• ...and so much more!
  • patience0830

.22 magician
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 96.6%
    28   1   0
    Nov 3, 2008
    Not far from the tree
    Looking forward to Saturday. Youngest will have a Ruger American and I will have a Tikka T3X, both in .308 using 168 grain BTSP handloads. Might get out with the crossbow yet this week.

On the way home from our small group meeting last night 2 different people mentioned that they almost hit deer that were crossing the road. Guess they're moving around in some places, but not so much in the daytime. That heavy winter coat gets them overheated on the warm days we're having. Might have to move to evenings instead of mornings - sunrise comes mighty early now. But then deer season crashes up against volleyball season.
    I about nailed one in PA on a two lane with the Wal-Mart wagon the other nite. They're definitely moving. Bet I saw 50 killed on the PA roads this week.

Hawkj

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 5, 2022
    Westpoint, IN
    I’m on vacation until until the 22nd. Seen a few big bucks early in the season just out of range. This cold front coming this weekend is getting me excited and hopefully the deer are too. Heading to Fountain County in morning to see what’s happening down there.

hoosierdaddy1976

I Can't Believe it's not Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Mar 17, 2011
    newton county
    Going to try to get 3 of my daughters out this weekend. None of them mentioned wanting to go until last week (and I haven't been hunting in years, too busy going to/from their basketball games) so we are woefully unprepared but we'll get sighted in tomorrow and hope to get lucky at least once.

amboy49

Master
    Rating - 83.3%
    5   1   0
    Feb 1, 2013
    central indiana
    So. . . . . . . you can plant a food plot., Corn, beans, turnips, milo, etc, etc.

But . . . . . put out a salt block or thrown corn or beans on the ground and that is “baiting.”

But . . . . . . You can’t just throw out corn or beans and hunt over it.

However, I also don’t think you can throw carrots or similar on the ground either.

But. . . . .can I throw out Halloween pumpkins ? What will the CO say about that ?

BigRed

Banned More Than You
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 29, 2017
    1,000 yards out
    Going to try to get 3 of my daughters out this weekend. None of them mentioned wanting to go until last week (and I haven't been hunting in years, too busy going to/from their basketball games) so we are woefully unprepared but we'll get sighted in tomorrow and hope to get lucky at least once.

Good luck,,,,,and enjoy the time with the girls!

trimman83

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 22, 2010
    Warren Park
    So. . . . . . . you can plant a food plot., Corn, beans, turnips, milo, etc, etc.

But . . . . . put out a salt block or thrown corn or beans on the ground and that is “baiting.”

However, I also don’t think you can throw carrots or similar on the ground either.

But. . . . .can I throw out Halloween pumpkins ? What will the CO say about that ?
    My guess is he/she will ticket you for hunting deer over bait if you are within (I think) 100 yards of it. I am sure pumpkin is deer bait. But, you can post a sign near the pumpkins stating that it is not to be eaten by deer. Any deer caught eating it will be shot. But, on the other hand, grow a pumpkin patch next year in front of your deer blind, and hunt over it all you like.

Michigan Slim

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 19, 2014
    Fort Wayne
    That's funny you mentioned it. My daughter watched a button buck eat half a huge pumpkin at the cabin this weekend. Said he mailed it good.

Michigan Slim

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 19, 2014
    Fort Wayne

Got caught,eh? Lol

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette

Anything brought in to the field that the deer will eat is considered bait under Indiana regulations.
    Also, if ground is baited with anything that soaks into the soil, the "affected soil" must be removed before the beginning of the season.
    It it something like 14 days before the beginning of the season, but I can't remember exactly.
    Don't take my word for it.
    Look up the regulations for yourself.

jagee

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 19, 2013
    New Palestine
    Anything brought in to the field that the deer will eat is considered bait under Indiana regulations.
    Also, if ground is baited with anything that soaks into the soil, the "affected soil" must be removed before the beginning of the season.
    It it something like 14 days before the beginning of the season, but I can't remember exactly.
    Don't take my word for it.
    Look up the regulations for yourself.
    I think it's 10 days. But, yeah...

tcecil88

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 18, 2013
    @ the corner of IN, KY & OH.
    I would normally be hunting pretty hard now, and am at the Farm with the intentions of doing so, but I have been sick the whole time. I have to cough and hack every couple minutes or so and didn't want to ruin my area, so I have just been piddling around here. It feels a lot like when I had Covid, without the body aches and loss of smell & taste. The home test said negative. :dunno:
    Hopefully I will be fixed up by the time I can come down again next Monday for several days of firearms season.

El Conquistador

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Jan 28, 2019
    far from here
    So this morning around 8am i had a real nice 10 point walk in about 30 yards, i drew back and stopped him, let the arrow go and heard it hit him. I waited about 15 minutes got down found my arrow with hair and blood on it but only 6 inches of penetration. Got back in the stand and waited 2 hours, started tracking found blood about 40 yards from the hit, it was a easy walking blood trail for about 200 yards with bright red blood. He went into a old dried up pond that has turned into a major thicket, lost blood in the middle. I walked circles around no sign of him or blood. Looked for about 4 hours, nothing. I think I hit the shoulder because of the lack of penetration and he laid there until the bleeding stopped. This is the first one I haven’t found in a long time. Today started off a good day now it sucks.

tcecil88

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 18, 2013
    @ the corner of IN, KY & OH.
    So this morning around 8am i had a real nice 10 point walk in about 30 yards, i drew back and stopped him, let the arrow go and heard it hit him. I waited about 15 minutes got down found my arrow with hair and blood on it but only 6 inches of penetration. Got back in the stand and waited 2 hours, started tracking found blood about 40 yards from the hit, it was a easy walking blood trail for about 200 yards with bright red blood. He went into a old dried up pond that has turned into a major thicket, lost blood in the middle. I walked circles around no sign of him or blood. Looked for about 4 hours, nothing. I think I hit the shoulder because of the lack of penetration and he laid there until the bleeding stopped. This is the first one I haven’t found in a long time. Today started off a good day now it sucks.
    Sorry you lost the deer.
    My son shot one years ago with a crossbow and he hit it high on the shoulder. It bleed very well for about 100 yards, bright red blood but no bubbles. We tracked it for quite a way through an old clear cut and lost blood in a creek bottom. The arrow stayed in him though, so that didn't help us at all.
    Hopefully he will heal up and be fine. Bucks are pretty tough, especially big bucks.

mom45

Momerator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 10, 2013
    NW of Sunshine
    She's probably about 5'6 or 5'7 and slim build. Her brothers look like body builders and look small next to her in the photos that had the three of them. They must have some awesome hunting property because the one she got last year during archery was quite impressive, and one of her brothers took one that was comparable, if not bigger, just a few days before she got this one.

cg21

Master
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    May 5, 2012
    Getting geared up for this weekend. Cold front moving in… getting bucks on camera in daylight... taking my dad out on his very first hunt ever… he will be using a muzzleloader we got from a friend… that was rotting in a garage he cleaned it up sighted it in and that’s what he is using I will have the 350 legend. He is worried about climbing a tree stand so I am going to do my best to find us a decent spot on the ground. I have two blinds out and we can be mobile if needed.

patience0830

.22 magician
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 96.6%
    28   1   0
    Nov 3, 2008
    Not far from the tree
    Getting geared up for this weekend. Cold front moving in… getting bucks on camera in daylight... taking my dad out on his very first hunt ever… he will be using a muzzleloader we got from a friend… that was rotting in a garage he cleaned it up sighted it in and that’s what he is using I will have the 350 legend. He is worried about climbing a tree stand so I am going to do my best to find us a decent spot on the ground. I have two blinds out and we can be mobile if needed.
    Bucks were chasing hard today. No shots this morning except a miss on a coyote at 35 yds. Gotta remember to put a pistol in my bag. This one stood on the dam at 30 yards and looked at me getting some stuff outta the pickup after I came in.
    20221109_095152.jpg

Top Bottom