• Status
    Not open for further replies.

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    Will China Joe Biden impose a mask mandate??
    The US president doesn't have that power and that's a good thing.

He could try to explain why people should wear masks and get experts involved (not politicians).

As a leader is easy to force people do do things, make things mandatory.

It's harder to educate people and to let them decide by themselves.

So far every US politician has made a poor job of not bringing politics into what should only be a public health debate.

One side will tell you masks don't work and that could even kill you.
    It's not true.

One one side will tell you masks are magic and work 100% of the time.
    It's not true either.

People just need to be nice with eachother, not attack people because they decided to wear a mask, or not not wear one.

But hey that's obviously asking too much.

cz75b

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 10, 2018
    Michigan City
    Yes, wear one when around others I don’t live with. It’s so easy. Hard to understand the why not? Plus I can yawn, smile and stick out my tongue and make funny faces to anyone.

nonobaddog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 10, 2015
    Tropical Minnesota
    Don't they already have mandate in some states? And they can't be enforced.

People shouldn't do stuff because it's mandatory but because they understand why they should do it.

Like seatbelts in cars.

I was actually referring to making it a mandate that people "be nice with eachother" like it says in the post I was replying to and quoted.
    I didn't really think I needed purple for that but I could be wrong.

SheepDog4Life

Natural Gray Man
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    May 14, 2016
    SW IN
    So to sum this up...

In some unknown county on an unknown date but two or more months ago; which would put it around here on the steepest rise of cases:
    View attachment 119294

A person who is all horny about mask-wearing attended a reception with 90-100 people where there was drinking and dancing along with a DJ, so obviously people would be fiddling and removing masks all evening as they were drinking and sucking face but super-cautious mask man chose to attend despite the dramatic rise in state-wide cases.

Miraculously, the DJ was pre-symptomatic and infected 6 people who "lost" their masks and briefly interacted with the DJ when requesting their favorite hits as they boogied on the dance floor but those were the only ones to get Covid because obviously DJ's are super-spreaders and there is no other logical reason. No other details will be provided out of fear of "doxing" but it seems like......

View attachment 119296

As far as seatbelts and airbags, I don't recall mentioning or debating them, but lets go...

Seatbelts were not required in automobiles until 1968, 60 years after the Model T was made available. There was plenty of data available to justify the decision to include them. Seatbelts were not required to be worn in Indiana until 1987. With the additional 19 years of traffic fatality and injury data now totaling 79 years, it was a decision made supported by facts and calculatable, measurable data.

Mask data regarding Covid is like nailing Jello to the wall. There is no area where it seems to be successful, nor was it even supported by scientists, including your fuhrer, Dr. Fauci, and CDC who said you do not need to wear a mask, then said you do because you are killing everyone else when you don't.....Fauci must hate these folks:
    View attachment 119297 View attachment 119298

Folks that are diligently submitting and wearing their mask (even when alone in the car) still seem to get it. Spouses that sleep in the same bed as someone that is positive seem to not get it. People requesting a song seem to get it, but spending hours together in a vehicle don't...... Maybe we should all be wearing seatbelts and carrying airbags when in public rather than masks.....
    Horny? WTF, man, masks do nothing for my libido either way... you should really talk to a trained professional about your feelings on this. :)

I find it interesting that since I categorize masks as akin to seatbelts and motorcycle helmets that you ANTI's caricature that as I (and others) must be hiding in a bunker somewhere quivering in fear. Lol!

It's further laughable that your straw man is that I would SKIP MY OWN SON'S WEDDING based upon your misstating of my position. And, no, even if I gave the date/time/location/names, you would still be facetious about it... and I've been on forums for a long time... I don't give out those kinds of details.

"Lost" their masks was a euphemism for they took them off and left them off late in the evening when the drink flowed. Heck, I even put it in quotes... did it need purple as well?

And, I'm no fan of Fauci... if you read any of my other posts on the subject, INCLUDING posts advocating masks back in March/April, so Fauci is no hero of mine let alone "my fuhrer" (you really should talk to someone about your projectioning) but what'evs.

And regarding seatbelts, there was RESEARCH indicating that seatbelt would/should be effective in lowering fatalities prior to 1968, but I don't see that there was "evidence"... in fact, much like masks, there was considerable opposition that they would CAUSE internal injuries and trap people in submerged vehicles... it took ~20 years for that evidence... I take it that means you'll consider maybe wearing a mask in 2041? When there's 20 years of evidence?

SheepDog4Life

Natural Gray Man
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    May 14, 2016
    SW IN
    Or how many people were requesting songs and at what interval? Could it just be the area around the DJ was repeatedly contaminated by others?
    Couldn't tell you an exact count other than 4 of the 6 at my table requested songs, including me, masked. Pretty much all the over-30's wore masks anytime they were up from their tables. The 20-somethings shed their masks.

There were 7 cases from that night, all symptomatic. One, the DJ, first showed symptoms the next night. The six others, who interacted with him unmasked, 5-6 days later. Of the people on my side (the ones I know), the majority quarantined and tested negative. I hear the other "side" did likewise.

Do you have to wear your seatbelt in order for someone elses to work? What is the mask equivalent of an airbag?
    Do seatbelts work?

The reason it's so hard for you Anti's to answer is because the answer is yes, mostly, often enough and effectively enough to be wise to wear, especially when cost/benefit is analyzed. But, they do fail to protect some wearers, they don't make the car deathproof.

IMO, ditto masks.
    You forgot that the only possible reason for the virus still spreading is some people will not comply. That masking itself might be insufficient to contain the spread is never to be considered

Hmmm... another straw man, so I'll flat out say it... masking alone will not stop the spread in the community. It ain't a magic shield. Masking does reduce the RATE of spread, especially when the virus is prevalent in a community or region.

As has been said many, many times, distancing is more important.

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    I wear a mask if I am expect to be within six feet of people I do not know. Wearing a mask does not limit my ability to shop, travel or visit with people. I don't agree that wearing a mask infringes on my freedom. Wearing a mask increases my freedom of movement.
    I even took a nap at church (it was the second service, so I already heard it) with my mask on.

I didn't die or suffocate.

printcraft

INGO Clown
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Feb 14, 2008
    Uranus
    WINNING!!!
    hoosierhawkeye said:
    I wear a mask if I am expect to be within six feet of people I do not know. Wearing a mask does not limit my ability to shop, travel or visit with people. I don't agree that wearing a mask infringes on my freedom. Wearing a mask increases my freedom of movement.

Well that's one way of looking at it. Wearing a mask was/is MANDATED. You are at a net zero here.

WINNING while losing.

nonobaddog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 10, 2015
    Tropical Minnesota
    And regarding seatbelts, there was RESEARCH indicating that seatbelt would/should be effective in lowering fatalities prior to 1968, but I don't see that there was "evidence"... in fact, much like masks, there was considerable opposition that they would CAUSE internal injuries and trap people in submerged vehicles... it took ~20 years for that evidence... I take it that means you'll consider maybe wearing a mask in 2041? When there's 20 years of evidence?

I started driving before 1968 and I remember all the anti-seatbelt times. Some people hated them, would not wear them and would cut them out of cars.
    For a while after 1968 the seatbelts were mandatory to be in the cars but it was not mandatory to wear them. Then at some point it became mandatory to wear them but it was not a primary offense, meaning they would not stop you for not wearing them but only give tickets for that after they stopped you for some other reason. Now it is a primary offense and they can stop you for not wearing them.
    I know some people that still hook them up behind them so they don't have to wear them the right way.
    Just like anything else they are not perfect and have cause some problems but most people agree they have prevented/reduced more injuries/deaths.

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    The reason it's so hard for you Anti's to answer is because the answer is yes, mostly, often enough and effectively enough to be wise to wear, especially when cost/benefit is analyzed. But, they do fail to protect some wearers, they don't make the car deathproof.
    I come from a club and professional racing background, and I believe in seatbelts for a different reason - that they keep you centered and give the best chance of retaining at least some control of the vehicle even during extreme circumstances. Nobody races believing that they are going to crash

That said, I would further indicate that I believe most in five point racing harnesses that are tight every moment - no pre-tensioners or low speed movement allowance. To me masking is the compromised equivalent of 'comfortable' automotive safety equipment, in that it offers substandard protection while convincing the occupant/user that the 8/10/12 airbags will pick up the slack

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    Hmmm... another straw man, so I'll flat out say it... masking alone will not stop the spread in the community. It ain't a magic shield. Masking does reduce the RATE of spread, especially when the virus is prevalent in a community or region.
    That is a belief only. I have yet to see any scientific quantification of an actual real world effect on rate of transmission attributable directly to masking. In fact the pattern of spread despite masking could be interpreted as evidence against rather than for. You had little comment on the datum that 97 out of 100 of the counties with the highest second peak case rates were under either local mask mandates or statewide mandates or both

SheepDog4Life

Natural Gray Man
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    May 14, 2016
    SW IN
    That is a belief only. I have yet to see any scientific quantification of an actual real world effect on rate of transmission attributable directly to masking. In fact the pattern of spread despite masking could be interpreted as evidence against rather than for. You had little comment on the datum that 97 out of 100 of the counties with the highest second peak case rates were under either local mask mandates or statewide mandates or both
    Last I looked there were over a dozen studies on mask effectiveness... here's just one, in as close to a closed lab experiment as you can get:
    A study of an outbreak aboard the USS Theodore Roosevelt, an environment notable for congregate living quarters and close working environments, found that use of face coverings on-board was associated with a 70% reduced risk.35
    I've posted ad-nauseum on the ground observations that mask-mandates have little to do with actual mask wearing, when the virus comes in numbers, people mask up.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom