U.S Indiana Senator Todd Young will be in Plainfield Tuesday June 28 and is interested in hearing from you.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • KellyinAvon

Blue-ID Mafia Consigliere
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 22, 2012
    Avon
    Is anyone driving down from the (West) Lafayette area?

If so, can I ride along? Car is getting up there in miles and I need it to last another 6 months.
    Hope to see you down Hendricks County way tomorrow. Should be less hostile than the last group, the first time we met.

1nderbeard

Master
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Apr 3, 2017
    Hendricks County
    Well a friend took me up on a lunch offer for tomorrow that I kinda forgot about so I won't be able to be there....I'll look back for updates.
    Can't say I was super excited to go, but still wanted to for the spectacle of it. I hope you all find a way to express how upset we all are in whatever could be considered a constructive way.
    My main question is:

How does Mr Young think that Conservatives won't be labeled "extremists" and subject to red flag laws, if concerned parents at school board meetings are called domestic terrorists?

KellyinAvon

Blue-ID Mafia Consigliere
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 22, 2012
    Avon
    Well a friend took me up on a lunch offer for tomorrow that I kinda forgot about so I won't be able to be there....I'll look back for updates.
    Can't say I was super excited to go, but still wanted to for the spectacle of it. I hope you all find a way to express how upset we all are in whatever could be considered a constructive way.
    My main question is:

How does Mr Young think that Conservatives won't be labeled "extremists" and subject to red flag laws, if concerned parents at school board meetings are called domestic terrorists?
    That is one of the points on my crib sheet.

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County

Tell Todd we don't appreciate this one bit.

The fifteen Senate Republicans who voted for the bill included Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell (Ky.)
    Roy Blunt (Mo.)
    Richard Burr (N.C.)
    Shelley Moore Capito (W.Va.)
    Bill Cassidy (La.)
    Susan Collins (Maine)
    John Cornyn (Texas)
    Joni Ernst (Iowa)
    Lindsey Graham (S.C.)
    Lisa Murkowski (Alaska)
    Rob Portman (Ohio)
    Mitt Romney (Utah)
    Thom Tillis (N.C.)
    Pat Toomey (Pa.)
    Todd Young (Ind.)

Ark

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 18, 2017
    Indy
    Thank you for contacting me regarding gun violence, mental health, and the Second Amendment. I appreciate hearing from you on this important issue.

As your Senator, I respect that Hoosiers have strong and diverse feelings on how to prevent violent crime while upholding the Second Amendment rights of law-abiding Americans. I know we all share a common desire to prevent acts of gun violence, and I have deep empathy and sympathy for those affected by tragic shootings across our country. That’s why I have previously supported measures to increase school safety, improve mental health services, provide commonsense fixes to criminal background checks, and increase penalties for illegal possession of firearms.

To address these significant challenges, on June 24, 2022, I voted to pass S. 2938, the Bipartisan Safer Communities Act, a bill supported by the Fraternal Order of Police and other law enforcement groups. The bill subsequently passed the House and was signed into law on June 25, 2022.

As I reviewed this proposal, I consulted with law enforcement officials, gun owners, Second Amendment experts, educators, and mental health professionals. After careful consideration, I supported this targeted legislation because it takes prudent steps to address our mental health crisis and combat violent crime without compromising the Second Amendment rights of law-abiding Hoosiers. Unless you have been convicted of a violent crime or adjudicated as mentally ill, your Second Amendment rights will not be affected in any way. It contains no new restrictions, bans, required waiting periods, or mandates for law-abiding citizens of any age.

The centerpiece of this legislation is a major step to address our country’s mental health crisis, including the largest investment in community-based mental health care in our nation’s history. In addition to providing robust funding for federal mental health treatment and suicide prevention programs, this bill will also help states expand access to care by integrating telehealth services into their Medicaid and Children’s Health Insurance Program (CHIP) programs. It will not be an overnight fix, but the investments made in mental health care by this bill will be transformational. Critically, this legislation will better ensure all children and teachers have the safe and welcoming environment they deserve by providing extensive resources for enhanced school safety, school hardening, and school-based mental health services, including through the Students, Teachers, and Officers Preventing (STOP) School Violence program. This program was created by a bill I helped introduce in 2018 that was signed into law by then-President Trump.

The legislation takes steps to keep firearms out of the hands of those adjudicated as mentally ill or with recent histories of criminal violence. It requires that certain juvenile records be included in a background check for prospective purchasers of firearms between the ages of 18 and 21 years old, while requiring that the Federal Bureau of Investigation, which operates the National Instant Criminal Background Check System (NICS), finalize this screening as quickly as possible. Additionally, the bill will address illicit gun sales by requiring highly active, unlicensed firearm dealers to register for a Federal Firearms License, and it creates a criminal penalty for those who knowingly purchase a firearm on behalf of someone legally prohibited from possessing one, also known as a straw purchase. For straw purchases supporting the activities of gangs, criminal cartels, and terrorists, the bill mandates longer sentences. This is an important and necessary step to reduce gun violence in America’s cities and on both sides of the U.S. border with Mexico.

Additionally, S. 2938 makes a significant investment in crisis intervention programs, specifically $750 million over five years. Funds could be used by states to implement existing or new red flag laws, like Indiana’s Jake Laird Law, named after an Indianapolis police officer killed in the line of duty by a mentally ill person in 2004. Red flag laws provide law enforcement officers the authority to seize the firearms of a person who presents an imminent danger to themselves or others if a court agrees that sufficient evidence exists. These funds also will be available for states that choose to utilize other forms of crisis intervention, such as veterans’ courts, drug courts, mental health courts, or assistant outpatient treatment courts. For states that pursue a red flag law, this bill requires that they follow stringent due process protections to safeguard the constitutional rights of the accused. The bill does not mandate that states implement red flag laws, and it does not create a national red flag law.

This legislation also addresses situations in which long-standing dating or intimate partners commit domestic violence against their partner and are charged with a misdemeanor. This bill would ensure that those convicted are unable to purchase or possess a firearm for at least five years, similar to current law treatment for spouses, parents or guardians, and individuals who live together. After five years, if the individual has not committed another violent crime, the individual’s rights are automatically restored. This legislation creates clear guidelines, which are actually narrower than what is currently state law in Indiana, for how judges classify these relationships.

We do not have to choose between protecting Second Amendment rights and creating safer schools and communities by keeping guns away from those who might be a danger to themselves or others. We can and should do both. This legislation, supported by numerous law enforcement groups, will save lives without affecting the rights of law-abiding Americans.

In addition to enacting S. 2938, we should continue to look for more ways to address school safety, improve mental health, and reduce violent crimes. I’ve sponsored or cosponsored bills to allow unused COVID relief funds to be used to harden schools, increase penalties for felons who illegally possess or use firearms, and address the shortage of mental health providers in schools.

Again, thank you for contacting me. It is an honor to represent you in the United States Senate.

I'm sure some of you got this trash response today. What a weasel.

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County
    Dear Mr. Smith,

Thank you for contacting me regarding gun violence, mental health, and the Second Amendment. I appreciate hearing from you on this important issue.

As your Senator, I respect that Hoosiers have strong and diverse feelings on how to prevent violent crime while upholding the Second Amendment rights of law-abiding Americans. I know we all share a common desire to prevent acts of gun violence, and I have deep empathy and sympathy for those affected by tragic shootings across our country. That’s why I have previously supported measures to increase school safety, improve mental health services, provide commonsense fixes to criminal background checks, and increase penalties for illegal possession of firearms.

To address these significant challenges, on June 24, 2022, I voted to pass S. 2938, the Bipartisan Safer Communities Act, a bill supported by the Fraternal Order of Police and other law enforcement groups. The bill subsequently passed the House and was signed into law on June 25, 2022.

As I reviewed this proposal, I consulted with law enforcement officials, gun owners, Second Amendment experts, educators, and mental health professionals. After careful consideration, I supported this targeted legislation because it takes prudent steps to address our mental health crisis and combat violent crime without compromising the Second Amendment rights of law-abiding Hoosiers. Unless you have been convicted of a violent crime or adjudicated as mentally ill, your Second Amendment rights will not be affected in any way. It contains no new restrictions, bans, required waiting periods, or mandates for law-abiding citizens of any age.

The centerpiece of this legislation is a major step to address our country’s mental health crisis, including the largest investment in community-based mental health care in our nation’s history. In addition to providing robust funding for federal mental health treatment and suicide prevention programs, this bill will also help states expand access to care by integrating telehealth services into their Medicaid and Children’s Health Insurance Program (CHIP) programs. It will not be an overnight fix, but the investments made in mental health care by this bill will be transformational. Critically, this legislation will better ensure all children and teachers have the safe and welcoming environment they deserve by providing extensive resources for enhanced school safety, school hardening, and school-based mental health services, including through the Students, Teachers, and Officers Preventing (STOP) School Violence program. This program was created by a bill I helped introduce in 2018 that was signed into law by then-President Trump.

The legislation takes steps to keep firearms out of the hands of those adjudicated as mentally ill or with recent histories of criminal violence. It requires that certain juvenile records be included in a background check for prospective purchasers of firearms between the ages of 18 and 21 years old, while requiring that the Federal Bureau of Investigation, which operates the National Instant Criminal Background Check System (NICS), finalize this screening as quickly as possible. Additionally, the bill will address illicit gun sales by requiring highly active, unlicensed firearm dealers to register for a Federal Firearms License, and it creates a criminal penalty for those who knowingly purchase a firearm on behalf of someone legally prohibited from possessing one, also known as a straw purchase. For straw purchases supporting the activities of gangs, criminal cartels, and terrorists, the bill mandates longer sentences. This is an important and necessary step to reduce gun violence in America’s cities and on both sides of the U.S. border with Mexico.

Additionally, S. 2938 makes a significant investment in crisis intervention programs, specifically $750 million over five years. Funds could be used by states to implement existing or new red flag laws, like Indiana’s Jake Laird Law, named after an Indianapolis police officer killed in the line of duty by a mentally ill person in 2004. Red flag laws provide law enforcement officers the authority to seize the firearms of a person who presents an imminent danger to themselves or others if a court agrees that sufficient evidence exists. These funds also will be available for states that choose to utilize other forms of crisis intervention, such as veterans’ courts, drug courts, mental health courts, or assistant outpatient treatment courts. For states that pursue a red flag law, this bill requires that they follow stringent due process protections to safeguard the constitutional rights of the accused. The bill does not mandate that states implement red flag laws, and it does not create a national red flag law.

This legislation also addresses situations in which long-standing dating or intimate partners commit domestic violence against their partner and are charged with a misdemeanor. This bill would ensure that those convicted are unable to purchase or possess a firearm for at least five years, similar to current law treatment for spouses, parents or guardians, and individuals who live together. After five years, if the individual has not committed another violent crime, the individual’s rights are automatically restored. This legislation creates clear guidelines, which are actually narrower than what is currently state law in Indiana, for how judges classify these relationships.

We do not have to choose between protecting Second Amendment rights and creating safer schools and communities by keeping guns away from those who might be a danger to themselves or others. We can and should do both. This legislation, supported by numerous law enforcement groups, will save lives without affecting the rights of law-abiding Americans.

In addition to enacting S. 2938, we should continue to look for more ways to address school safety, improve mental health, and reduce violent crimes. I’ve sponsored or cosponsored bills to allow unused COVID relief funds to be used to harden schools, increase penalties for felons who illegally possess or use firearms, and address the shortage of mental health providers in schools.

Again, thank you for contacting me. It is an honor to represent you in the United States Senate.

Sincerely,

Todd Young
    United States Senator

My response from Senator Todd Young.

biggggg

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 6, 2011
    FISHERS
    So far I have never got any feed back from Todd Young.

----- Forwarded Message -----
    To: "plunkett.david@rocketmail.com" <plunkett.david@rocketmail.com>
    Sent: Monday, June 27, 2022, 07:38:59 PM EDT
    Subject: A Response to Your Inquiry

Dear Mr. Plunkett,

Sincerely,
    mail

Todd Young
    United States Senator

JEBland

INGO's least subtle Alphabet agency taskforce spy
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Oct 24, 2020
    South of you
    The legislation takes steps to keep firearms out of the hands of those adjudicated as mentally ill or with recent histories of criminal violence. It requires that certain juvenile records be included in a background check for prospective purchasers of firearms between the ages of 18 and 21 years old, while requiring that the Federal Bureau of Investigation, which operates the National Instant Criminal Background Check System (NICS), finalize this screening as quickly as possible. Additionally, the bill will address illicit gun sales by requiring highly active, unlicensed firearm dealers to register for a Federal Firearms License, and it creates a criminal penalty for those who knowingly purchase a firearm on behalf of someone legally prohibited from possessing one, also known as a straw purchase.
    Wow. His phrasing of the gun dealer section is much worse than my initial reading. For the bolded part, since when was that not already a crime?

This is a good thing for us, right? Automatic restoration? Or is this just for the "boyfriends" and not the spouses, etc?

I want him to affect my rights by removing muzzle mufflers and rifles with 15" barrels from the NFA.

biggggg

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 6, 2011
    FISHERS
    I sent the Senator a message on his web site. Asked him why he betrayed Hoosier gun owners. As a 2 tour Iraq veteran, I told him I was very disappointed in his vote, and to explain his reasons for representing Democrats instead of us gun owners.

Waiting for his reply, and will post it here. blessings

Dear Mr. Plunkett,

Sincerely,
    mail

Todd Young
    United States Senator

Jaybird1980

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 22, 2016
    North Central
    Wow. His phrasing of the gun dealer section is much worse than my initial reading. For the bolded part, since when was that not already a crime?

This is a good thing for us, right? Automatic restoration? Or is this just for the "boyfriends" and not the spouses, etc?

I want him to affect my rights by removing muzzle mufflers and rifles with 15" barrels from the NFA.
    I don't read it as a good thing. I haven't gotten a chance to look at the actual bill, but this wording is concerning

This legislation also addresses situations in which long-standing dating or intimate partners commit domestic violence against their partner and are charged with a misdemeanor.

Charged not convicted.

hamiltonrrwatch

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2021
    N.W. IN

Dear Mr. Plunkett,

Sincerely,
    mail

Todd Young
    United States Senator
    I received the identical response today.

Young is a congenital idiot from Pennsylvania who happens to be a RINO. My take-away from a meet-and-greet 2 years ago? An unrequited love for the sound of his own voice. When he's up for reelection, I will throw my full and complete support to his opponent, and this New-Delhi-Tire-Fire of a bill he attached himself to.

JEBland

INGO's least subtle Alphabet agency taskforce spy
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Oct 24, 2020
    South of you
    I don't read it as a good thing. I haven't gotten a chance to look at the actual bill, but this wording is concerning

This legislation also addresses situations in which long-standing dating or intimate partners commit domestic violence against their partner and are charged with a misdemeanor.

Charged not convicted.
    Oh. That's very bad.

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County
    I'd like to know how many people sent him email, letters, and called him and told him not to sign that bill.
    Young must be removed from office at the next opportunity.
    He doesn't represent Indiana and he pretty much stated so with his opening in his email back to me.

Edit:

As your Senator, I respect that Hoosiers have strong and diverse feelings on how to prevent violent crime while upholding the Second Amendment rights of law-abiding Americans.

Then instead of all the dribble he added he should have put this instead.

But I really don't care what you think I'm going to do what I want.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom