• ...and so much more!
  • 1775usmarine

Sleeper
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    81   0   0
    Feb 15, 2013
    IN
    I've been hovering around 227 since May. If I stay here by my VA yearly around Oct I'd of lost 4 lbs since last year. Wish I could find the trigger that let me lose 31lbs last year and keep that off. At least I'm staying away from my max weight of 263 in 2016.

Snapdragon

know-it-all tart
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Nov 5, 2013
    NW Indiana
    I've been hovering around 227 since May. If I stay here by my VA yearly around Oct I'd of lost 4 lbs since last year. Wish I could find the trigger that let me lose 31lbs last year and keep that off. At least I'm staying away from my max weight of 263 in 2016.
    At least one of us is.

Snapdragon

know-it-all tart
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Nov 5, 2013
    NW Indiana
    If I had time to go to the gym in the morning after work like I use too Im sure the weight would fall off, but gotta our son now to keep me busy till he stays on a schedule
    I was in a good routine at the Y from January-March, but then they closed and things fell apart. Now that they are open again, I still am not going because I cannot do a treadmill or elliptical with a mask. I'm walking a little bit every day, but it's not really enough. I'm just trying to keep head above water and not backslide too much until things get back to normal.

cbhausen

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Feb 17, 2010
    Indianapolis, IN
    I signed up for Noom three days ago, but so far it's nothing I haven't seen before.

A lot of programs end up in about the same place diet-wise. It’s how Noom gets me there that makes the difference. Instead of saying “Here, eat this...” Noom is changing my eating habits steadily over time (which is what I needed). I’m building healthy eating habits I know will stay with me.

Snapdragon

know-it-all tart
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Nov 5, 2013
    NW Indiana
    A lot of programs end up in about the same place diet-wise. It’s how Noom gets me there that makes the difference. Instead of saying “Here, eat this...” Noom is changing my eating habits steadily over time (which is what I needed). I’m building healthy eating habits I know will stay with me.
    Maybe the difference is that I can't really trace my weight issues to any really bad eating habits. I could tighten things up a bit, but I think the key with me is exercise, which for a lot of reasons, is a challenge.

Talkinghalls

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 11, 2020
    NW Indiana
    2017 I weighed 300 pounds at 27 years old, I could barely keep up with my 3 year old boy. Changes were needed in my life.
    2018 I weighed 175, running 13 miles every other day, then I started strength training (Strong lifts 5x5).
    2020 I weigh 210 solid, pushing/pulling 1530 lbs every other day in my workouts (Dead lift 450, Squat 405, Barbell Row 225, Overhead press 175, and Bench 275).

Diet and exercise man. Sucks, and its hard but its the only way.

cbhausen

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Feb 17, 2010
    Indianapolis, IN
    Anyone who is obese and thinks they can walk or exercise their way to a healthy weight is fighting a very uphill battle. Just search the web for "diet vs exercise". I used to be one of those who said "I want to maintain my current diet (fast food, primarily) and lose weight by exercising more". It doesn't take long to realize how much exercise it takes to burn the calories in a single poor eating choice. I've come to realize diet is way more important for me (and the vast majority of folks).

Combining diet and exercise can be tricky, too, especially at the outset of a new effort at weight loss. Many (myself included) will take exercise as permission to slack off on the dietary choices they make (I still do this occasionally). I haven't banished myself from comfort food but I have cut WAAAY back on it. Once the results start rolling in (like almost 20 lbs lost on the scale and no creases under my man boobs any more) the better choices and more active lifestyle become self-perpetuating.

BTW my wife is on Noom now too and she's lost 10 lbs already, about 2-1/2 weeks in. I don't get paid by Noom unless someone wants a referral link, then I think it's $20 Amazon gift card if the referral sticks with the program past the two-week trial period. I wouldn't know, never gotten one. I'm happy to share how well it's working out for us if it helps others.

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    Anyone who is obese and thinks they can walk or exercise their way to a healthy weight is fighting a very uphill battle. Just search the web for "diet vs exercise". I used to be one of those who said "I want to maintain my current diet (fast food, primarily) and lose weight by exercising more". It doesn't take long to realize how much exercise it takes to burn the calories in a single poor eating choice. I've come to realize diet is way more important for me (and the vast majority of folks).

Combining diet and exercise can be tricky, too, especially at the outset of a new effort at weight loss. Many (myself included) will take exercise as permission to slack off on the dietary choices they make (I still do this occasionally). I haven't banished myself from comfort food but I have cut WAAAY back on it. Once the results start rolling in (like almost 20 lbs lost on the scale and no creases under my man boobs any more) the better choices and more active lifestyle become self-perpetuating.

BTW my wife is on Noom now too and she's lost 10 lbs already, about 2-1/2 weeks in. I don't get paid by Noom unless someone wants a referral link, then I think it's $20 Amazon gift card if the referral sticks with the program past the two-week trial period. I wouldn't know, never gotten one. I'm happy to share how well it's working out for us if it helps others.

You can't outrun a fork. :yesway:

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    How's everyone doing? I'm still chugging along, I've had some ups and downs but solidly into the 220s and feeling better than I have in a long time. Other than a few too many Coors Lights and the bar food which inevitably follows, my diet has been transformed from food as fun to food as fuel and I look forward to seeing that number on the scale each morning. Down over 15 pounds in 5 weeks and I'm eating mostly frozen meals for lunch and dinner. The minimally-processed Healthy Choice Simply Steamers are now my favorite. Nice portion sizes, usually 220-400 calories each. I still need to take the time to prepare healthy meals instead of these more often, then I'll really have this nailed down but so far, so good.

I'm no expert but I don't think you should focus that much on your weight and a scale is not your best tool to monitor your progress towards a healthier physique.

You want to lose fat, not just lose weight.
    If you're working out (getting more active, not going to the gym) in (conjunction with eating better) then you will gain some muscle mass.
    If you gain muscle weight and lose body fat then your weight might stay the same.
    That doesn't mean you're not making progress.
    Or you might make more progress than you think.

I think I already posted this video in that thread but it's worth watching again.

Learning how to cook, or taking the time to cook, is also very important as you mentioned. :yesway:

WARNING: EXPLICIT LANGUAGE! :):

[video=youtube;3FGee4kQHEY]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3FGee4kQHEY[/video]

cbhausen

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Feb 17, 2010
    Indianapolis, IN
    I'm no expert but I don't think you should focus that much on your weight and a scale is not your best tool to monitor your progress towards a healthier physique.

You want to lose fat, not just lose weight.
    If you're working out (getting more active, not going to the gym) in (conjunction with eating better) then you will gain some muscle mass.
    If you gain muscle weight and lose body fat then your weight might stay the same.
    That doesn't mean you're not making progress.
    Or you might make more progress than you think.

I think I already posted this video in that thread but it's worth watching again.

Learning how to cook, or taking the time to cook, is also very important as you mentioned. :yesway:

WARNING: EXPLICIT LANGUAGE! :):

[video=youtube;3FGee4kQHEY]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3FGee4kQHEY[/video]

Understood, Sylvain... Noom does make daily weigh-ins part of their program (mostly to eliminate scale anxiety) but later in the program (about one month in) Noom does address exercise, body mass, how your clothes fit, etc...

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    Understood, Sylvain... Noom does make daily weigh-ins part of their program (mostly to eliminate scale anxiety) but later in the program (about one month in) Noom does address exercise, body mass, how your clothes fit, etc...

I eliminate scale anxiety by not using a scale. :):

I know they make scales that can give you a body fat percentage but I'm not sure how that works and if it's accurate.

Snapdragon

know-it-all tart
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Nov 5, 2013
    NW Indiana
    Warning for anyone thinking about Noom. I signed up for a one week trial. The amount was voluntary, so I paid $10. I wasn't impressed, so I quit using it. Tried to find a way to cancel, but couldn't, so I let it go. Today I got a notice from Chase that they had tried to charge my VISA for $179. Nowhere did I see that my account would be charged at the end of the trial. I never approved the charge or the amount. Fortunately Chase flagged the charge as fraudulent and declined it. Now I have to get a new VISA because Chase cancelled the old one. I am highly suspicious of any company that depends on such deceptive practices to keep their customers.

chipbennett

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 18, 2014
    Avon
    Finally taking some steps in acknowledgement that keto in one's middle age is different from keto in one's 20s. I've been incorporating intermittent fasting, focusing on macros - specifically, not overdoing protein and finding ways to get more fat while also not increasing PUFAs - and, since I'll actually be working from home quite a bit more over the next six months, being intentional about finding ways to be more active, regularly (including teaching the family how to play tennis).

After only a few weeks, it is making a noticeable difference in rolling back my COVID 19.

sixGuns

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Aug 24, 2020
    Grabill
    Not a doctor, not advocating, just relaying my experience. Alcohol only at social gatherings (1-2 beers), unless fasting. Reduction of sugar intake, that stuff is in everything. I love to cook and if I didn't make it I probably won't eat it (some exceptions). 16/8 IF and looking at extended fasting. Kettlebells, light cardio, bodyweight strength training (pull-ups, pushups, squats, planks). Best I've felt in years mentally/physically.

cbhausen

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Feb 17, 2010
    Indianapolis, IN
    Warning for anyone thinking about Noom. I signed up for a one week trial. The amount was voluntary, so I paid $10. I wasn't impressed, so I quit using it. Tried to find a way to cancel, but couldn't, so I let it go. Today I got a notice from Chase that they had tried to charge my VISA for $179. Nowhere did I see that my account would be charged at the end of the trial. I never approved the charge or the amount. Fortunately Chase flagged the charge as fraudulent and declined it. Now I have to get a new VISA because Chase cancelled the old one. I am highly suspicious of any company that depends on such deceptive practices to keep their customers.

This took all of five seconds to find:

https://www.google.com/search?q=can...rial&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&hl=en-us&client=safari

Top Bottom