When did golf carts and side by sides become so common?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Mij

Permaplinker (thanks to Expat)
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 22, 2022
    In the corn and beans
    Hey bud I know it was late but the crooked row thing is a joke we’ve been making for generations (literally) to excuse our crooked rows. Straight rows were a point of pride among old farmers. Now we just hit a button and they’re pretty straight.
    We’ll burn 20-22 gallons per hour planting and cover 37-39 acres an hour, not counting turning and fill time, so driving a little crooked isn’t a factor for fuel, just pride.

Just worked on a county tile that was installed in 1894, not great but still working, we intend to have at least a hundred year life out of what we put in.
    If you’re really loosing topsoil every year you can probably just dig down and cover up the wide cracks, except for the occasional broken tile. But at some point it becomes more economical to just replace with new.
    Ya. Guess I missed the joke, thought you were serious. Same thing here. My FIL after 20 some years still can’t back out of my driveway without going into the yard because we built the house angled to take advantage of the breeze, he’s been a row crop guy for over 80 yrs. 3rd. gen. My wife is the 4th. We just make fun of the guys with snake rows.

They should have plugged that old cement tile when they replaced it with the new, all that soil ends up in the open ditch then they have to dip it every few years, more tax dollars wasted. Alright no problem and no hard feelings just a misunderstanding. Take care.

Frosty

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jan 27, 2013
    Greencastle
    more tax dollars wasted
    They have to spend that annual budget on something! Now you wouldn’t want them to actually have a surplus and not need as much of your money next year would you??? Wouldn’t that be awful??? Think of the children man!!!

tmschuller

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Feb 25, 2013
    Grant county
    You don’t have quality winter gear? Some warm work Carharts? They are great work horses…
    I have a roof and a windshield.. when it’s cold it’s not a problem.. usually stripping down a few layers from being too hot! But that is just me... I’m comfortable when it’s cold or hot. I’ve worked outside most of my life and my new job I don’t. I hope it don’t get too soft!!:)

CindyE

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jul 19, 2011
    north/central IN
    Yep but they are still lined up next to the DUI scooters.
    The latest thing in our town is those little electric scooters that you stand up on. They rent by the hour. Supposed to be over 18, but I see younger kids on them all the time. Also see them outside bars. I'm afraid to ride one sober! Younger me probably would have gotten drunk and tried it...lol.

Timjoebillybob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 27, 2009
    You can absolutely get an OWI for operating any motorized vehicle while intoxicated.
    Close, there is an exception for "an electric personal assistive mobility device", which from the definition seems to be limited to hover boards/segways. It also doesn't have to be motorized, you can get a OWI on a bicycle or a horse drawn carriage. But not for riding a horse.

IC 9-13-2-196"Vehicle"
    (d) For purposes of IC 9-30-5, IC 9-30-6, IC 9-30-8, and IC 9-30-9, the term means a device for transportation by land or air. The term does not include an electric personal assistive mobility device.

IC 9-13-2-49.3"Electric personal assistive mobility device"
    Sec. 49.3. "Electric personal assistive mobility device" means a self-balancing, two (2) nontandem wheeled device that is designed to transport only one (1) person and that has the following:
    (1) An electric propulsion system with average power of seven hundred fifty (750) watts or one (1) horsepower.
    (2) A maximum speed of less than twenty (20) miles per hour when operated on a paved level surface, when powered solely by the propulsion system referred to in subdivision (1), and when operated by an operator weighing one hundred seventy (170) pounds.

2A-Hoosier23

ammo fiend
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Sep 16, 2018
    Lawrence

This gentleman with his self-driving horses can get a DUI, but someone driving "an electric personal assistive mobility device" can't? It's a cruel, cruel world

hopper68

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 15, 2011
    Pike County
    When I see an adult driving a nontraditional vehicle down the rode my first thought is how did they lose their license. Seen people driving ATVs, mopeds, farm tractors, and lawn mowers without the cutting deck. Meet a lot of them driving the gravel back roads so I seldom travel the back roads. Most golf carts I have seen are driven by kids around town or old guys at car shows. Side by sides are popular in parades hauling people or on farms.

Timjoebillybob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 27, 2009

This gentleman with his self-driving horses can get a DUI, but someone driving "an electric personal assistive mobility device" can't? It's a cruel, cruel world

Yep. IIRC there was a case similar to that in IN. And yes he tried using the defense that he wasn't operating it, the horse was. It didn't work.

And yeah, I can't see segways being exempt. When I saw it I thought they were talking about electric wheel chairs/hover rounds/etc until I read the definition. I did hear of one lady that got an owi on one of the scooters that stores have, she got on one in a Walmart. She got on one and picked up some booze off the shelf and was riding around drinking it in the store. They told her to leave and called the cops. Yes you can get an owi on private property, and possibly even inside a building. When the police arrived I don't remember if she was still in the store or in the parking lot. I can't find an article about it now but here are a couple of others.
    When I see an adult driving a nontraditional vehicle down the rode my first thought is how did they lose their license. Seen people driving ATVs, mopeds, farm tractors, and lawn mowers without the cutting deck. Meet a lot of them driving the gravel back roads so I seldom travel the back roads. Most golf carts I have seen are driven by kids around town or old guys at car shows. Side by sides are popular in parades hauling people or on farms.
    Hey I drive my mower on the road on a regular basis, and I have my DL. It's the easiest way to get from the front yard to the back. And I've been thinking of getting a scooter.

two70

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Feb 5, 2016
    Johnson
    Around Mitchell, I tend to see mostly elderly people driving their golf carts around town, to McDonalds, etc. Out in the county, it’s a mix riding their SxS’s. Most of the rural riders are at least polite enough to pull over and let the cars and trucks pass them. (Most of them).
    I'd much rather navigate around the SxS riders in the country than the local bike riding idiots. At least the SxS drivers seem to have a decent level of awareness and mostly realize that traffic rules still apply to them.

Lloyd S.

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 17, 2013
    Where I live we have golf carts and "side by sides" all over the place.

I think to myself..."not my thing but I suppose so, they aren't hurting anyone so whatever".

I got around to looking up the price on golf carts and side by sides and was completely floored.

Folks out there with deep pockets or lots of loans I suppose.

Golf carts are commonly 5k and side by sides 15k!

I've seen some side by sides kitted out for offroading which I'm sure is fun.

Strange phenomenon to me but I may be getting old and set in my ways. (You could buy a used truck with that money! :))
    OK, I'll bite. What is a "side-by-side"? Always thought it was a double-barreled shotgun, but that's obviously not what it means here.

DragonGunner

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 14, 2010
    N. Central IN
    I grew up in the 70’s on 3 wheelers, then in 90’s it was quads, I got 2 that I raced, they run back then around $5k and got double that in my race quad. In 2014 got SXS we take to MI and WV to ride trails. Then our county made them legal so don’t have to trailer to local trails. Got the stickers on a quad and SXS and run them on the road all the time legal. I got friends with $30k in their turbo SXS. What’s the fuss? Right now I’m cooking out at a creek that I drove my SXS to as I type this. Been a great solid machine.

Attachments

• 79B8DCB4-CD7F-4A66-BDC9-244C2EE72538.jpeg
      79B8DCB4-CD7F-4A66-BDC9-244C2EE72538.jpeg
      739.8 KB · Views: 6
    Top Bottom