What Oil Do You Cook With. It may affect your long term health. Good article from Zerohedge

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • printcraft

INGO Clown
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Feb 14, 2008
    Uranus
    This is exactly the sort of useful and topical information that keeps me coming back to INGO.

Does anyone know if you can get STP in French Vanilla?

56e027082f72604bbf0492ab0070aa3d.jpg

smokingman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Indiana
    The chemical extraction part of this is the use of hexane, a really volatile hydrocarbon solvent that gets recycled in the process.

I use canola oil as it performs well and gives me no stomach upset like soybean oil does. I like olive oil as well but it's a lot more expensive.
    Is a no go at our house. Erucic acid and the fact almost all canola oil tests higher than 2% when actually tested(the limit that is supposed to separate it from the toxic rapeseed oil it originally was developed from. 2.5%+ is consider a neurotoxic substance ), the problem is they rarely test it(not required to)and if they do they do not share batch results. Add to that hexane showing up at well over the legal limits in bottles purchased at stores by independent labs....nope. It is likely one of the most inflammatory items allowed in our food in the USA.

It is bad enough they stopped even trying to export it to the EU, which started to require testing for both eurcic acid and hexane. It is not banned, just required to pass testing.

I use olive, walnut(expeller), bacon fat, butter, tallow, and of course lard at our house, depending on the purpose. I have used peanut oil in the past, but like the flavour better of what I use now.

It is a big industry and loads of money are at stake turning a cover crop into food. I can no longer find the study from Berkeley that tested 6 brands purchased from stores that all had above the legal limits for both hexane and erucic acid. It exists somewhere though.

Last edited:

indyblue

Guns & Pool Shooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 13, 2013
    Indy Northside `O=o-
    Extra Virgin

It’s the very first (hence virgin) pressing of the olives.

Yeah, I don’t know what the extra is in extra virgin I didn’t make the term up.
    • Extra-virgin olive oil is made from the first cold pressing and contains the least amount of fatty acids (1%). It's the most fruity tasting and most expensive of the oils.

Last edited:

Ark

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Feb 18, 2017
    Indy
    Well, wouldn't you know it, some kind family member saw fit to gift me an air fryer for Christmas. :dunno:

Did some testing today to see about directly replacing some frequent menu items that I currently deep fry in vegetable oil on the stove. Results encouraging. It's a little slower than dunking in a hot deep fryer, but the breading is drier and more crispy.

Some more testing and perhaps a very large percentage of my seed oil consumption will be out of the picture.

smokingman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Indiana
    Well, wouldn't you know it, some kind family member saw fit to gift me an air fryer for Christmas. :dunno:

Did some testing today to see about directly replacing some frequent menu items that I currently deep fry in vegetable oil on the stove. Results encouraging. It's a little slower than dunking in a hot deep fryer, but the breading is drier and more crispy.

Some more testing and perhaps a very large percentage of my seed oil consumption will be out of the picture.
    I find my air fryer works well for many things. Homemade potato chips, breaded pork or chicken, and not so well with others. It destroys trout or breaded Walleye. Just dries them out to much or to long a period. Oh, and homemade fries do not turn out nearly as tasty as the ones dropped in the fryer(store purchased fries like frozen rally fries work well though). Hush puppies are 100% a no go in my air fryer, it simply does not cook all the way to the center without the outside turning into rock.

I do have one and enjoy it for the things it does well. Not getting rid of my fryer anytime soon though.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    I find my air fryer works well for many things. Homemade potato chips, breaded pork or chicken, and not so well with others. It destroys trout or breaded Walleye. Just dries them out to much or to long a period. Oh, and homemade fries do not turn out nearly as tasty as the ones dropped in the fryer(store purchased fries like frozen rally fries work well though). Hush puppies are 100% a no go in my air fryer, it simply does not cook all the way to the center without the outside turning into rock.

I do have one and enjoy it for the things it does well. Not getting rid of my fryer anytime soon though.

Avocado oil in a sprayer bottle is pretty handy for for the air fryer. As is drippings from the last fatty meat cooked in the fryer. Bacon, pork shoulder, beef, etc. all works great for fish and veggies.

No potatoes for me, but I do a lot of winter squash. Crappie fillets (IQF) come right out of the freezer, dredged in drippings and air fried. Seasonings vary according to what the drippings already had.

Ark

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Feb 18, 2017
    Indy

Been experimenting. It will replace a couple of my regular deep fry dinners. Takes longer than frying in oil. Easier to clean. I get better results with thinner breading, which is probably healthier anyway. Haven't tried fries yet but I can see how homemade wouldn't be the same without oil.

BackFromDC

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 19, 2023
    Jeffersonville
    Olive Oil, Butter, but recently more Tallow. Been rendering our own Tallow recently and it's been more cost effective that going to Costco and buying giant boxes of butter and tall bottles of olive oil.

Libertarian01

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 12, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    I'll use just about anything depending upon what I am cooking.

Eggs? Butter.

Frying something? Peanut oil.

Cooking corn bread? Bacon fat.

Etc.

Most of it depends upon what I am cooking and how hot I am cooking. My generic default is olive oil, not extra virgin olive oil. The smoke point for extra virgin olive oil is lower than regular olive oil. The problem can be that plain olive oil can be hard to find.

You know, we can worry and analyze every damn thing we eat, and the best science of TODAY will tell us the positives and negatives of such. But science isn't religion, it does modify based upon new data. Yes, coffee has caffeine and that is/was considered bad but now we know that coffee drinkers have a better chance with either Alzheimer's or dementia. What will we learn tomorrow?

We learned that butter was bad so everyone switched to margarine. Then we learned that margarine is far worse than butter so we went back to butter, which tastes better anyway.

I guess I've come to the point that I don't want to spend my life worrying about the little things. If someone has a serious problem then of course they should pay attention. But if not then just enjoy life and live it to the best. I hate to think of the poor chap that eats right, exercises daily, and dies at 32 being hit by a bus. Life's too short. Bourbon is good. Women look better the more bourbon you've had. 'Nuff said.

Regards and Happy New Year,

Doug

nate77

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Apr 15, 2009
    Bunker Hill
    Like many in here, Olive, Avacado, coconut, butter, lard, and of course bacon grease.

If something just has to be deep fried, like hot wings, peanut oil. I’ve tried the air fryer, it just isn’t the same.

Top Bottom