• Status
    Not open for further replies.

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    Wearing ineffective masks is great - it gives the wearer enough false security to go out and spread the virus while thinking they are some sort of moral critter. Ineffective masks could be responsible for much of the spread in this country. Does any other country have so many people running around with pieces of cloth over their faces and calling them masks?
    I think in most places where mask laws are in place they don't tell you what constitutes a mask.
    As long as it covers your nose and mouth it's legally a mask.

Some places like hospitals are more strict.
    They require surgical grade (3 layers) masks and don't allow visitors or staff to show up with their homemade cloth mask.

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    I've long given up on trying to convince people to trust sources other than what they want to believe, even on things that they could verify for themselves. We have people here who claim that masks do nothing. I'm guessing they think it's magic that a mask is damp after being worn, because it certainly couldn't have caught anything that was exhaled. I'm not going down that road, even if it's the option most likely to sway more people. INGO posting can't my full-time job.

I don't think badly of people because of their disagreement. I think they have a deficiency based on the mismatch between their professed beliefs/principles and their actions. And I have tried a variety of methods to convince people to do what I think is the logical and moral thing.

I think people should choose to wear masks when they are in close proximity to others. Their reasons can be moral, evidence-based, or philosophical. I really don't care the reason behind anyone's choice.

I had a plumber do some work for me awhile back. He 100% believes that the earth is flat. He also used GPS to get to the job site. I see similar cognitive dissonance going on in this thread, and I've tried to call it out.

There are several reasons to wear a mask during a respiratory-based pandemic. This is just the list off the top of my head.
    • Evidence has shown that masks reduce the likelihood (but don't eliminate the possibility) of transmission of the SARS-CoV-2 virus and the associated disease.
    • Several countries that have had an extremely high degree of masking as one part of their mitigations have suffered significantly less disruption to their society, and it's OK to emulate those whose success you wish to achieve.
    • In situations where evidence of the effectiveness of various mitigations is still unclear, the prudent action is to assume the best for low-cost, low-risk mitigations. Anti-Trumpers responded poorly to this with hydroxychloroquine, and pro-Trumpers have responded poorly to this on masks.
    • Masks are, in a sense, one particular finger from each hand pointed at Big Brother, Walmart, etc. and their cameras and facial recognition software that tries to track our whole lives.
    • The continued spread of the disease is harmful to our friends and neighbors whose businesses are failing and whose livelihoods are being destroyed the longer this drags on. Even if we want to reject authoritarians (and I am on board with that), we should be doing so in a way where the harm we inflict is primarily to the authoritarians and not to our fellow citizens.

https://www.heritage.org/public-hea...-there-better-ways-control-covid-19-outbreaks

KEY TAKEAWAYS​

While mask-wearing can help to reduce transmission of COVID-19, data show that mask mandates in the U.S. and other countries did not prevent a surge of cases.
    During the U.S. surge in the fall, 97 of the 100 counties with the most confirmed cases had either a county-level mask mandate, a state-level mandate, or both.

foszoe

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jun 2, 2011
    So the key takeaways are that (1) masks do indeed help to reduce transmission, but that (2) mandates are not the same thing as--nor a replacement for--people actually wearing masks and following the rest of the mitigation guidelines?

Good. Glad we agree.
    Nah. Give it a little time :)

nonobaddog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 10, 2015
    Tropical Minnesota
    So the key takeaways are that (1) masks do indeed help to reduce transmission, but that (2) mandates are not the same thing as--nor a replacement for--people actually wearing masks and following the rest of the mitigation guidelines?

What I see is them saying that masks may help reduce the spread while at the same time they are presenting evidence that masks do not work well enough to reduce the spread.

rebase

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Feb 25, 2019
    Indianapolis
    I wear a mask so if I have the rona, I'm less likely to spread it to others.

Facial coverings without a strong seal offer little to no protection for the wearer. I wear a mask to protect others.

Jin

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    31   0   0
    May 20, 2019
    Salamonie
    I’m wearing a new disposable mask daily. If I think I’m going somewhere with higher risk, I’ll put on a N95, but I haven’t had to yet.

It’s nice because it’s not so much of a deal to shave before work everyday, but sucks because it’s harder to breath if wearing for extended times

I don’t think the mask is protecting me 100% or 0%, I’m thinking it’s better than nothing.

I figure it’s gotta be better than nothing as long as I’m washing my hands frequently and reducing my exposure to people

I have thought about wearing a full face respirator around, lol

Also, if you are wearing a cloth mask/bandana/neck gaiter, it’s probably a good idea to wash it frequently

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Drail

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 13, 2008
    Bloomington
    There was an old Woody Allen film from the 70s where he was the dictator of a small third world country. To demonstrate his power he said to his people "From this day forward you must all change your under wear every thirty minutes. You must wear you under wear on the out side so we may check this." Here we are........

foszoe

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jun 2, 2011
    There was an old Woody Allen film from the 70s where he was the dictator of a small third world country. To demonstrate his power he said to his people "From this day forward you must all change your under wear every thirty minutes. You must wear you under wear on the out side so we may check this." Here we are........
    That was a great movie

jkoontzie

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 25, 2020
    Mishawaka
    I don't wear a mask because someone told me to or I am afraid of the virus. I wear it because I work and live around people who if stricken could die from it and if I can help prevent that with washing my hands more frequently and donning a mask to reduce my funky breath so be it.

NKBJ

at the ark
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 21, 2010
    There was a humorous novel in the late sixties or so about a rather naive US agricultural expert that was sent to Central America to help with banana crops, got involved with revolutionaries, ended up growing a beard after losing his wind up shaver (somebody used it for the timer on a car bomb) and became benevolent dictator. It was a riotous read and seeing the Woody Allen film became certain that was the inspiration for the script writer. Whoever the author was and whatever the title of the book was, that one I'd love to read again. Think I'll email my big sister, she'll probably remember the book.

Oh my gosh, just found it.
    Don Quixote, USA

Last edited:
    Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom