Not open for further replies.

chipbennett

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 18, 2014
    Avon
    That graphic said "of all crimes." Clearly that isn't factual. I asked for a source from where Q got that graphic, but so far, he has failed to provide that information. I'm betting the site it came from would be, um "interesting."
    And what one does with that information depends on one's ultimate end goal. The reality is that blacks commit violent crimes at a rate far higher than whites - the end result being that black people are the victims of violent crimes at a rate far higher than whites.

IMHO, this is a correlation is not causation matter with respect to the former. I'd rather focus on the latter, so that fewer innocent people are victimized through violent crime, regardless of skin color.

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Only if you let yourself.
    I think most of you are smarter than that.....:)
    You'd think. I'm civil, and you know that, until someone wants to go off the rails...
    And as far as his assertion:

:dunno:

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    And what one does with that information depends on one's ultimate end goal. The reality is that blacks commit violent crimes at a rate far higher than whites - the end result being that black people are the victims of violent crimes at a rate far higher than whites.

IMHO, this is a correlation is not causation matter with respect to the former. I'd rather focus on the latter, so that fewer innocent people are victimized through violent crime, regardless of skin color.
    C'mon Chip.... That graphic said nothing about violent crime. Again it said "all crimes." It's false, and obviously so. So obvious, not most people with just a basic understanding of statistics would dismiss it out of hand.

chipbennett

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 18, 2014
    Avon
    C'mon Chip.... That graphic said nothing about violent crime. Again it said "all crimes." It's false, and obviously so. So obvious, not most people with just a basic understanding of statistics would dismiss it out of hand.
    I don't have any real interest in arguing for or against the graphic; that seems to me to be a distraction. (I've not looked at the all-crime numbers in a very long time, anyway.)

Did it make a relevant point, though? Yes it did - and a point that aligns with my primary issue with BLM. The movement chooses to focus on the (on average) 10 unarmed black people per year killed by police, while ignoring the tens of thousands of black people killed (primarily - some 90 - 95%) by other black people.

What will really improve black lives: focusing on the former, or the latter? Police aren't the root cause of the problem of black lives being taken.

nonobaddog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 10, 2015
    Tropical Minnesota
    Why would it even matter if one person committed three crimes or three people committed one crime?
    That whole concept is just a distraction and it doesn't scale well. There are always going to be a bunch of people that commit one crime and a bunch of people that commit two crimes and a bunch of people that commit three crimes, etc., etc., ad nauseam.

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Why would it even matter if one person committed three crimes or three people committed one crime?
    That whole concept is just a distraction and it doesn't scale well. There are always going to be a bunch of people that commit one crime and a bunch of people that commit two crimes and a bunch of people that commit three crimes, etc., etc., ad nauseam.
    If you can't discern the difference, this conversation is beyond you.

IndyDave1776

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    If you can't discern the difference, this conversation is beyond you.
    The difference is obvious. None of this killing is acceptable, both forms need stopped, but the usual suspects screaming up lungs care only about the easily politicised examples, not the majority of killings. People screaming up their lungs about black lives don't give 3/16 of a flying **** about the majority of black lives prematurely ended. Do you not see a problem here?

I will add that I have little to no tolerance for police malfeasance but do not accept it being politically weaponized especially with large infusions of fiction like in Ferguson.

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Well, it is beyond somebody.
    More than a few unfortunately. There are plenty of times when I actually think I'm being trolled because some folks don't understand things that seem so clear and basic (and that's not just this conversation), but I've come to realize there are more than a few people that simply don't "get it."

Last edited:

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    The difference is obvious. None of this killing is acceptable, both forms need stopped, but the usual suspects screaming up lungs care only about the easily politicised examples, not the majority of killings. People screaming up their lungs about black lives don't give 3/16 of a flying **** about the majority of black lives prematurely ended. Do you not see a problem here?

I will add that I have little to no tolerance for police malfeasance but do not accept it being politically weaponized especially with large infusions of fiction like in Ferguson.
    Well it is incorrect to believe that the "majority of killings," aren't cared about. In fact protests concerning Black on Black violence are exponentially more common that BLM rallies. The problem isn't people not caring... at least not those people who are victims. Its a problem of what the media finds newsworthy.

IndyDave1776

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    Well it is incorrect to believe that the "majority of killings," aren't cared about. In fact protests concerning Black on Black violence are exponentially more common that BLM rallies. The problem isn't people not caring... at least not those people who are victims. Its a problem of what the media finds newsworthy.
    OK, so the leftists who are supposed to be the saviors of everyone darker than beige don't care about these same people getting killed if they don't get political mileage out of it? Thanks for clarifying your side's views.

IndyBeerman

Was a real life Beerman.....
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jun 2, 2008
    Plainfield
    Here's a novel concept.

10 people commit a crime, does it matter if each one committed a separate crime in a different way, or if all 10 committed the crime together?

It doesn't matter, the fact is 10 people committed a crime.

That number can not be skewed or contorted.

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    OK, so the leftists who are supposed to be the saviors of everyone darker than beige don't care about these same people getting killed if they don't get political mileage out of it? Thanks for clarifying your side's views.
    It’s the same for the right wing media outlets, but I imagine that isn’t so clear to you.

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Here's a novel concept.

10 people commit a crime, does it matter if each one committed a separate crime in a different way, or if all 10 committed the crime together?

It doesn't matter, the fact is 10 people committed a crime.

That number can not be skewed or contorted.
    IB, I agree, but that notion isn’t part of this discussion. If you care, read my original breakdown.

IndyDave1776

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    It’s the same for the right wing media outlets, but I imagine that isn’t so clear to you.
    You may not hear about it as the top item every day as if nothing else is happening in the universe but it does come up as opposed to the usual media suspects who never say a word.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom