When did golf carts and side by sides become so common?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Vodnik4

Aspiring Redneck
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 24, 2021
    Monroe
    I must be really out of touch. I had no idea what the heck a side by side is.
    This being a gun forum, I assumed we are talking about side-by-side shotguns.

From the title, Imagined old geezers tooling around town in golf carts, with their buddy riding shotgun holding a SxS shotgun, just in case them youngsters are getting out of hand.

ancjr

1 Kings 18:17-18 KJV
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 20, 2021
    Washington County
    I remember when they airlifted this guy. I was in the yard talking to a buddy when the chopper flew over.

yeti rider

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 95%
    19   1   0
    Dec 17, 2011
    Lafayette
    We have a Polaris ranger sxs. I have about 5 acres of mostly wooded property, with a decent length paved driveway. I use the heck out of it hauling chainsaws, using the winch on trees, and i plow with it in the winter. I go "road farming" with the kids and dog on occasion. The county roads out by me are not busy, at all.

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    I saw an interesting comparison some time back, the size, ability, and utility of most modern side by sides are similar to the old Willy’s jeeps. (Racing types excluded.)

Just like the farm equipment manufacturers forsook small tractors for a good while then Kubota and others started filling the market with smaller cool tools for smaller jobs. The side by sides are just a modern incarnation of the old Willy’s…

TheGrumpyGuy

Get off my lawn!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 12, 2020
    Too close for comfort
    Wait until you get a look at these. Heat ac enclosed cab 60 mph ish dupm beds vans ect.

I'd buy one just for the fact they're right-hand drive

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    Maybe I'm out of date but I thought ALL that stuff, golf karts and ATVs and SxS, were no-go anywhere in Indiana except private property.
    It’s up to the cities and county .gov’s apparently. I don’t think they’re allowed on US or IN highways—just city/county streets/roads.

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    We have a Polaris ranger sxs. I have about 5 acres of mostly wooded property, with a decent length paved driveway. I use the heck out of it hauling chainsaws, using the winch on trees, and i plow with it in the winter. I go "road farming" with the kids and dog on occasion. The county roads out by me are not busy, at all.
    I do the same with my John Deere 5303 tractor. Except my kids are grown up and my wife doesn’t care about riding on the fender. ;)

tmschuller

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Feb 25, 2013
    Grant county
    It might end up like the jet ski scenario awhile back.. crazy and unsafe until.. now there are rules
    Some places with golf carts rolling around and kids not seatbelted in and dont understand when it’s golf cart vs car the cart is going to lose badly. Right now I don’t see snowmobiles running around but where I am but only time they can be out is 1. Snow on the ground and 2 a snow emergency called. ;)
    I don’t get the golf cart thing on public streets. Certain exclusions can apply but not day to day. I have a side by side and live in the country and use it around here for its intended purpose.
    In our county you can drive on the road if you have a slow moving sign- headlights and brake lights. I have all of that but have not gone far on the road.
    Go south a bit and a side by side is used all the time and the miles they rack up is a lot.

Creedmoor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 10, 2022
    Madison Co Indiana
    It might end up like the jet ski scenario awhile back.. crazy and unsafe until.. now there are rules
    Some places with golf carts rolling around and kids not seatbelted in and dont understand when it’s golf cart vs car the cart is going to lose badly. Right now I don’t see snowmobiles running around but where I am but only time they can be out is 1. Snow on the ground and 2 a snow emergency called. ;)
    I don’t get the golf cart thing on public streets. Certain exclusions can apply but not day to day. I have a side by side and live in the country and use it around here for its intended purpose.
    In our county you can drive on the road if you have a slow moving sign- headlights and brake lights. I have all of that but have not gone far on the road.
    Go south a bit and a side by side is used all the time and the miles they rack up is a lot.
    Come a bit farther south an Alex is chock full of golf carts, the stupidness is endless.
    Infants being held by parents, grandparents and other siblings. Have yet to see a carseat in one, kids driving with zero knowledge of the road, the big crash is just a matter of time here.
    Ive wondered if they have insurance.

femurphy77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 5, 2009
    S.E. of disorder
    We bought a nicely customized golf cart from a guy in Ohio several years ago. I don't know what their laws are/were but it still had the Ohio license plate on it and I received the Ohio title for it when I bought it. Not a special license plate either but a standard one as you'd see on any passenger car.

Here in Morgan county it's legal on most county roads with a relatively short list of no go roads. I suppose I could drive it all the way to Camby (10 miles) to get my hair cut in a couple of hours.

We originally bought it due to the antique engine show that SWMBO's family is into and we attend each year. It quickly morphed into a compound support vehicle for tree trimming, weed spraying, etc. We're on 4 1/2 acres so probably the line between useful and just a toy really but it earns it's keep the other 361 days a year we're not involved in the tractor show.

I do have a 24 hp Honda Vtwin I'd like to put on it one of these days. . . . . .:thumbsup:

Top Bottom