• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • MCgrease08

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Mar 14, 2013
    Earth
    Posting up a link to a new calesthenics program I'm following.

It's been a while since I've had any type of regiment and my flexibility has degraded while my weight has been on the rise. I've been looking for a simple body weight routine that can be done with minimal space and equipment.

Wrapping up the first week and the exercises are simple and can be done in 30-40 minutes. I'll be sure to post up a video when ai am strong enough to pull off the human flag.

[video=youtube_share;qQ7Ls81-MqE]http://youtu.be/qQ7Ls81-MqE[/video]

Roadie

Modus InHiatus
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Beech Grove
    I am back in the "game". I have lost 70lbs in the last year. Mostly because I have been working on my feet and have been just simply making better choices. I had colon surgery about 6 weeks ago and been stuck at home, but still have lost over 10lbs since surgery. I have another 70lbs to go. Baby steps..

patience0830

.22 magician
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 96.6%
    28   1   0
    Nov 3, 2008
    Not far from the tree
    Jeremy, I have been eating low carb high protein for over two months now. Virtually no sweets, starches, grains, and lots of meat, dairy, and veg. Diet on its own does very little because my body has become so accustomed to it. The key will be to add exercise.

Sent from my TA-1027 using Tapatalk

good job Snap. I'd have had a hard time accepting advice so gracefully, that assumed i was clueless this far into a thread.:n00b:

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    I am back in the "game". I have lost 70lbs in the last year. Mostly because I have been working on my feet and have been just simply making better choices. I had colon surgery about 6 weeks ago and been stuck at home, but still have lost over 10lbs since surgery. I have another 70lbs to go. Baby steps..

Good job! It took me about 16 months but I lost over 150lbs. It can be done.

Sigblitz

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 25, 2018
    Indianapolis
    My speed board went out in the old Nordictrack. It has a frayed belt and tracking issues. I picked up a Vision Fitness today. I got a good workout because it's twice as heavy, and I put a peice of carpet under it because the carpet is new. It wouldn't roll on the pad nicely so I had to lift it up on boxes of ammo and slide it under, another workout.

cbhausen

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Feb 17, 2010
    Indianapolis, IN
    I'm in my mid 50s and I need to lose about 50 pounds. I have a nice elliptical, sweet bicycle, an Apple Watch, a Polar H10 chest strap HRM, and now a Whoop Strap 3.0. I also rent space in PitFit Training, arguably the very best fitness facility in Indianapolis. And as a tenant I can avail myself of their facility and classes any time I want.

In other words, I am out of excuses. This begins now, starting with more elliptical and rides (including commuting) then on to classes at PitFit.

And if you're into fitness gadgets, check out Whoop. It's expensive (up to $30/month) but provides amazing metrics and actionable information regarding daily Strain, Recovery, and Sleep along with the usual Activity Tracking. This technology was only available to elite athletes and professional sports teams until about a year ago. The Strap cost $500 back then and individual athletes' memberships were $1,000-2,000 annually. Now, the Strap comes free with the membership.

You don't buy the hardware, it comes with the membership. It's meant to be worn 24/7 and has a 5-day battery life. Charging is done on-the-wrist by attaching a piggyback charging module which tops off the internal battery. No displays, nothing to look at except LED status lights on the side. All data is reviewed in a desktop app or on a mobile device (Android or iOS). A complete no-brainer, just put it on and let it do its thing. It takes a few days to get to know your physiology then guides you to optimal Strain (cardiovascular workload) based on the previous night's Recovery score, which is determined by the quality and quantity of sleep you got the night before (this is called Sleep Efficiency).

There's also an optional Journal where one can anonymously record alcohol and diet, bedtime behaviors, medications, recovery modalities, etc. Whoop then provides weekly, monthly, and annual Performance Assessments which use your Journal entries to correlate behaviors to trends (like the effect of reading an iPad or paper book positively or negatively affects your Sleep Efficiency). You get a TON of useful data for your membership and can even make or join Teams, allow coaches to review your data for accountability and tailoring training programs, etc. etc.

Lots of pro athletes from PGA, NBA, NFL, INDYCAR, NASCAR are using it and now we can too. Ask away or send me a PM if you want to know more.

Snapdragon

know-it-all tart
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Nov 5, 2013
    NW Indiana
    Well, my diet/exercise plan has pretty much gone off the rails with the quarantine. Haven't been able to go to the Y, and been eating whateverthehellIwant. I have been trying to get out and walk every day, but now that it's getting warmer, that will be more of a challenge. Fortunately, I have not picked up more than 3-4 pounds. Need to get back with the program, at least with diet. Not going back to the Y for a while.

MCgrease08

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Mar 14, 2013
    Earth
    Well, my diet/exercise plan has pretty much gone off the rails with the quarantine. Haven't been able to go to the Y, and been eating whateverthehellIwant. I have been trying to get out and walk every day, but now that it's getting warmer, that will be more of a challenge. Fortunately, I have not picked up more than 3-4 pounds. Need to get back with the program, at least with diet. Not going back to the Y for a while.

When we went into quarantine I set a goal of losing 20 pounds by the end of June.

I only have 30 pounds to go.

cbhausen

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Feb 17, 2010
    Indianapolis, IN
    Well, I'm down 5 pounds by exercising, eating a little better, and drinking a lot less. Pretty much doing something every day (elliptical, cycling, yard work, etc.). I finally scheduled a physical (I think my last one was a flight physical in the mid '90s, not good...). I know my blood sugar is okay and my BP is up there, hoping to get it down through diet and exercise but I know the doc is going to want me on meds. I'm hoping he gives me about three months of lifestyle changes first, though.

Did my first bicycle commute to work this morning. 9.4 miles from 56th and Raceway Rd. area to 86th and Moller Rd. area via Eagle Creek Park, up Marsh Rd. from 71st St. to 79th St., across 465 and from there zig-zagging through the Park 100 complex. The AM ride was nice and cool; this afternoon's ride is going to be hotter than hell!

I'm already grinding my way up hills (still in the saddle) I used to have to walk and the elliptical is working me harder (incline and resistance) while running the same fat burn program so that's progress! I saw Tony Kanaan in the gym this morning and told him about my ride. He said "You're gonna feel like **** later but it's a good kind of ****". Hanging out at PitFit is motivating.

Planning on updating my progress here every week or two. It's good to be accountable. Maybe if one of us falls off the wagon the others can help pull him or her back up onto it.

cbhausen

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Feb 17, 2010
    Indianapolis, IN
    Looks like I killed this thread so I'll try to resurrect it...

I started noom a couple of days ago. Found an 80% off coupon online and got in for <$20/month. Basically, it's behavioral modification to improve one's eating habits, tailored for Millennials.

I can look past all the silly hashtags and made-up words to see the point of the program. It is and will work for me because I'm not afraid of stepping onto a scale, nor am I triggered if some cellphone app tells me the food I'm eating is in the RED category (red isn't bad, the color coding system just means watch how much you eat of the yellow and red food types).

I'm off to a good start, being much more mindful of what I put into my body and seeing gradual but steady weight loss (I'm combining noom with exercise outlined in the previous post).

If anyone wants to try noom please PM me, I think there's some sort of referral program which helps both of us.

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    Looks like I killed this thread so I'll try to resurrect it...

I started noom a couple of days ago. Found an 80% off coupon online and got in for <$20/month. Basically, it's behavioral modification to improve one's eating habits, tailored for Millennials.

I can look past all the silly hashtags and made-up words to see the point of the program. It is and will work for me because I'm not afraid of stepping onto a scale, nor am I triggered if some cellphone app tells me the food I'm eating is in the RED category (red isn't bad, the color coding system just means watch how much you eat of the yellow and red food types).

I'm off to a good start, being much more mindful of what I put into my body and seeing gradual but steady weight loss (I'm combining noom with exercise outlined in the previous post).

If anyone wants to try noom please PM me, I think there's some sort of referral program which helps both of us.

Good for you—whatever works! Not to be critical of your chosen path but I downloaded the free version of MyFitnessPal and used it to track calories and especially carbs. On a percentage basis, I’m down about 47-48% or my starting weight. It was a version of behavior control I suppose—planning meals, tracking calories and carbs, and daily weigh ins for accountability. I was told awhile back that weight loss is something like (don’t hold me to the exact numbers) 85% what you eat and 15% of exercise. I can attest to this. I lost most of my weight doing little to increase my exercising. That came naturally as I felt more like doing more.

Good luck to you!

cbhausen

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Feb 17, 2010
    Indianapolis, IN
    The noom thing is working for me. I still fall off the wagon about twice a week (usually a couple of light beers followed by junk food) but the rest has been an easy transition. I've had maybe one or two fast food meals in the last two weeks and when I do I'm making healthier choices (like an unwich at Jimmy John's). I don't miss double quarter pounders at all. Same for diet soda. I've kicked that entirely for water or light lemonade. When I want to make something fast and easy it's usually a Trader Joe's frozen meal.

GFGT is right, it's diet way more than exercise. This is easy to see when you're counting calories. The calories in one serving of potato chips consumed in five minutes takes about 30-45 minutes on the elliptical to burn off. Even with the expected ups and downs I'm down just under 10 pounds in two weeks (when I officially started noom). The ball is rolling and the results keep the motivation level high.

My doctor put me on a BP medication, now it's 120-130/70-80 on my meter with a follow-up in early August. My goal here is to lose enough weight and become generally fit enough to be able to kick the BP pills too. Looking to go from 240 lbs. to 170 lbs. by next spring/summer. I can do it!

Last edited:

Snapdragon

know-it-all tart
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Nov 5, 2013
    NW Indiana
    I might have to look into it some day. Right now between the COVID stuff going on, my mom's health issues, and my own health issues, I'm just trying to keep head above water right now. I have picked up 5-6 lbs and I need to at least get them back off.

cbhausen

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Feb 17, 2010
    Indianapolis, IN
    17 days on noom and I’m down 10 pounds and just started using the next shorter hole in my BioBelt. I feel like I’m only about 1/3 of the way there as far as getting my diet cleaned up too. This has been pretty easy so far. Not long ago I was in the high 240s and viewed never to see 250 on the scale. Now I’m about to enter the 220s. I eat lots of frozen meals but avoid the more processed ones like Lean Cuisine and Healthy Choice for Trader Joe’s and Evol. Once I get fresh fruit and fresh or frozen vegetables eaten raw or prepared properly by steaming or pan frying into the mix I’ll have it made. Fast food, junk food, and soda (regular or diet) are rapidly becoming things of the past. (The weight goal at the bottom is intermediate, set by noom).

Attachments

• C970491B-6948-4C74-922A-8AE191C68574.jpg
      C970491B-6948-4C74-922A-8AE191C68574.jpg
      15.4 KB · Views: 5

cbhausen

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Feb 17, 2010
    Indianapolis, IN
    How's everyone doing? I'm still chugging along, I've had some ups and downs but solidly into the 220s and feeling better than I have in a long time. Other than a few too many Coors Lights and the bar food which inevitably follows, my diet has been transformed from food as fun to food as fuel and I look forward to seeing that number on the scale each morning. Down over 15 pounds in 5 weeks and I'm eating mostly frozen meals for lunch and dinner. The minimally-processed Healthy Choice Simply Steamers are now my favorite. Nice portion sizes, usually 220-400 calories each. I still need to take the time to prepare healthy meals instead of these more often, then I'll really have this nailed down but so far, so good.

Top Bottom