 deer so far taken at Shades. (Second hand reporting……just what I heard)

I also killed a big, heavy 11point buck at the park, but I had been watching a couple guys over on another hill shooting at deer for a bit. I watched 2 bucks and a doe run away from the area. The big buck limped up my way and I put it down. It hadn’t left a blood trail for the guys to follow, so I yelled over and told them where it was, at the base of my stand. I pointed them in the general direction where I saw the other buck run and they got on a blood trail to that one also. Lots of action today. My partner also got a small buck.

two70

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Feb 5, 2016
    Johnson
    I got a doe in the snow on Saturday. Shades State Park today, got another doe. Over 110 deer so far taken at Shades. (Second hand reporting……just what I heard)

I also killed a big, heavy 11point buck at the park, but I had been watching a couple guys over on another hill shooting at deer for a bit. I watched 2 bucks and a doe run away from the area. The big buck limped up my way and I put it down. It hadn’t left a blood trail for the guys to follow, so I yelled over and told them where it was, at the base of my stand. I pointed them in the general direction where I saw the other buck run and they got on a blood trail to that one also. Lots of action today. My partner also got a small buck.
    Those reduction hunts can get kind of western at times. Hopefully those other hunters realize how fortunate they were and learn to shoot more carefully. I doubt it but one can hope.

AmericanBob

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    May 10, 2009
    Noblesville
    Saturday morning found me laid out prone on a rise in the middle of a corn field I haven't hunted much watching a nice healthy doe when this little guy tried to run me over. Not the wall hanger I was hoping for, but he sure is gonna be tasty! First deer I've taken with the ol' Swiss Miss too. Hopefully my reduction zone buck tag will garner a place above the mantle.

20221112_083605.jpg

Top Bottom