This is nuts I wouldn't work for a company doing this.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Bill of Rights

Cogito, ergo porto.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Where's the bacon?
    One person suggested telling them he had no facebook page. I'd have to do this, as I don't either, however if I did, I think I would either give info to a decoy page with no info on it at all or tell them if they insist, I'll set up a page, but since I won't be using it, it won't really help them to have the info for it.

If they're that dead set on checking that far into my life, there better be a security clearance involved and a paycheck of five figures a week. (If I voluntarily seek a job requiring a clearance, I go into it understanding that they're going to do a thorough background check on me. My choice to seek that job or not.)

:twocents:

Blessings,
    Bill

$mooth

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 27, 2010
    Texas
    BoR is correct, all this will lead to is people creating an extra FB acct that is sanitized with zero friends and no personal info.

I am curious if it is against the law to not hire someone for the sole reason that they refused to provide a facebook password based on their profile containing protected information (race, creed/religion, sexual orientation, etc.)

Ogre

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Indianapolis
    BoR is correct, all this will lead to is people creating an extra FB acct that is sanitized with zero friends and no personal info.

I am curious if it is against the law to not hire someone for the sole reason that they refused to provide a facebook password based on their profile containing protected information (race, creed/religion, sexual orientation, etc.)
    No doubt... It, in most cases provides the info. employers arent allowed to ask.
    Id, tell them to pound sand...:cool:

beararms1776

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 5, 2010
    INGO

It won't stop there. They'll single out individuals and require them to give up certain liberties and/ or rights to work.
    My employer asked me if I owned any guns.
    If they can find something to use on you, they'll be on it like a criminal.

Last edited:
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Aug 14, 2009
    Salem
    It won't stop there. They'll single out individuals and require them to give up certain liberties and/ or rights to work.
    My employer asked me if I owned any guns.
    If they can find something to use on you, they'll be on it like a criminal.

Was the gun question germane to your line of work? If not, then none of their business.

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    Meh, they can ask. I can't remember the number of people who have asked for something over the years.:)

IndyBeerman

Was a real life Beerman.....
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jun 2, 2008
    Plainfield
    I was talking with Mrs. IBM about this, she's wondering about the legality of it because you're not even allowed to ask an applicants age other than if they are over 18.

RobbyMaQ

#BarnWoodStrong
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Mar 26, 2012
    Lizton
    If someone were to hire me, it'd be because of my skill, resume and interview. Facebook is only going to give them an opportunity to be a Non EOE. I wouldn't give my PW etc. Friggin joke. I've nothing to hide... it's the prinicipal. They can find some other nincompoop to try to do half of what I could for them (and likely for half the salary) which they would rightly deserve if their 'borderline' decisions is based on my personal views.

jve153

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 14, 2011
    bargersville, in
    if i remember right, and this article references it, i believe "The Department of Justice regards it as a federal crime to enter a social networking site in violation of the terms of service, but during recent congressional testimony, the agency said such violations would not be prosecuted."
    i think it was part of the cyberbullying legislation after that kid comitted suicide.
    so this very well could be technically criminal. i could be wrong as well, it has happened before.
    if asked for this information, i may have to politely decline and then proceed to cause some sort of harmless time wasting havoc for said company for a bit of time afterwards to make myself feel better.

rambone

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    'Merica
    We can sort this one out by honoring property rights. The applicant is not entitled to work for XYZ Corporation, and the applicant is not being forced to go through their application process. Its all voluntary. The owner isn't obligated to hire anyone who doesn't comply with his rules.

While this may be a very uncomfortable and invasive hiring requirement, it is not a violation of the applicant's rights. Companies ask for all sorts of invasive things: urine samples, hair samples, fingerprints, physical examinations, medical history, criminal record, questionnaires, personality tests, and so on.

If the hiring requirements go too far for your comfort, then do the right thing. Walk away and let them know the reason.

Ted

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 19, 2012
    ....While this may be a very uncomfortable and invasive hiring requirement, it is not a violation of the applicant's rights. Companies ask for all sorts of invasive things: urine samples, hair samples, fingerprints, physical examinations, medical history, criminal record, questionnaires, personality tests, and so on......

It isn't legal, unless its a BFOQ or business necessity.

Test a person's urine for drugs is one thing, testing it for Diabetes is another.....unless there is a clear and compelling reason to do otherwise.

rambone

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    'Merica
    It isn't legal, unless its a BFOQ or business necessity.

Test a person's urine for drugs is one thing, testing it for Diabetes is another.....unless there is a clear and compelling reason to do otherwise.
    Legality is one thing, understanding the property rights aspect is another.

Double T

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   1
    Aug 5, 2011
    Huntington
    Your facebook account isn't your IP. Your pictures aren't yours. Read the new fb policy. Anything on facebook is facebook's IP. You have no IP rights on facebook.

beararms1776

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 5, 2010
    INGO
    I agree with rambone. The applicant has no obligation to give out such invasive information. If the applicant does, it is an agreement between the applicant and the Company only.

Top Bottom