This is nuts I wouldn't work for a company doing this.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • hornadylnl

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 19, 2008
    I wouldn't presume to tell you how to run your business, but if you required (or even requested) my passwords, I would immediately withdraw my application and terminate the interview. I would refuse to consider working for a company who cares so little about business ethics that they think that sort of behavior is acceptable.

And I fully support your right to do so. It's the free market. What I don't support is the government intruding on this process. If requiring social media content is over the top, it will go the way of the buggy whip.

firehawk1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    May 15, 2010
    Between the rock and that hardplace
    If requiring social media content is over the top, it will go the way of the buggy whip.

Ah... but in today's world everything is too big to fail. Therefore we would subsidize buggy whips.:rolleyes:

I do see your point though. Personally I feel the same way about everyone asking for a credit score. THAT is a scam if there ever was one.:yesway: You can be approved for a mortgage, and turned down for homeowners insurance because of your credit score.

hornadylnl

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 19, 2008
    Ah... but in today's world everything is too big to fail. Therefore we would subsidize buggy whips.:rolleyes:

I do see your point though. Personally I feel the same way about everyone asking for a credit score. THAT is a scam if there ever was one.:yesway: You can be approved for a mortgage, and turned down for homeowners insurance because of your credit score.

I don't get the attitude that the employee or consumer is powerless against the man. I've had homeowners insurance for 13 years now I don't recall ever signing off on a credit check. If I didn't want to give a credit check for insurance, I'd shop for a new company.

IndyDave1776

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    But two Facebook photos are enough to believe a thug got what he had coming to him?
    17 year old kid shot dead by Neighborhood Watch "Captain" - Page 46 - INGunOwners

We can condemn a person by their Facebook page yet an employer shouldn't be able to use Facebook to get an insight to a potential employee's character?

Quit dealing off the bottom of the deck. I said no such thing. I said that pictures that make the young man look like a hoodlum do not fit into the media's agenda as do the younger and more innocent examples they prefer to use. Dealing with media spin if different from pronouncing guilt. Further, no one took his personal password to get what he freely posted. The other side of the coin is that what you voluntarily put in front of God and everyone else is your problem, not that of those who look. Likewise, if I am stupid enough to post pictures of, say, my closets and drawers, I cannot justify getting bent at you for looking at them. However, if you show up at my door demanding to see them, you can forget it.

You deliberately took a comment out of context and ran with it. I am satisfied that you are bright enough that you don't need to stoop to such a device.

IndyBeerman

Was a real life Beerman.....
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jun 2, 2008
    Plainfield
    I don't get the attitude that the employee or consumer is powerless against the man. I've had homeowners insurance for 13 years now I don't recall ever signing off on a credit check. If I didn't want to give a credit check for insurance, I'd shop for a new company.

Hate to break the news to you, they don't need your blessing to run a credit check.:D

hornadylnl

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 19, 2008
    Aren't all Facebook pages public? Again, if you don't want a potential employer to have that info, I fully support you. You formed an opinion on Martin by his page. A potential employer would like to form an opinion of you from your page.

What I don't support is adding another few hundred pages of legislation to the 80,000 new pages they're going to add this year. What is the point of all the *****ing about employers requiring this information if people aren't seeking to prevent them from doing so.

hornadylnl

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 19, 2008
    Hate to break the news to you, they don't need your blessing to run a credit check.:D

My guess is that insurance companies are running credit checks to prevent fraud. I'm sure there's never been a coincidental house fire after someone experiences major financial troubles.

firehawk1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    May 15, 2010

We recently switched homeowners from Erie Insurance (crooks IMO) to State Farm. My wife took care of it so I can't really say if we had to go thru the credit score thing or not, just never asked.:rolleyes: My wife had worked in the real estate industry for several years and has seen potential homeowners approved for a mortgage but turned down for insurance because of their credit score.

I was looking into switching car insurance 2 years ago at an Allstate office. I was informed I would have to go thru a credit score check. My rates would have been based on my credit score. Needless to say, I said thanks but no thanks and walked out. Not that I have a credit score problem it was the point of it.

Problem is I'm sure ALL of them will be doing this soon. As I said credit scores are a scam anymore as they are used for things they were originally never intended for.

Sorry OP off topic. I would refuse to give out personal information like this to a potential employer. I would bother me as to why he/she feels the need to pry that deep into my personal life. I come to work, give you a hard days work for my paycheck, that is all an employer NEEDS to know about me unless I choose otherwise.

:twocents:

hornadylnl

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 19, 2008
    We recently switched homeowners from Erie Insurance (crooks IMO) to State Farm. My wife took care of it so I can't really say if we had to go thru the credit score thing or not, just never asked.:rolleyes: My wife had worked in the real estate industry for several years and has seen potential homeowners approved for a mortgage but turned down for insurance because of their credit score.

I was looking into switching car insurance 2 years ago at an Allstate office. I was informed I would have to go thru a credit score check. My rates would have been based on my credit score. Needless to say, I said thanks but no thanks and walked out. Not that I have a credit score problem it was the point of it.

Problem is I'm sure ALL of them will be doing this soon. As I said credit scores are a scam anymore as they are used for things they were originally never intended for.

Sorry OP off topic. I would refuse to give out personal information like this to a potential employer. I would bother me as to why he/she feels the need to pry that deep into my personal life. I come to work, give you a hard days work for my paycheck, that is all an employer NEEDS to know about me unless I choose otherwise.

:twocents:

I fully support your opinion and you are free to exercise them.

BTW, I've had Eerie for 12 years and I have no complaints. Maybe it depends on the individual agent.

IndyDave1776

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    Aren't all Facebook pages public? Again, if you don't want a potential employer to have that info, I fully support you. You formed an opinion on Martin by his page. A potential employer would like to form an opinion of you from your page.

What I don't support is adding another few hundred pages of legislation to the 80,000 new pages they're going to add this year. What is the point of all the *****ing about employers requiring this information if people aren't seeking to prevent them from doing so.

I get it! You didn't read the linked article before wading in! Had you done so, you would have seen that demanding people give up their passwords and access to nonpublic information was the point at issue. It really is a good thing to find out what you are arguing before doing the arguing.

As for forming an opinion, I said that showing those less than flattering pictures didn't fit the media's agenda, which is that Martin is completely innocent of anything other than being black in public and that Zimmerman is a murderous sociopath.

I did not say a word about arriving at any conclusion based on those pictures other than that they were not conducive to the media spin. Please get that through your thick head!

Scutter01

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    Aren't all Facebook pages public?

No, they're not. You can set levels of access so that only certain people can see certain things. Furthermore, there's a secondary issue in that people who have set things so that only you can see them are not expecting that you're going to hand that over to strangers. For example, if my mom were to post a private comment to me, it's under the presumption that it's private.

hornadylnl

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 19, 2008
    I don't do Facebook. I wouldn't work for a company that wanted my email account and password. I get that. But I don't support MORE LEGISLATION.

Who is John Galt?

firehawk1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    May 15, 2010
    Maybe, just maybe we as potential employees should start demanding full financial statements, and personal passwords from all potential employers. I don't want to waste my time going to work for someone who's company is in financial trouble, or who's management are possible whack jobs.:D

hornadylnl

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 19, 2008
    Maybe, just maybe we as potential employees should start demanding full financial statements, and personal passwords from all potential employers. I don't want to waste my time going to work for someone who's company is in financial trouble, or who's management are possible whack jobs.:D

While everyone is writing their reps and senators demanding a law against this, also ask that all the business financials become public record.

Scutter01

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    . I don't want to waste my time going to work for someone who's company is in financial trouble, or who's management are possible whack jobs.:D

Been there. Done that. I was there almost a whole year before they laid off 250 people, shut down the company, and then fired the other 250.

IndyDave1776

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    I don't do Facebook. I wouldn't work for a company that wanted my email account and password. I get that. But I don't support MORE LEGISLATION.

Who is John Galt?

Great! We have discovered common ground! No, we really don't need more legislation, just observation of restrictions against invasion of privacy.

LEaSH

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Aug 10, 2009
    Indianapolis
    If an employer wants to know you. they're going to know you.

If you're not going to open up to them, well, they pretty much know enough about you...

TIA one way or anotha.

hornadylnl

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 19, 2008
    We have the Emails to the Admin thread here. Maybe we should have a thread for business owners to post stories about employees and applicants. I'm sure it would get real interesting.

IndyDave1776

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    We have the Emails to the Admin thread here. Maybe we should have a thread for business owners to post stories about employees and applicants. I'm sure it would get real interesting.

I have no doubt that if there were such a thread, we would all have to have seatbelts installed on our chairs to prevent falling out while laughing. Still doesn't justify invasion of privacy.

Top Bottom