• ...and so much more!
  • churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Those whose point of view you agree with don't need to keep the discussion civil because they're scared?

The emotional and the logical in human brains work in tandem. The emotional holds the logically in check and vice versa. We never want to pursue entirely utilitarian solutions to our problems, we hold our views in the context of humanity. It's these cold, calculating, sometimes less than toungue in cheek comments about 'turning the middle east into glass' which make you realize it's not a far hop in logic that has justified past tragedies in the minds of the perpetrators. Obviously there's no easy solution to fix these problems but its out of line with our values to not have a civil discussion about the issues.

And in this I agree completely.
    But know that fear will out in many of us. I admit to having this emotion. It is also a human trait. One that will take over in these troubled times.
    My fears run the gambit with this. These fears can be justified in civil conversation.

Birds Away

ex CZ afficionado.
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Aug 29, 2011
    Monticello
    On the one hand we hear people reject being the world's policeman.

On the other hand, they want us to be the world's sanctuary.

Jludo

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 14, 2013
    Indianapolis
    On the one hand we hear people reject being the world's policeman.

On the other hand, they want us to be the world's sanctuary.

If we weren't the world's policemen Daesh wouldn't be riding around in US humvees and the Syrians would be living under a secular dictatorship rather than fleeing by the millions.

halfmileharry

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Dec 2, 2010
    South of Indy
    When it comes to backing Syria....Maybe we bet on the wrong horse.
    These "evil dictators" have been dealing with this crap for centuries and have become quite proficient at it.
    We stick our noses in it and have a great big **** sandwich to show for it.
    I say lock our borders down and have a real country again, mind our own business if at all possible, and blow these sob's back to the stone age where they're nothing but skeletal remains.
    Leave obumma and his sympathies out of the equation and something might get done. He's going to keep doing the SOS and hoping for different results. Sadly, there's many with the same mind set. And they vote. Scary isn't it?

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    Those whose point of view you agree with don't need to keep the discussion civil because they're scared?

The emotional and the logical in human brains work in tandem. The emotional holds the logically in check and vice versa. We never want to pursue entirely utilitarian solutions to our problems, we hold our views in the context of humanity. It's these cold, calculating, sometimes less than toungue in cheek comments about 'turning the middle east into glass' which make you realize it's not a far hop in logic that has justified past tragedies in the minds of the perpetrators. Obviously there's no easy solution to fix these problems but its out of line with our values to not have a civil discussion about the issues.

About tongue-in-cheek comments. We are emotional beings. Some more than others. Some people cap their emotions. Others let them fly. After 9/11 I remember saying the same thing, we should just turn the ME into glass. **** them all. We can drill through the glass to get to the oil. Problem solved. However, if I were in charge of "the button" at that very moment, would I have pushed it? No. When confronted with the actuality of doing it, reason would have broken through the emotion. Some are wired more emotionally. We probably shouldn't let them anywhere near the button.

And we can have a civil discussion about the issue if we have mutual respect for each others' right to disagree. Do we have that on both sides? Some yes, some no. Certainly a lot of right-leaning people have no use for your lefty opinions and they don't mind telling you that. That's just something that left leaning people have to live with on a forum with mostly conservative people. I don't expect to get much respect when I post something on Huffpo or other liberal havens.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    Yes, yes, all of the world's problems are our fault.

Well, I have to admit that Daesh would not exist if we left Saddam, Gaddafi and Assad to rule as they have. But we tried to make compassion a policy which made us the world's police. And that didn't work. So now we're trying to make compassion a policy to become the world's sanctuary. And I think that won't work either. There's a lot to be said for minding our own business much more than we currently do.

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    Why is inundating our towns and cities with people that don't want to be Americans the only possible response to this? Why is the only moral, compassionate thing we can do is bring them here?

I think there are other options but there's an election coming up and we must make this a political issue. We have republicans/conservatives/Christians to lambast and Hillary's campaign to ignore.

Last edited:

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    Why is inundating our towns and cities with people that don't want to be Americans the only possible response to this? Why is the only moral, compassionate thing we can do is bring them here? I think there are other options but there's an election coming up and we must make this a political issue.

Well, you answered part of it. Definitely an opportune time to turn conservatives' desire for responsibility into moral corruption. But also it's part of the ideology. Open borders and ****. And let's not forget the pragmatism of creating potential democratic voters.

IndyDave1776

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    Well, I have to admit that Daesh would not exist if we left Saddam, Gaddafi and Assad to rule as they have. But we tried to make compassion a policy which made us the world's police. And that didn't work. So now we're trying to make compassion a policy to become the world's sanctuary. And I think that won't work either. There's a lot to be said for minding our own business much more than we currently do.

Exactly. I was sorting through this very issue only to find that you have already got the job done!

rvb

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 14, 2009
    IN (a refugee from MD)
    Governor Pence says "No":

Pence: Indiana will not accept Syrian refugees - TheIndyChannel.com

The haters will hate this. I applaud it.

How does this work. If the feds let them in the country, and they are being supported by some private organizations (eg I saw some Catholic charity in one of the IN cities), how does a governor keep them out of the state? I can see him preventing the use of state funds or resources, but out side of that???

How is the state involved in the settlement of "refugees?" What if the feds decide to house them on federal property?

-rvb

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    Well, you answered part of it. Definitely an opportune time to turn conservatives' desire for responsibility into moral corruption. But also it's part of the ideology. Open borders and ****. And let's not forget the pragmatism of creating potential democratic voters.

I don't think the rank and file democrat voter is any more open border than the run of the mill republican. That seems to be realm of libertarian think. But people of all parties have a progressive streak to them. When it comes to human tragedies, they do have a tendency to look to Washington for solutions and actions. They all use the positions taken and policies suggested by their oppenents for political leverage to help gain more power.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    How does this work. If the feds let them in the country, and they are being supported by some private organizations (eg I saw some Catholic charity in one of the IN cities), how does a governor keep them out of the state? I can see him preventing the use of state funds or resources, but out side of that???

How is the state involved in the settlement of "refugees?" What if the feds decide to house them on federal property?

-rvb
    I forget which agency administers the program in Indiana. Pence told them to stop. Is it legal? I dunno is the program constitutional?

JollyMon

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 27, 2012
    Westfield, IN

-rvb

U.S. governors don't have power to refuse refugees access to their states

dusty88

Master
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 11, 2014
    United States
    I think this delaying by governors is merely that. When the kerfuffle dies down, we will take in Syrian refugees.

Perhaps the question at this point is what is the best way to help? Is there an organization that can be trusted to administer aid near Syria? Is there an organization in the US that will help the refugees find productive endeavors, rather than giving them government handouts?

Dead Duck

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    Apr 1, 2011
    I think this delaying by governors is merely that. When the kerfuffle dies down, we will take in Syrian refugees.

Perhaps the question at this point is what is the best way to help? Is there an organization that can be trusted to administer aid near Syria? Is there an organization in the US that will help the refugees find productive endeavors, rather than giving them government handouts?

Sure -
    The U.S Army does that too. :):

So how many refugees will you accept into your home. You seem like you really want to help with this [STRIKE]invasion[/STRIKE] predicament.

I knew this dumb blond once that liked to take in stray animals all the time til a family of sick ugly cats (rabid possums) bit her and she underwent a series of rabies shots her stomach. :(
    Rabid possums only did what rabid possums do. The dumb blond only did what dumb blonds do.

Don't mess with strays or you'll get shot in the gut.

Top Bottom