This is nuts I wouldn't work for a company doing this.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • hornadylnl

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 19, 2008
    Do you as a customer have a right to boycott businesses that support liberal causes or gun bans?

IndyDave1776

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    Wouldn't that qualify as coercive invasion of privacy. Likewise, I find it intrusive that some want to run your credit before hiring you. Why? You want to work and get paid, not borrow money from them. Needless to say, my answer wouldn't be 'no' but 'Hell No'!

hornadylnl

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 19, 2008
    Would a gun shop hiring an employee like to know a little bit about the persons personal views? If an applicant had a lot of pro Brady crap on their Facebook page, I'd like to know about it. That guy could get me sent up the river for a really long time.

IndyDave1776

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    Would a gun shop hiring an employee like to know a little bit about the persons personal views? If an applicant had a lot of pro Brady crap on their Facebook page, I'd like to know about it. That guy could get me sent up the river for a really long time.

Taking a look is one thing. Demanding that he turn over his personal password is something entirely different. Much as I don't like the type you mention, if we allow invasion of privacy in some cases, we have opened the door to it in all cases, particularly our own.

hornadylnl

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 19, 2008
    Taking a look is one thing. Demanding that he turn over his personal password is something entirely different. Much as I don't like the type you mention, if we allow invasion of privacy in some cases, we have opened the door to it in all cases, particularly our own.

If you don't like the terms of the application process, you're free to get up and walk out. Personally, I'd never hire someone who wants to tell me how to run my business before they even work for me.

hornadylnl

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 19, 2008
    If an employer can't find any applicants willing to give up that info, they'll have to drop the requirement or do without new employees.

IndyDave1776

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    If you don't like the terms of the application process, you're free to get up and walk out. Personally, I'd never hire someone who wants to tell me how to run my business before they even work for me.

How does expecting you to refrain from poking your nose into my personal business, and demanding the key to the door, constitute telling you how to run your business?

hornadylnl

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 19, 2008
    How does expecting you to refrain from poking your nose into my personal business, and demanding the key to the door, constitute telling you how to run your business?

Don't you worry. There will be enough complainers that a new law will be passed to prevent this.

IndyDave1776

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    Don't you worry. There will be enough complainers that a new law will be passed to prevent this.

That is not really the point. The point is that invasion of privacy is not acceptable. If any potential employer wants my personal passwords, to rummage through my personal business, to know what arms and how much ammunition I possess, or anything else that is none of his business, not only am I not divulging that information, I will most likely tell him to go f**k himself as I get up and walk out. What are you going to support next, making it acceptable to demand women applying put out and relent if you can't find any who will?

IndyDave1776

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    If I were an evil 1%er, I wouldn't want to hire an occupier.

Odds are that an occupier won't be looking for a job anyway. Even if he is, I am sure that an interviewer of even marginal talent would be able to screen him out without resorting to rummaging through his private, password-protected material.

Scutter01

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008

I wouldn't presume to tell you how to run your business, but if you required (or even requested) my passwords, I would immediately withdraw my application and terminate the interview. I would refuse to consider working for a company who cares so little about business ethics that they think that sort of behavior is acceptable.

Archbishop

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 11, 2009
    INDY
    I wouldn't presume to tell you how to run your business, but if you required (or even requested) my passwords, I would immediately withdraw my application and terminate the interview. I would refuse to consider working for a company who cares so little about business ethics that they think that sort of behavior is acceptable.
    Exactly!

hornadylnl

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 19, 2008
    That is not really the point. The point is that invasion of privacy is not acceptable. If any potential employer wants my personal passwords, to rummage through my personal business, to know what arms and how much ammunition I possess, or anything else that is none of his business, not only am I not divulging that information, I will most likely tell him to go f**k himself as I get up and walk out. What are you going to support next, making it acceptable to demand women applying put out and relent if you can't find any who will?

But two Facebook photos are enough to believe a thug got what he had coming to him?
    17 year old kid shot dead by Neighborhood Watch "Captain" - Page 46 - INGunOwners

We can condemn a person by their Facebook page yet an employer shouldn't be able to use Facebook to get an insight to a potential employee's character?

Top Bottom