printcraft

INGO Clown
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Feb 14, 2008
    Uranus
    maybe for you! :runaway:

I always bring a gift, perfume is a guaranteed knockout.

xchloroform-bottle.jpg.pagespeed.ic.ITz0nUt1EO.png

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    Last I looked there were over a dozen studies on mask effectiveness... here's just one, in as close to a closed lab experiment as you can get
    A study of an outbreak aboard the USS Theodore Roosevelt, an environment notable for congregate living quarters and close working environments, found that use of face coverings on-board was associated with a 70% reduced risk.35
    Here is an actual excerpt from the study you quote. Not only is mask wearing not credited with a 70% reduction anywhere, but it is not even studied in isolation from other preventive measures. Hardly 'proof'
    Abstract

Compared with the volume of data on coronavirus disease 2019 (COVID-19) outbreaks among older adults, relatively few data are available concerning COVID-19 in younger, healthy persons in the United States (1,2). In late March 2020, the aircraft carrier USS Theodore Roosevelt arrived at port in Guam after numerous U.S. service members onboard developed COVID-19. In April, the U.S. Navy and CDC investigated this outbreak, and the demographic, epidemiologic, and laboratory findings among a convenience sample of 382 service members serving aboard the aircraft carrier are reported in this study. The outbreak was characterized by widespread transmission with relatively mild symptoms and asymptomatic infection among this sample of mostly young, healthy adults with close, congregate exposures. Service members who reported taking preventive measures had a lower infection rate than did those who did not report taking these measures (e.g., wearing a face covering, 55.8% versus 80.8%; avoiding common areas, 53.8% versus 67.5%; and observing social distancing, 54.7% versus 70.0%, respectively). The presence of neutralizing antibodies, which represent antibodies that inhibit SARS-CoV-2, among the majority (59.2%) of those with antibody responses is a promising indicator of at least short-term immunity. This report improves the understanding of COVID-19 in the U.S. military and among young adults in congregate settings and reinforces the importance of preventive measures to lower risk for infection in similar environments.

foszoe

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jun 2, 2011
    Sometimes after flushing the toilet, I get tired of watching the water swirl and just wish the water would go down.

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    Just like the seasonal flu, this vaccine doesn’t stop people from picking it up and transmitting it. The Covid vaccine isn’t going to eliminate Covid any more than scientists have been able to eliminate the season flu virus. These masks are asinine.

kickbacked

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 12, 2010
    masks serve a second purpose of keeping my face warm in the winter. Back when i worked in snow removal id always wear a mask unless i was in the truck, not a medical one but just a basic one with a velcro back. It was perfectly acceptable when it was obvious i was removing snow but couldnt wear it walking into the bank or grocery store. Now i have tons of options and my face can stay warm any day of the week.

SheepDog4Life

Natural Gray Man
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    May 14, 2016
    SW IN
    Here is an actual excerpt from the study you quote. Not only is mask wearing not credited with a 70% reduction anywhere, but it is not even studied in isolation from other preventive measures. Hardly 'proof'
    Here's the full study, not just the abstract. The word mask is used nowhere... face covering, on the other hand, is used throughout (in 7 places) and found to be a measure that INDEPENDENTLY reduced infections:

SARS-CoV-2 Infections and Serologic Responses from a Sample of U.S. Navy Service Members — USS Theodore Roosevelt, April 2020
    Lower odds of infection were independently associated with self-report of wearing a face covering (55.8% versus 80.8%; OR = 0.3; 95% CI = 0.2–0.5),

Though you are correct that is not 70% by itself.

smittygj

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 11, 2010
    Kingdom of Bahrain
    I know, I know, not in America, but here in Bahrain, wearing a mask is mandatory at all times when it public, indoors or outdoors. So basically the only place you don't have to wear a mask is in your car or in your house. If caught not wearing mask by Ministry of the Interior (the police), they will write you a 20BD ($53 USD) ticket, which you can pay on the spot. One man refused to pay, and then bragged about it on social media a couple months ago, and was insulting the police officer while he was writing the ticket, so he was arrested, taken to court immediately, and was sentenced to 1 year in prison and given a 1,000BD ($2,650 USD) fine.

https://gulfnews.com/world/gulf/bah...g-to-wear-facemask-defaming-police-1.74910165

nonobaddog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 10, 2015
    Tropical Minnesota
    Here's the full study, not just the abstract. The word mask is used nowhere... face covering, on the other hand, is used throughout (in 7 places) and found to be a measure that INDEPENDENTLY reduced infections:

SARS-CoV-2 Infections and Serologic Responses from a Sample of U.S. Navy Service Members — USS Theodore Roosevelt, April 2020

Though you are correct that is not 70% by itself.

I don't think I would put much faith in the numbers in that study. Their "convenience sample" is not representative of the population of the ship and is more heavily loaded with positive cases.
    If you look at the data flow chart, the numbers on the uninfected side are too tiny to make valid conclusions.
    It looks like more CDC propaganda saying "wear your silly face coverings".

SheepDog4Life

Natural Gray Man
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    May 14, 2016
    SW IN
    I don't think I would put much faith in the numbers in that study. Their "convenience sample" is not representative of the population of the ship and is more heavily loaded with positive cases.
    If you look at the data flow chart, the numbers on the uninfected side are too tiny to make valid conclusions.
    It looks like more CDC propaganda saying "wear your silly face coverings".
    They don't define how their "convenience" sample was comprised, but I seriously doubt they "cherry picked" their sample, let alone for positive mask results, in April while the CDC was advising against masks. And it wasn't just CDC docs, Navy docs too.

The 95% confidence intervals for preventative measures indicate that the sample size was adequate for each measure as none of the OR CIs ever crosses zero... the results are statistically valid.
    Lower odds of infection were independently associated with self-report of wearing a face covering (55.8% versus 80.8%; OR = 0.3; 95% CI = 0.2–0.5), avoiding common areas (53.8% versus 67.5%; OR = 0.6; 95% CI = 0.4–0.9), and observing social distancing (54.7% versus 70.0%; OR = 0.5; 95% CI = 0.3–0.8), compared with service members who did not report these behaviors.

Drail

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 13, 2008
    Bloomington
    The concept of permitting the State to believe that they are responsible and obligated to look out for your health and welfare is found nowhere in the Constitution. They have neither responsibility or authority. The State assumed the responsibility and authorized themselves to enforce these things. The masks they want you to wear are very much like the belt restraints they require you to use. Neither of them work all that well. Imagine for a moment if the State decided to require you to wear a 5 point harness and have a roll cage in every vehicle. And let's require everybody to wear a helmet when operating on a public road. This would save FAR MORE lives than the cheap 3 point belt that the D.O.T. requires. Would the citizens be resistant to that? You bet your ass they would. These things are NONE of the Govt's damn business. And they have a proven record of having no idea how to do ANYTHING in a reasonable fashion.

CampingJosh

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Dec 16, 2010
    Masks are not like seatbelts. I agree with you that seatbelt laws are ridiculous. Masks are like septic systems.

Air and water are similar in that it's far easier to keep them clean and safe by prevention than it is to filter/purify out contaminants at the point of use. Septic systems and sewage treatment plants are required because even one person's fecal bacteria getting into the drinking water supply can cause serious risks for an entire community. Same thing for one person exhaling a virus into the shared air supply.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom