• ...and so much more!
  • Snapdragon

know-it-all tart
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Nov 5, 2013
    NW Indiana
    I’d love to have an elliptical... unfortunately, I’m too ****ing fat for the ones I can afford.
    Chez, I have this one. Fortunately I bought it when I was working. You can use it as a standing elliptical or as a recumbent bike. Not sure where you are on the weight right now so YMMV.

https://www.proform.com/hybrid-trai...wX3dGOuWC9cAWB9DZEwFM4yPSSVe7bM4aAglqEALw_wcB

PFEL03815_1-59313.jpg

Snapdragon

know-it-all tart
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Nov 5, 2013
    NW Indiana
    Thanks BWF. I joined the GOLO program about a week ago. It's based on insulin resistance and allows one serving of carbs per meal. The bottom line of the program is for each meal, 2 servings of protein, 1 serving of carb, 1-2 servings of veg (optional for breakfast, but I've been putting chopped spinach or broccoli in my eggs), and one serving of healthy fat (pat of butter, Tbsp of olive oil, etc). There is also a supplement that I purchased in a desperate moment. We'll see how it works. I'm still at the same weight I was when I posted last, but I survived Christmas dinner and leftovers and New Year's dinner. I'm up to 20 min per day on the ProForm.

Snapdragon

know-it-all tart
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Nov 5, 2013
    NW Indiana
    I need to “re-lose” about 40 lbs to get back on track to only having about 80 lbs to lose. :cool:
    Yeah, that's where I am. 120 would be great. If the ProForm works for you pricewise and weight limit wise, I highly recommend it. It's two in one. Sometimes I can't handle the standing so I sit and do the recumbent. Other times I can do the full elliptical.

Snapdragon

know-it-all tart
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Nov 5, 2013
    NW Indiana
    OK, I'm back. Strained my lower back pretty badly on Jan 4. Don't know how I did it. (I'm 58; who needs a reason?). Took a few weeks to get back on the elliptical. Tried to keep up the healthy eating even though I was laid up. I'm down 13 lbs since Dec 14. All-time high was about 260 lbs. Was 259 on Dec 14 and am now down to 246. I toyed with the GOLO concept of 2 protein, 1 carb, 1-2 veg, and 1 fat per meal with no snacks, but I found it really difficult to go without snacking, so I added low carb snacks like cheese, pork rinds, and beef jerky. I am really loving the Aldi zero carb bread, and I will sometimes have a slice of bread and butter or make a piece of garlic bread on the griddle.

How are we doing, guys?

yeahbaby

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 9, 2011
    Portage
    Thanks, Hough. I had a big long emotional oversharing post written, but decided it was more than anyone needed (wanted) to know.

Bottom line is that I am back where I started, but I am back on the wagon. Between the psoriatic arthritis, osteoarthritis, diabetes, and the recent diagnosis of pulmonary fibrosis, I can no longer function as a fat person. Pounds must come off.

Going shopping for some good low carb groceries and reacquainting myself with my elliptical. I can do this. :yesway:
    One thing I have incorporated into my work outs is resistance band work outs. They are pretty inexpensive, and the great thing is you can do the work outs at home. I picked up a set of Bodylastic bands with a door anchor. You just open the door, throw one end of the anchor over the top of the door. Close the door, you can do all sorts of exercises. I wish you the best of luck!

chipbennett

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 18, 2014
    Avon
    I'm hovering around 60 lbs lost. I'm on the road again this week, but when I weigh in once I get back home, I should finally be able to say that I've moved from "obese" to "overweight" (as measured by BMI; already there as measured by body fat %).

chipbennett

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 18, 2014
    Avon
    Alternate-Day Fasting (ADF) really makes a difference, particularly with insulin resistance (because it helps the liver and other viscera to preferentially burn its own ectopic fat).

Major non-scale victory a week or so ago. I was able to eat a couple piece of shrimp at the Japanese steakhouse, without causing an immediate (or even a delayed) gout flare.

Fingers crossed, 2021 will be the last year I need to take daily medication for gout.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    I'm 10# up. +/- same as last year.

I'm finding that getting in my 10,000 steps seem to make all the difference for me. My dirty keto with daily intermittent fasting diet stays pretty consistent.

I laughed at my crazy friends last winter, talking of their 10,000 steps daily. 6000 about tops during the inside cold weather months, since I started tracking. Come spring, 10K racked up, without much thought every day. Yard, garden, fishing, etc.

I'm seeing more and more articles on getting in the 10K steps. Here's one...

Now to kick myself in the but to get in those steps at least a few days a week. I planted some garlic a couple days ago in the rare sunshine. Shovelling compost, wheelbarrow, hoe, 14ish trips back and forth. 10K steps before I knew it.

Must get out of chair...

Last edited:

chipbennett

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 18, 2014
    Avon
    For me, my daily step goal is about being regularly active (as in, not sedentary) each day, rather than using walking as exercise, per se. I have found that for me, the sweet spot is in the range of 7,500 - 10,000 steps per day (my step goal is set at 7,500). Any more than that, and walking starts to transition from mere activity into exercise. Also, my pace is intentionally below an aerobic level. I target around 3 mph (usually 3.0 - 3.3, depending on the day and conditions). My heart rate does not rise appreciably above my resting rate.

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    I walk about 2.5 miles outside in the morning regardless of temperature. Steps? Wouldn't know. Everyone else in my family has a fitness tracker and loves the treadmill. Not me. My job is pretty sedentary, so at least there's the morning walk.

chipbennett

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 18, 2014
    Avon
    I walk about 2.5 miles in the morning regardless of temperature. Steps? Wouldn't know. Everyone else in my family has a fitness tracker. Not me. My job is pretty sedentary, so at least there's the morning walk.
    For me (6'2), that's just over 5,000 steps. When I'm on the road (like this week, in CA), my morning walk is also right around 2.5 miles. When I'm at home, it's usually a bit shorter.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    For me, my daily step goal is about being regularly active (as in, not sedentary) each day, rather than using walking as exercise, per se. I have found that for me, the sweet spot is in the range of 7,500 - 10,000 steps per day (my step goal is set at 7,500). Any more than that, and walking starts to transition from mere activity into exercise. Also, my pace is intentionally below an aerobic level. I target around 3 mph (usually 3.0 - 3.3, depending on the day and conditions). My heart rate does not rise appreciably above my resting rate.
    Yes. 10K steps is +/- 5 miles. Pretty sure most days I'm not doing that. As you mention though, it points to activity.

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    I know some of you hate me for this, but my issue is I lose weight too easy. I lost 13 lbs during 2020. I have gained about 10 of it back and have been personal training for 5 months now. I go just 2 days a week, but recently added 2 more days for the next 8 weeks. The added workouts are to train for max pushups, chin ups and max weight chin up.

I set new goals each month and my personal trainer creates a program to help me reach those goals. For last few months it had been to put on the weight I lost. Now that I'm close to where I want to be, I will be changing it up. One more month, maybe two.

I'm also going to try my hand at rucking. All you former military folks (especially Army) are probably rolling your eyes right now. :) But done right, I think I will grow stronger and have fun at the same time. Time will tell if my body can handle it.

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    Since I have lost most of the weight I want to lose, one thing I have noticed is that I'm cold all the time. I have been taking my temperature every day since Monday for the vaccine study I'm in and I am running in the high 96s to low 97s. As it turns out, not only feeling cold, but having a lower body temperature is a known issue with weight loss.

Of course it doesn't help at all that the people who control the thermostat in my office are women of a certain age. My wife got be a foot warmer, a heated tray my feet sit on while I'm at my desk and it is the best thing since sliced....salami.

Last edited:

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    Since I have lost most of the weight I want to use, one thing I have noticed is that I'm cold all the time. I have been taking my temperature every day since Monday for the vaccine study I'm in and I am running in the high 96s to low 97s. As it turns out, not only feeling cold, but having a lower body temperature is a known issue with weight loss.

Of course it doesn't help at all that the people who control the thermostat in my office are women of a certain age. My wife got be a foot warmer, a heated tray my feet sit on while I'm at my desk and it is the best thing since sliced....salami.
    I have been blessed with a low body fat percentage my whole life. My temperature when checked is usually 97.5.

I tend to be colder than others. Of course I can dress for it, but I usually have more layers than others.

If the outdoor temps were at 78 degrees year 'round, I would consider that perfect. :)

BTW, good on your for losing the weight you wanted to.

Top Bottom