When did golf carts and side by sides become so common?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • breakingcontact

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 75%
    3   1   0
    Mar 7, 2018
    Southern Indiana
    Where I live we have golf carts and "side by sides" all over the place.

I think to myself..."not my thing but I suppose so, they aren't hurting anyone so whatever".

I got around to looking up the price on golf carts and side by sides and was completely floored.

Folks out there with deep pockets or lots of loans I suppose.

Golf carts are commonly 5k and side by sides 15k!

I've seen some side by sides kitted out for offroading which I'm sure is fun.

Strange phenomenon to me but I may be getting old and set in my ways. (You could buy a used truck with that money! :))

Born2vette

Norm, Team woodworker
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Jul 25, 2020
    Westfield
    When I was a kid we went everywhere on our bikes. Now I see the children taking the family golf cart everywhere, including all the places that have no golf cart signs. Many seem to take golf carts to the subdivision pool. Now my old slow a** can walk from one end to the other in our subdivision in 20 minute so no one is more than a 10 minute slow walk from the pool and we have sidewalks and multipurpose trails (golf carts prohibited—which is ignored) throughout. Sadly many of those same children are very overweight.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    The golf cart thing seemed to take off when gas prices spiked at the tail end of the Bush years. I would not be surprised to see a resurgence with the recent spike as well, but do not live in an area conducive to them.

I saw a side-by-side at the liqour store in a small town as I drove by yesterday, though I don't know if it was strictly legal or not. It had it's safety flag, so how illegal could it be?

smokingman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Indiana
    Go to any tractor show in Indiana and you will see almost as many golf carts as tractors, and a few side by sides.

My grandfather used to run the Johnson county tractor club so I have been to plenty of those shows. He had multiple golf carts and a little electric utility factory type truck he remade with a snowmobile engine, off road suspension, and off road tires("for the mud" lol).

I still miss him. I learned more from him about how to fix something than anyone else.

Nugget

Milsurp Enjoyer
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jul 30, 2022
    Morgan County
    We live in a small subdivision of about 20 houses. Three houses have golf carts and 2 or 3 others have four wheelers. It's mostly the pre-teen and teenagers that ride around the neighborhood. As born2vette said, I remember when kids rode bikes. Now, if it doesn't have a motor, they don't seem interested. Even their scooters and skateboards have engines! Man, I feel old now.

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    I haven't looked it up, but the state law was change 10 or 15 years ago to, by default, allow things like golf carts on many roads, but allowing municipalities to make their own ordinances. Before that, things like golf carts were in a legal gray area without much guidance.

Nugget

Milsurp Enjoyer
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jul 30, 2022
    Morgan County
    I haven't looked it up, but the state law was change 10 or 15 years ago to, by default, allow things like golf carts on many roads, but allowing municipalities to make their own ordinances. Before that, things like golf carts were in a legal gray area without much guidance.
    There are few things more exciting for everyone involved as golf carts on county roads. The thrill of flying up behind one on a blind curve, having one pull out in front of you, or having an 80 year old make a surprise left turn in his as you try to pass him on his left in your car. (Yes, I've had all of those thing happen to me in the last several years.)

And let's not even get started on the number of them out on the roads if you visit a beach town in the Carolinas, Georgia, or Florida!

Last edited:

breakingcontact

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 75%
    3   1   0
    Mar 7, 2018
    Southern Indiana
    I don't think you can drink and drive them but...

Frosty

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jan 27, 2013
    Greencastle
    There are few things more exciting for everyone involved as golf carts on county roads. The thrill of flying up behind one on a blind curve, having one pull out in front of you, or having an 80 year old make a surprise left turn in his as you try to pass him on his left in your car. (Yes, I've had all of those thing happen to me in the last several years.)

And let's not even get started on the number of them out on the roads if you visit a beach town in the Carolinas, Georgia, or Florida!
    Sounds like the old people around here but in their cars :facepalm:

RobbyMaQ

#BarnWoodStrong
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Mar 26, 2012
    Lizton
    Agreed. I'd love to have a gator or something for yard work. No space enough for a truck, but We just can't afford that sorta 'toy' when we can just continue to use the mower to haul stuff.

Even out here in Lizton on the country backroads there's a couple of em that ride a golf cart and a side by side up and down the roads...

indyjohn

PATRIOT
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    78   0   0
    Dec 26, 2010
    In the trees
    In Indiana, it is up to the county to determine if quads, side-by-sides, or golf carts are legal to operate on roadways. Many rural counties allow it, most urban counties do not.

You all know I have a Gator. I use it as my primary transportation on my land. In town, it sits in the garage. Our subdivision has a few golf carts, a few motorized scooters, and a few quads. The kids that operate them are taking risks I think a bit worse than what I did on my Stingray back in the 70s. I grew up living on US36 in Putnam County. I dodged cars & semi-trucks doing 70+ mph for damn near a decade. We could see a good mile down the road, so we had plenty of time to get out of the way of what was coming. The dumb kids in my neighborhood will barely move to the side of the street when they come up on you flat out. This one young girl drives a 'lifted' golf cart practically flat out with her friends hanging off it. You can see by the map that ORVs are not allowed to operate on the streets of Marion county. Their parents are either unaware or don't care (my neighbor takes pics and sends them to Crime Stoppers, the City Action Line, and the HOA. No action.) Hope their parents have good insurance...

Last edited:
    Top Bottom