• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • spainy79

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 19, 2008
    Sullivan
    My season has pretty well come to a close. I put 2 down on Friday. The first was a lone doe that rolled through at 8:15am. I don't know if I flinched or she took a step as I was pulling the trigger but I hit her mid section. She took off but didn't run far. She stayed standing for a couple minutes then finally bedded. Over the next 2 hours she would occasionally stand, move a few yards then bed again. Every time she put trees between us and I never could get a good second shot. Finally at 10:15am I decided to thread the needle and put her down. I knew she wasn't doing good as she had tried to stand 2 times and couldn't do it. I made the best shot I could that was presented to me and that put her down for good. This was the first kill for the 350 Legend Cascade. The ammo I'm using is Winchester Defender 160 gr hollow points. The buck I shot last year was with the same ammo but out of my 350 Legend AR. OK. Now on to the latter half of the day. We start getting ready some time after 3pm and debating on where we're going to sit. My nephew, bro in law and his dad head to their choices. I didn't feel like putting a lot of effort in to walking back to where I had shot the doe and opted for a short walk from the house. I got sat up around 3:45pm just sitting on my 5 gallon bucket thinking I'm just going to sit there for 2 hours playing on my phone. About 10 minutes pass and I hear a noise to my right. My sister and bro in law have goats and I'm on the back side of where the pen is for them. Figuring it was just one of the goats moving I kept looking to the right to confirm it was a goat but it wasn't. A good size buck was making his way up out of the ditch (now opposite side of me) and heading my way. The wind was 100% in my favor. His head was down (kind of a sneak mode) and he wasn't stopping for anything. I had about a 1-2 second window to make it happen. If he got past that point then the wind was no longer in my favor. I pulled the trigger (a bit early) and thought I hit him high above the vitals. He ran and disappeared over a hill and it sounded like he crashed but I wasn't sure. I start checking for blood and find very little. Call the bro in law to update him and he tells me to sit tight and give him time. I wait for an hour sick to my stomach thinking I rushed this shot and now there's a wounded buck because of me. An hour passes and I start on the blood trail. I went back to the point of last blood and notice the spot was much more than the last. With every step I take the amount of blood increases...a lot. Confidence level is rising believing this deer is on the ground and he was. What I thought had happened did and he crashed on the other side of the hill. My shot hit him square in the boiler. The only thing I can guess is since he was so close (maybe 20 yards, probably less) that with my 100 yard zero the bullet has the initial drop out of the barrel before it starts to climb. It's the only thing that make sense. Does this sound right? So the photos below start with my pics of opening weekend in the snow then followed by pics from Friday.
    Walking in opening morning I turned around to see if the cam was even working. Seen the red lights flash and continued on.
    YozcPF3.jpg

9am
    u9DXicl.jpg

weagXmr.jpg

Friday morning doe
    3Y9VoF8.jpg

Late afternoon buck
    qCYVNg6.jpg

UpbVrbM.jpg

We have an area where we like to field dress deer as we believe it helps keep yotes away from the homes. This picture was in my parents driveway before we loaded up to go field dress.
    mpKpME4.jpg

two70

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Feb 5, 2016
    Johnson
    With about 10 minutes of legal shooting time left last night but already dark enough that I could hardly see a deer in most of the openings around me, I decided I'd had about all I could take of the wind and cold. Having learned the hard way on more than one occasion, I decided to do a quick scan with my binos before starting to pack up. Much to my surprise, about half way through my sweep I notice antlers. After snapping the binos back to him, I quickly spot 3 long tines sticking up. I'm already well on my way to deciding that he's a shooter at this point when he briefly looks my direction and reveals that he is well past his ears on both sides and removes all doubt. I quickly drop the binos and move my rifle and tripod into position, only to find that he has vanished. I waited another 10 minutes with teeth chattering just to make sure I didn't spook him on my way out.

Michigan Slim

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 19, 2014
    Fort Wayne
    Had my daughter sit in my blind because it's been good this year. The shooter walked by me in her blind at 20 yards. She passed on a big six this morning too.

Typicalclinger

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 6, 2011
    Fort Wayne
    I was fortunate enough to get this 8 point at 4:30 this evening with my .350 Legend. Buck went maybe 20 yards from the shot. The hole you see in the side is the exit. Bullet hit the near shoulder, got the top of the heart and bottom of the lungs. This was my first deer since 2019. Now if I can get a doe with my 10mm I'll be pleased as punch. View attachment 236794
    I was curious what optic you are using? I am thinking about buying or putting together an upper for .350 legend. I'm using a Ruger Ranch bolt gun in .350 right now with a 3-9x40 vortex on on it. Nice deer btw. .

yote hunter

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Dec 27, 2013
    Indiana
    DONE ! 11/20/2022
    View attachment 237889
    View attachment 237898
    Not a giant but he will eat good .
    Took the middle gson and let him do the blood tracking .
    I have done that with the oldest gson and had a euro mount for him , so will have a euro mount done for the middle gson too.

Next one the littlest gson gets to track it & then he will get a euro mount.
    Making memories….

yote hunter

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Dec 27, 2013
    Indiana
    Took the middle gson and let him do the blood tracking .
    I have done that with the oldest gson and had a euro mount for him , so will have a euro mount done for the middle gson too.

Next one the littlest gson gets to track it & then he will get a euro mount.
    Making memories….
    This is the oldest gson’s , was a bow kill that he tracked .
    47D71A58-1121-4284-B519-571BE1B83EB6.jpeg

tcecil88

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 18, 2013
    @ the corner of IN, KY & OH.
    I was curious what optic you are using? I am thinking about buying or putting together an upper for .350 legend. I'm using a Ruger Ranch bolt gun in .350 right now with a 3-9x40 vortex on on it. Nice deer btw. .
    Thanks a bunch. The scope is a US Optics Model TS-12X, 3-12x44. It just has the regular crosshair. Glass quality is very good. The mount is an Aero Precision Ultralight. I believe it ran just shy of $400 when I bought it from Amazon.

glank09

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Mar 27, 2013
    Corunna
    Son got his 9pt about 4:45pm this afternoon. 300BO Barnes TacTX 110gr. One shot-DRT. Split his heart in two. Deer was dead before he hit the ground.

Yesterday was a bust. It was nice and calm this afternoon and there was much more movement.

View attachment 237952
    I love that Barnes TacTX 110gr. for deer. Have shot 4 deer with it and 3/4 never took a step!

Last edited:
    Top Bottom