• mom45

Momerator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 10, 2013
    NW of Sunshine
    I heard four shots so we took a walk to the back of the property. No deer or trespassers seen, but when checking the camera cards, there were three does that passed through right about the time we heard the shots in that area. Heard a few more shots but not close enough to be the neighbor. No snow here yet so it wasn't too bad for walking and checking the boundaries. My freezers are already full so we aren't hunting this year.

model1994

quick draw mcgraw
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Aug 17, 2022
    glacial boundary
    beautiful and active morning in the hills of Owen county. I passed on a spike buck and doe at 5-10 yards (they had their minds on one thing), a button buck at 15 yards following the first two, and a doe at 20 yards later on. all too small. and since it's opening morning I'm not in a rush to fill the freezer. It was probably one of my favorite days hunting; first time on my own land, opening day snow, deer were moving and squirrels weren't, let this dusty old Model 11 get some action, ...

And it's almost time to go back out!
    PXL_20221112_133735668.jpg

cg21

Master
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    May 5, 2012
    well had a good first sit with my dad. He seemed to enjoy himself has been texting me about deer stuff ever since. Had a buck before light grunting at us about 10yds away down wind. And then we had two does sprint across a shooting lane. About 30m later 3 more then a fox a few minutes later.(I think the buck was the culprit) I just can’t imagine those deer were in full sprint from a fox. And we definitely weren’t winded had a good cross wind. He does hate this big clunky muzzle loader in the blind. Thinking of switching up to the Henry. All in all pretty eventful sit taking my daughter out tonight that got skunked in youth.

Last edited:

edwea

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Jan 25, 2015
    New Dolan
    Got a doe and small buck in Putnam Co. Blooded the ingo lower 6.5grendel again. 120 gn speer gold dot over h4895 works like a charm. Something so fun about shooting a snow covered rifle! Channeling my inner Jeremiah Johnson I suppose.

1nderbeard

Master
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Apr 3, 2017
    Hendricks County
    A nice day overall. I was a little frustrated at myself this morning.

Took my 8 year old and one of his buddies to hunt in SW Hendricks. We were about 200 yards from a narrow creek with narrow woods connecting a bunch of cornfields, and sitting at the edge of a hayfield. Right as I was telling the boys hunting is about waiting and being alert we saw our first doe. About 730. Never really got a good shot. It was about 200 yards and quartering away most of the time.

Maybe an hour later, as I was telling the boys they could get out and walk to the house (Son's Buddies Grandfather's) the son's buddy pointed out another nicer doe. This one presented a shot opportunity. Maybe 180-190 yards. Took the shot, and wound up missing cleanly. No blood, and no doe. Kind of frustrated at myself. I used point blank range sighting method, and probably shot over the top of the dear. Rifle is 260 yards zero, and I should have been aiming 4 inches low. I messed up in my head and aimed 4 inches high (I think). Anyway the kids got out and went to the house.

I saw a coyote next, about 1.5 hours later. Same thing. Should have aimed 4 inches low, and went over the top of it. He was slinking down in some tall grass and I just rushed the shot. I also figured 200 yards on the range, and he was prob 150.

Went home frustrated that I'd rushed and missed twice. But my son and his buddy both told me that was the most fun they'd had hunting.

Side note: ARs are freaking loud in a blind. My ears are still ringing.

Michigan Slim

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 19, 2014
    Fort Wayne
    Saw seven different bucks and six does. Had a really nice buck chase a doe around us but my daughter couldn't get a shot. She had a nice eight at about 170 yards but it was snowing so hard her scope got covered faster than she could clear it. Would have been slam dunk for her.
    Dang, have to do it again tomorrow!

indyjohn

PATRIOT
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    78   0   0
    Dec 26, 2010
    In the trees
    beautiful and active morning in the hills of Owen county. I passed on a spike buck and doe at 5-10 yards (they had their minds on one thing), a button buck at 15 yards following the first two, and a doe at 20 yards later on. all too small. and since it's opening morning I'm not in a rush to fill the freezer. It was probably one of my favorite days hunting; first time on my own land, opening day snow, deer were moving and squirrels weren't, let this dusty old Model 11 get some action, ...

And it's almost time to go back out!
    View attachment 236327
    Good stuff, right there.

BigRed

Banned More Than You
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 29, 2017
    1,000 yards out
    Had a good big breakfast with the youngest girl, played with the dog.

Getting ready to head out for an evening hunt

Got out this afternoon. Some young bucks were pushing does around the woods. Kept passing but one doe seemed bound and determined. When she got to where I could just throw her in the back of the truck, I said "fine". She's hanging in the shed tonight.

Right after that shot, another doe came through and stood 20 yards from my stand as I was climbing down. Stayed there long enough to get a sight on her...passed. Already had one and was able to get home for dinner.

Bucks and does where I was hanging out are just plain nuts right now.

Top Bottom