What Oil Do You Cook With. It may affect your long term health. Good article from Zerohedge

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    I use lard, bacon drippings, other drippings rendered from whatever meat was last cooked.

Avocado oil is my only go to cooking oil, other than animal fats and butter. I do keep olive oil to save a little money, when making mayo.

Oh, and coconut oil to go with the butter, in the bulletproof coffee.

I gave up on seed oils and anything they get used in going on five years ago. You really have to be mindful of prepared foods, as a lot of them have the bad oils as an ingredient.

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    The chemical extraction part of this is the use of hexane, a really volatile hydrocarbon solvent that gets recycled in the process.

You can heat most any plant oil with the right catalyst to increase it's saturation, but that isn't done for everything.

I use canola oil as it performs well and gives me no stomach upset like soybean oil does. I like olive oil as well but it's a lot more expensive.

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    Olive or coconut oil for cooking and baking. Peanut oil for frying. Have not used anything else in over 20 years

I tried peanut oil, it gave me quicker results as I could deep fry at higher temps. It gave both the gardener and me that "fried food" after effect so we went back to canola and cooked longer at a lower temperature.

KokomoDave

Enigma Suspect
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    76   0   0
    Oct 20, 2008
    Kokomo
    EVOO strictly for cooking but coconut oil is used by my old lady to make her brownies. We don't deep fry very often except when I'm frying chicken then that is lard.

Mij

Permaplinker (thanks to Expat)
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 22, 2022
    In the corn and beans
    Don’t care, as long as it doesn’t make my food taste bad.

I do use bacon grease a lot. But I’m not a chef either.

I like that stuff in a spray can.

31ST MEUSOC

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 27, 2023
    PA
    I was raised on a farm in Massachusetts when I was growing up we usually just cooked down pig fat and made lard I still make it to this day. Good thing is it's actually good for you healthier than cooking with butter you can also put food in a jar pour lard in to encapsulate the meat to preserve it.

tim87tr

Freedom lover
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    Eastern IL
    Yes seed oils are bad for your health as stated in the article. They are a main ingredient in making cheap processed foods you see in boxes and eat at many restaurants, especially fast food.

45sRfun

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I only use full synthetic 5w30 its healthier for my arteries
    Yes, better than a straight weight oil because the polymer chains function like fiber in your diet. If you want even more help in that area try an 0w40. And non-synthetic has more polymer chains. Oh, but if all you want is the polymer chains, just get s bottle of the STP oil treatment. Its loaded with them.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    Yes, better than a straight weight oil because the polymer chains function like fiber in your diet. If you want even more help in that area try an 0w40. And non-synthetic has more polymer chains. Oh, but if all you want is the polymer chains, just get s bottle of the STP oil treatment. Its loaded with them.

This is exactly the sort of useful and topical information that keeps me coming back to INGO.

Does anyone know if you can get STP in French Vanilla?

Top Bottom