• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    If I read the Refugee Act correctly, States and local non-profits accept Federal money to manage the refugees in their state. I assume we could not take the funds, and not provide assistance. The Feds could still do it all themselves, and still work with non-profits. Can't STOP it, but might not have to actively participate.

The Catholic Church (and many other churches) seem to be big players in refugee placement. I wonder how many folks are contacting their own church and voicing their opinion?

I know of a couple of Catholics (acquaintances) that are very much FOR refugee placement.... in someone else's neighborhood. Typical NIMBY talk.

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    I think this delaying by governors is merely that. When the kerfuffle dies down, we will take in Syrian refugees.

Perhaps the question at this point is what is the best way to help? Is there an organization that can be trusted to administer aid near Syria? Is there an organization in the US that will help the refugees find productive endeavors, rather than giving them government handouts?

Check out Samaritan's Purse or Nazarene Fund. There are probably others but I picked the latter to donate some money to to help do the job the federal government is not empowered to do.

rw02kr43

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 22, 2008
    Paragon
    Take religion and moral out of it and take away the cute internet meme generators trying to make people look like hypocrites and I see no rational reason to take these people in. Our job should be to protect ourselves and our country. how does letting in tens of thousands of people that we don't know, from a region of the world that has publicly stated the objective is to kill us all seem like a good idea to anyone?

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Take religion and moral out of it and take away the cute internet meme generators trying to make people look like hypocrites and I see no rational reason to take these people in. Our job should be to protect ourselves and our country. how does letting in tens of thousands of people that we don't know, from a region of the world that has publicly stated the objective is to kill us all seem like a good idea to anyone?

It is not, On any level a good idea.

dusty88

Master
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 11, 2014
    United States
    Sure -
    The U.S Army does that too. :):

So how many refugees will you accept into your home. You seem like you really want to help with this [STRIKE]invasion[/STRIKE] predicament.

I knew this dumb blond once that liked to take in stray animals all the time til a family of sick ugly cats (rabid possums) bit her and she underwent a series of rabies shots her stomach. :(
    Rabid possums only did what rabid possums do. The dumb blond only did what dumb blonds do.

Don't mess with strays or you'll get shot in the gut.

If you read my other posts (and understandable if you didn't, it's a long thread) I said that I disagree with accepting the refugees. That doesn't mean I don't have any compassion for them or that I think it's a simple issue. Nor do I have any reason to think that most of them are dangerous.

I also don't think my opinion will do one wit of good in changing federal policy.

Thus we can try to exert an influence that turns them to independent, functional members of our society as some immigrants have, or we can ignore it and let the liberals turn them into more government dependents while we stay righteously pissed off.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    If you read my other posts (and understandable if you didn't, it's a long thread) I said that I disagree with accepting the refugees. That doesn't mean I don't have any compassion for them or that I think it's a simple issue. Nor do I have any reason to think that most of them are dangerous.

I also don't think my opinion will do one wit of good in changing federal policy.

Thus we can try to exert an influence that turns them to independent, functional members of our society as some immigrants have, or we can ignore it and let the liberals turn them into more government dependents while we stay righteously pissed off.

If only 1 of them has ill intention that number will grow rapidly among the youth that will have nothing better to do.

yepthatsme

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 16, 2011
    Right Here

Isn't that the definition of insanity? Our leaders have vowed to protect Americans and yet, they choose to commit suicide by bringing in to our country, so called refugees that they can't verify their intentions. This is nuts! And to top it off, there are some of us that think this is a good idea because it is the only humane thing to do. It's like letting everyone into your home, even though you have no idea of their motives and you are perfectly happy about it regardless of putting your and your familys lives in danger. It's insane.

dusty88

Master
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 11, 2014
    United States
    If only 1 of them has ill intention that number will grow rapidly among the youth that will have nothing better to do.

Exactly.

I have no idea though if anyone can help steer them towards productive work. I suspect that an old-fashioned farm internship where you work your butt off for 3 hots, a cot, and a small stipend is probably illegal.

But any one of them that experience economic opportunity is 1 person less likely to turn on society (if they don't already have a hardcore opinion.)

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish

I definitely agree with this. Ideally they should go back to their own country assuming that at some point things will be safe for them there. But on a practical level, they're not going back. They'll be resettled here. So how do we want to treat them?

printcraft

INGO Clown
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Feb 14, 2008
    Uranus
    I guess we will just have to welfare pay them off to keep them from becoming radicalized.
    Next thing we need to do is get this climate change handled because it is the leading cause of terrorism.
    Hopefully the Saudi's will step up with money to build mosques and madrassas in every state staffed with their best and brightest wahhabi teachers and imams.

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    Luckily they were thoroughly vetted with the refugee process better than the standard vetting which isn't as good......

Good point. Notice that once they get off the bus, the feds are done with them. Once they leave the sponsoring organizations' facilities, they are done with them. Now who has responsibility? If this person breaks any laws or, in the worst case, joins up with would-be terrorists, who will bear the responsibility?

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Good point. Notice that once they get off the bus, the feds are done with them. Once they leave the sponsoring organizations' facilities, they are done with them. Now who has responsibility? If this person breaks any laws or, in the worst case, joins up with would-be terrorists, who will bear the responsibility?

I would like to say every bleeding heart that wanted "US" to take them in.....:dunno:

Top Bottom