• Status
    Not open for further replies.

Ortgies

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 14, 2022
    7597 W. C.R, 800 N.
    Gotta think he’ll be too old, but he’s a hell of lot sharper and robust than Uncle Sniffy.
    I was thinking more Elmer Fudd, but close enough. Here's the thing (of many); Those in power today will destroy our right to keep and bear arms. Trump or DeSantis will save it for now.

Not sure if I'm in the right place; Anybody have info on Ortgies .32 semi auto? Dad was a tank commander under Patton, and brought one back many moons ago.

Merry Christman, all.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    Not that I would ever want to derail a thread…but that is a fascinating thing to me, why the Jewish in general support D’s so strongly. It just makes no sense, at least as an outsider looking in, just another rube in flyover country…
    Completely different worldview. That’s really the difference.

Twangbanger

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Oct 9, 2010
    They've won all of their wars

That alone torpedos the 'Ukraine of the Right' canard, 4 fish below the waterline
    All that proves is American Christian Warhawk Evangelicals have historically done a more effective job of supporting their chosen object of infatuation, than liberals do. Not that it isn't an infatuation to begin with. (Which was my point...but you knew that).

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    IDK, but I asked that very question of a seeming knowledgeable political historian and his answer simplified was, they fear evangelical Christians more than muslims…
    Is that answer really so surprising to you?

When they say Evangelical Christians, I think they’re referring to Zionism. So I think they temd to be at odds with conservative Jews as they tend to be more zionist. And obviously they hear the rhetoric from evangelical theologians, which is overtly zionist. I don’t know if it’s as much about the fiat nation, to TB’s point, which the founding of such is zionist at its foundation. But I think it’s more about the zionism pe se than just the current nation of Israel’s artificial founding.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 23, 2022
    Indianapolis
    Trump is the best option for 2024. I have little interest in endless culture war stunts, and grandstanding like we see from DeSantis.

Besides, he's in the grip of the establishment Republican donor class. It's fascinating to me that so many mainstream journos have been trying to hype DeSantis over Trump when he has no chance of winning the general.

Trump utterly TERRIFIES not only the stupid, ****-eating vermin on the left, but also the Establishment GOP assholes who are utterly beholden to their corporate donors. Clearly, he is the best choice.

LeftyGunner

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 10, 2022
    Indianapolis
    It's no different than Christians who fear nonbelievers more than Muslims.

It's not hard for me to understand that some Jews don't care that much about Israel. Although I'm not Jewish, I suspect many people of that faith just don't feel a strong attachment to a set of political borders established by UN fiat. And that's what people are talking about, when they say "supporting Israel." They aren't talking about the ancient holy sites. That's something different, so don't sell me that. They're talking about Democrat vs. Republican and Congressional votes and such. The bordered political entity of Israel. The part created by fiat by a world political body. Support for that political entity is what Democrats and Republicans vote about in Congress. Not the ancient holy sites, because American politicians have no control over that part. But they do have control over how many weapons we sell them.

That fiat-fabricated political entity is the part some Jews don't care that much about. Deal with it. Their views are not required to make sense to you. They see the holy sites as entirely separable from a fiat-created political entity. The fact that doesn't "make sense" to binary-minded American Christians is mildly interesting but irrelevant.

This is a really good post, you have a solid grasp of how my mom’s side looks at Israel.

After the war my grandfather wanted to get as far away from Europe as possible, so he came to the US, but he was huge supporter of Israel in the years following the war…then the six day war happened.

My mom’s dad bought into the idea of a safe haven for all Jews, run as a beacon of liberty for all believers in the God of Isaac and Abraham…including those of Christian and Islamic disciplines. He bought Israel bonds for all the grandkids, he made sure we all went to school and learned to read and speak Hebrew, he took us to Israel every other summer for years.

The political reality of modern Israel bears little resemblance to ideal of Israel he held in his heart.

There’s a difference between Israel and the Holy Land, and it’s something you can feel. Jerusalem is an amazing place…the air tastes different there. There is an urgent and earnest feeling there that I have never felt anywhere else…and I don’t think it’s just because of my religion. Jerusalem is unique in human culture…there’s something primal and magnetic to it. Words don’t do it Justice…go there if you ever have the opportunity.

But then also go to Tel Aviv, and then also maybe go see the occupied territories for yourself.

It’s hard to reconcile the ideal of Israel with the suffering and anger present in Gaza or the West Bank. My grandpa never asked for that…it reminded him of the things he witnessed in Nazi-occupied Europe…he wanted a place we could share in Gods grace, regardless of our personal or cultural baggage…not a place we lob rockets at each other.

Anyway…spot on post. You have good instincts in this area.

KG1

Forgotten Man
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    How is trolling people beneficial for Trump? Maybe its beneficial to keep his base fired up. They get a kick out of it.

ditcherman

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 18, 2018
    In the country, hopefully.
    I can’t say for sure, my dad didn‘t see eye-to-eye with his family, and left NYC as a teenager. I got to know his family in group settings, and never really spoke with them one-on-one in-depth about politics...as far as I know they are Democrats because that’s what they have always been.

I grew up with my moms side of the family, who settled near Buffalo. They were anything but wealthy. They were life-long union, and life-long democrat.

And please…I am not calling you or anyone else here a rube, I choose to live in Indiana, and I love it here.

Edit to add:

I, myself, have no such allegiance to the democrats. My first election was 1992, and I couldn’t wait to vote for President Bush’s second term.

I voted R in 1996, and again in 2000.

I couldn’t bring myself to vote for either candidate in 2004.

I voted for Obama twice, but was really ready to move on from his style of governance in 2016…but Hillary.

When the Rs ran Trump in 2016 I had to bow out…I couldn’t pull the lever for him or Clinton, but after Trump actually won I made sure to hold my nose and vote D for the big job in 2020, but went almost straight red down ticket.

It wasn’t until Jan 6 that I pulled all my support from the Rs, and they won’t have a shot at getting it back till they dump Trump.
    Sorry just getting back to this, thank you for the insight. There’s a lot of one liners lobed around, around here, and it’s interesting to hear a little more in-depth.

It’s seems you’re not as far left at least in a general election sense as what could be surmised from some of the one liners.
    The fact that for you it all hinges on J6 is pretty fascinating to me. There’s so much we just can’t know that I would hesitate to make a judgment based on that. But that’s a different thread for sure.

We are definitely products of our surroundings.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    Trolling people with TDS while simultaneously raising campaign funds was savvy.
    That’s one way to spin it. It looks more like he’s bilking fans for cash. But making everyone else laugh at him. I think it’s ****ing hilarious.

I mean seriously, how is this savvy? He could sell anything to his fans. He could make a cast of his junk and also sell that out in hours.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom