• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • hoosierdoc

Freed prisoner
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 27, 2011
    Galt's Gulch
    I'm on day 4 of carnivore. I think I did about 15g of carbs yesterday. i used myfitnesspal and was surprised at how many calories I was eating. only like 2500 but more than I wanted. backed it off at breakfast today and when I get home will probably skip breakfast altogether.

I feel like I'm leaning out already but may be placebo. I'm probably down 800-1000g carbs from what I'd eat at a usual all inclusive :D

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    I'm on day 4 of carnivore. I think I did about 15g of carbs yesterday. i used myfitnesspal and was surprised at how many calories I was eating. only like 2500 but more than I wanted. backed it off at breakfast today and when I get home will probably skip breakfast altogether.

I feel like I'm leaning out already but may be placebo. I'm probably down 800-1000g carbs from what I'd eat at a usual all inclusive :D

Maybe placebo, but I will say this.

When I am not watching what I eat, I am popping PPIs before bed and taking Tums like Pez. The very day I go strict again, no more indigestion at all. None.

It only takes a few days to start feeling like my clothes are looser...but I think there is also some kind of diuretic effect to cutting out carbs (even though that usually also means I am eating more salt).

BTW I only eat more than 15g of carbs on "special" occasions when I eat nuts (macadamia, walnut, almond). For the first 4 weeks or so, I didn't even eat tomatoes.

chipbennett

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 18, 2014
    Avon
    Maybe placebo, but I will say this.

When I am not watching what I eat, I am popping PPIs before bed and taking Tums like Pez. The very day I go strict again, no more indigestion at all. None.

It only takes a few days to start feeling like my clothes are looser...but I think there is also some kind of diuretic effect to cutting out carbs (even though that usually also means I am eating more salt).

BTW I only eat more than 15g of carbs on "special" occasions when I eat nuts (macadamia, walnut, almond). For the first 4 weeks or so, I didn't even eat tomatoes.

Salt (sodium) is also something that has largely been wrongly vilified - again and especially when coupled with low-carbohydrate intake/ketogenic metabolism. The loss of retained water causes electrolyte imbalances, including potassium, magnesium, and sodium. (Further, from a cardiovascular perspective, deficiency in potassium - and to a lesser extent, magnesium - is a far greater risk factor and cause than overconsumption of sodium.)

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    Salt (sodium) is also something that has largely been wrongly vilified - again and especially when coupled with low-carbohydrate intake/ketogenic metabolism. The loss of retained water causes electrolyte imbalances, including potassium, magnesium, and sodium. (Further, from a cardiovascular perspective, deficiency in potassium - and to a lesser extent, magnesium - is a far greater risk factor and cause than overconsumption of sodium.)

Agreed. I was only referencing salt as to the water retention aspect. Salt does not affect my blood pressure, eating correctly or not. My wife laughs at me because I refer to vitamins (the pills, not the...actual vitamins) as "voo doo". Don't know if they do anything, but I take a full complement, nonetheless.

chipbennett

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 18, 2014
    Avon
    Agreed. I was only referencing salt as to the water retention aspect. Salt does not affect my blood pressure, eating correctly or not. My wife laughs at me because I refer to vitamins (the pills, not the...actual vitamins) as "voo doo". Don't know if they do anything, but I take a full complement, nonetheless.

Heh; I do, too.

As for sodium: I still contend that it is the carb intake, high serum glucose, and high insulin levels that cause water retention, not sodium intake.

chipbennett

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 18, 2014
    Avon
    Awesome, Doc!

Here's a keto meal I made for my mom a couple weeks ago. Horrible, horrible suffering...

120962223_10100125089456813_2736777525524336374_o.jpg

chipbennett

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 18, 2014
    Avon
    are those cheese stuffed mushrooms that meal looks awesome

down another two pounds this morning. Muscle definition improving

They are. I grilled the asparagus with butter. I griddled the zucchini on the side-burner. The Caesar salad has parmesan crisps in place of croutons. The carbiest thing on the plate is probably those mushrooms. And all washed down with an excellent Shiraz.

cbhausen

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Feb 17, 2010
    Indianapolis, IN
    I’m about to cross the 210 lb milestone. Some wild weight swings of 6 lb or more, mainly on my days off. I’m working nights at Amazon and the constant motion really helps burn calories. I hydrate like crazy when on shift and when I’m off work my water weight shoots up but goes right back down when my work week starts up again.

I’m on the last hole of my Bio-Belt after sending it in once already to have more holes punched. The extra belt is so long now it interferes with my left side holster. Time to add more holes and cut it shorter or just get a new one. From 42 inches to 36 inches waist size and rolling right along. I look so much better with my shirt off I can’t believe it.

Added bonus: Lising weight makes some “other parts” look bigger! Win-win.

Attachments

• 2B9D6BA2-D2FF-45F6-9D98-C0F6781A434F.jpg
      2B9D6BA2-D2FF-45F6-9D98-C0F6781A434F.jpg
      25.6 KB · Views: 9

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    ...Added bonus: Losing weight makes some “other parts” look bigger! Win-win.

You aren't the only one who's noticed that...about myself, I mean.

I am also on the last hole of my favorite belt.

Now the downside. Is anyone else cold all the time? This happened when I lost the bulk of my weight 15+ years ago and is happening again now as I am losing some weight I put back on. I was generally cold-tolerant, but when I get under about 215 (at 6'3") I start to feel cold all the time. Also, I went from standard 40 something white guy flat @$$ to virtually none and can barely stand sitting on an unpadded chair.

I'll live.

Last edited:

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    Down another 3-4lbs. I was stalled at 214-215 for 2 weeks, but I am down to 211.

While I have a tendency to think the BMI standards are skewed to make people feel worse about themselves (trying to motivate action...which doesn't work), it's always nice to make that move from "obese" to officially only "overweight". BMI of 26.4.

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    Something I didn't expect today- I weigh less today than I did before Thanksgiving.

I skipped my Friday weigh-in last week; I'm not an idiot. For most of November, I was around 208-209. This morning, 205-206.

The weight loss is coming slower now that I've lost a lot of fat...but progress. My goal is under 200 by Christmas, and that is possible...but not all that important.

I feel like being down to 1 chin during the beard months (October-March) is almost a waste.

Top Bottom