• ...and so much more!
  • Snapdragon

know-it-all tart
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Nov 5, 2013
    NW Indiana
    Just trying to maintain at this point. Stress/insomnia eating offset by daily walks = not losing but not gaining. It's the best I can do right now.

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    Just trying to maintain at this point. Stress/insomnia eating offset by daily walks = not losing but not gaining. It's the best I can do right now.

That's not a bad place to be at all!

Since I'm neither training for anything, nor interested in joint replacement, my primary exercise is walking. For general fitness, it really works.

chipbennett

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 18, 2014
    Avon
    Five months into a renewed, retooled approach, I'm now more than halfway to my first goal:

Start (Jul) -> Goal -> Current (Dec)

Weight: 294 -> 220 -> 254 (-40 lbs)
    BMI: 37.7 -> 28.0 -> 32.9 (-4.8)
    Fat %: 40.0 -> 22.0 -> 31.8 (-8.2%)

(Based on my BIA scale, 92% of the weight loss has been fat, including a 58% drop in visceral fat.)

I'm focusing on intermittent/extended fasts to reduce insulin/improve insulin sensitivity. As a result, my Visceral Fat rating has dropped from 18 to 15. I just had blood/urine samples this week. I don't have the full panels yet, but I know my A1c has dropped from 7.2 to 6.1.

I'm in a pretty regular routine of 18/6 (or even 20/4) intermittent fasting daily, and frequently will OMAD, just out of necessity (such as travel days, running through airports). That has been great for general weight loss, but not really enough to fix the underlying insulin/insulin sensitivity issues (the results speak for themselves, but have only dropped serum markers from "diabetic" to "pre-diabetic"). So, I'm now working on adding in multiple, 48-hour fasts weekly.

That's not to say that those are the only changes; I've taken a more holistic approach, as I've mentioned before:

1. Consistent daily activity (JFW - "Just F*!$ing Walk" - my sweet spot seems to be 7,500 - 10,000 steps per day, before I start invoking exercise compensatory response; getting up from my office desk chair at least hourly while working; etc.)
    2. High-quality, regular sleep (screens/blue lights off shortly after nightfall; chamomile-mint tea in the evening; bedtime prep around 9PM, read until falling asleep around 9:30 or 10:00; no alarm clock - wake up naturally)
    3. Minimize stress (only working 40 - 45 hours per week instead of 65 - 70 hours per week; etc.)
    4. Minimize inflammation (natural fats - olive, coconut, avocado, etc. - only, no PUFAs/vegetable oils; supplements - Mg, ashwagandha, etc.; minimizing stress)

I'll have a follow-up appointment with my doctor in a couple weeks; I like him, but his default approach to absolutely anything is "throw medicine at it". Ironic, I know, considering that I work in pharmaceutical manufacturing; but my default approach is always "fix the lifestyle/diet/environmental issue causing the problem." So, we'll see how it goes.

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    "Keto" works for me. 202 this morning- down from 205/06 from last week. Down 43 lbs since late August. Got my first A1C since I started this week- 5.1. My LDL, HDL and triglycerides are not quite what I would like, but they are getting there. I think my body needs more time to adjust to the new fuel and life without so much fat.

I do not eat any processed food labeled "Keto". I use no artificial sweeteners. I eat meat, cheese, nuts and vegetables. I may have an apple or 2 with peanut butter over the weekend. No fruits over the week and no fruits other than apple. Sugar is sugar whether it comes fruits or out of a bag of Domino. I consume around 10-15 total carbs a day (closer to 10 during the week, closer to 15 on weekends). I do not snack and I occasionally "intermittent fast" during the week.

johny5

not a shill account
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 3, 2014
    Indianapolis
    Five months into a renewed, retooled approach, I'm now more than halfway to my first goal:

Start (Jul) -> Goal -> Current (Dec)

Weight: 294 -> 220 -> 254 (-40 lbs)
    BMI: 37.7 -> 28.0 -> 32.9 (-4.8)
    Fat %: 40.0 -> 22.0 -> 31.8 (-8.2%)

(Based on my BIA scale, 92% of the weight loss has been fat, including a 58% drop in visceral fat.)

These are really impressive results! Motivates me to get my fat-@@@ up and working!

Keep it up, brother!

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    That's not a bad place to be at all!

Since I'm neither training for anything, nor interested in joint replacement, my primary exercise is walking. For general fitness, it really works.

Walking and taking the stairs.Great for the legs, cardio and more. :yesway:

Snapdragon

know-it-all tart
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Nov 5, 2013
    NW Indiana
    Hoping you have a better day today. Good thoughts and wished sent!
    Thanks, Hough. I had a big long emotional oversharing post written, but decided it was more than anyone needed (wanted) to know.

Bottom line is that I am back where I started, but I am back on the wagon. Between the psoriatic arthritis, osteoarthritis, diabetes, and the recent diagnosis of pulmonary fibrosis, I can no longer function as a fat person. Pounds must come off.

Going shopping for some good low carb groceries and reacquainting myself with my elliptical. I can do this. :yesway:

Last edited:

chipbennett

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 18, 2014
    Avon
    Thanks, Hough. I had a big long emotional oversharing post written, but decided it was more than anyone needed (wanted) to know.

Bottom line is that I am back where I started, but I am back on the wagon. Between the psoriatic arthritis, osteoarthritis, and the recent diagnosis of pulmonary fibrosis, I can no longer function as a fat person. Pounds must come off.

Going shopping for some good low carb groceries and reacquainting myself with my elliptical. I can do this. :yesway:

If I could recommend anything, it is book The Obesity Code by Dr. Jason Fung. (He has other, related books; but I would start there.)

You've got this!

2A_Tom

Crotchety old member!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 27, 2010
    NWI
    Well, I had to get my A1C below 7 for my knee surgery and didn't feel like I could do it the way I was eating. I started the Atkins diet 5 weeks before the blood draw and went from 7.2 to 6.8.

I started out at 233lbs 3 months ago and am now 196.

Fudging a bit for a couple more days and then back to strict compliance.

As for the knee surgery, 1 month out today and have full motion and walked 2000 feet for the first time in over a year.

jaymark6655

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 2, 2018
    Bloomington
    I might need this thread. I was down to 250 last February. Currently back up to 300. Seems like I have to work out non-stop (like two runs a day) and not eat anything to keep any weight off. Need to get back down, doctor is a little worried.

Flingarrows

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 9, 2019
    Greenwood
    I’m down from 233# a year ago, to 206#. I have 11 more to get to my goal weight. I’m 6’ so that is probably a good number. Things have been slow as I’m hardly active right now. Once I have back surgery in Jan, I’ll be more active and get to that 195 number

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Top Bottom