Student loan 'Forgiveness",Too little to help anyone, just enough to make everyone angry

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    SCOTUS just blocked an attempted stay on the program. It was initiated by the circuit court overseen by Amy Coney Barrett. Maybe she's not the "conservative" we all thought she was. :xmad:

"Conservative Justice Amy Coney Barrett rejected the motion from a Wisconsin group without offering an explanation.

The Brown County Taxpayers Association filed the motion Wednesday, asking the court to immediately pause the loan relief program while it moves forward with litigation against the Biden Administration.

A federal district court tossed a lawsuit from the group aiming to stop the program, which they have since appealed to the 7th Circuit Court of Appeals.

The motion to the Supreme Court argued the program should be halted immediately because Biden overstepped his authority by authorizing loan forgiveness, which they claimed will lead to a “gargantuan increase in the national debt.”
    Barrett is responsible for handling emergency motions from Wisconsin."

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    SCOTUS just blocked an attempted stay on the program. It was initiated by the circuit court overseen by Amy Coney Barrett. Maybe she's not the "conservative" we all thought she was. :xmad:

"Conservative Justice Amy Coney Barrett rejected the motion from a Wisconsin group without offering an explanation.

The Brown County Taxpayers Association filed the motion Wednesday, asking the court to immediately pause the loan relief program while it moves forward with litigation against the Biden Administration.

A federal district court tossed a lawsuit from the group aiming to stop the program, which they have since appealed to the 7th Circuit Court of Appeals.

The motion to the Supreme Court argued the program should be halted immediately because Biden overstepped his authority by authorizing loan forgiveness, which they claimed will lead to a “gargantuan increase in the national debt.”
    Barrett is responsible for handling emergency motions from Wisconsin."

Waiting to hear legal explanation of this…

MCgrease08

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Mar 14, 2013
    Earth
    Waiting to hear legal explanation of this…
    This one was expected to go down. Plaintiffs don't really have solid standing to bring a suit. You can sue the federal government just because you don't like the way they spend your tax money. You must show direct harm.

There are other lawsuits working their way up that more directly impact lenders and states. Those have a much greater chance of being heard.

ETA: https://www.dailywire.com/news/scotus-refuses-lawsuit-to-block-bidens-student-loan-forgiveness-plan

Last edited:

04FXSTS

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 31, 2010
    Eugene
    This one was expected to go down. Plaintiffs don't really have solid standing to bring a suit. You can sue the federal government just because you don't like the way they spend your tax money. You must show direct harm.

There are other lawsuits working their way up that more directly impact lenders and states. Those have a much greater chance of being heard.

ETA: https://www.dailywire.com/news/scotus-refuses-lawsuit-to-block-bidens-student-loan-forgiveness-plan

This was my thought also, that this was a weak case and there are better ones in the works. Jim.

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    The courts need to follow the rule of law whether we like the way their decisions or not. I don't want a conservative judge ruling based upon personal opinion anymore than I do a liberal judge.
    This is the proper way to do it, no doubt. The left didn’t gain so much ground by fighting by the rules though.

chipbennett

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 18, 2014
    Avon
    I try to avoid knee-jerk reactions to things like this. The legal system works (sometimes infuriatingly) slowly, but methodically and with purpose. I oppose activism from the bench, wither that activism advances ideology I oppose or support. IANAL, so I don't know if her (in)action is appropriate or not in this instance.

(The executive branch authorizing by EO-fiat a taxpayer-funded "forgiveness" of student loans is, unquestionably, unconstitutional. That doesn't necessarily mean that ACB had constitutional authority to issue a stay of the program based on the existing lawsuit. I don't always understand them, but I know that there are issues of jurisdiction and ripeness - and probably others.)

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 9, 2022
    Bloomington
    The courts need to follow the rule of law whether we like the way their decisions or not. I don't want a conservative judge ruling based upon personal opinion anymore than I do a liberal judge.
    I try to avoid knee-jerk reactions to things like this. The legal system works (sometimes infuriatingly) slowly, but methodically and with purpose. I oppose activism from the bench, wither that activism advances ideology I oppose or support. IANAL, so I don't know if her (in)action is appropriate or not in this instance.

(The executive branch authorizing by EO-fiat a taxpayer-funded "forgiveness" of student loans is, unquestionably, unconstitutional. That doesn't necessarily mean that ACB had constitutional authority to issue a stay of the program based on the existing lawsuit. I don't always understand them, but I know that there are issues of jurisdiction and ripeness - and probably others.)
    I guess I'm way more cynical than you guys. I gave up caring about playing by the rules a while ago, and if "our side" can stop the left from wreaking their havoc on the lives of normal, hardworking Americans, I don't care how they do it. At this point rule of law is dead in this country, a few more lashes on the dead horse's corpse aren't going to change anything.

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    U
    I guess I'm way more cynical than you guys. I gave up caring about playing by the rules a while ago, and if "our side" can stop the left from wreaking their havoc on the lives of normal, hardworking Americans, I don't care how they do it. At this point rule of law is dead in this country, a few more lashes on the dead horse's corpse aren't going to change anything.
    Unfortunately, I fear you may be correct. Is there ANYBODY on the other side that EVER says “we must do it by the rule of law”? Don’t know who it would be…

rhamersley

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 9, 2016
    Danville
    And they have successfully used that against conservatives who sat on their hands playing by Queensbury rules…
    Unfortunately, I can think of probably less than 20 "nationally known" congressmen, senators and governors combined who aren't the "go along to get along" type. Vast majority want to get invited to the gala openings and parties that are thrown by the left wingers, so no waves shall be made.

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    Unfortunately, I can think of probably less than 20 "nationally known" congressmen, senators and governors combined who aren't the "go along to get along" type. Vast majority want to get invited to the gala openings and parties that are thrown by the left wingers, so no waves shall be made.
    In DC particularly, I believe it is far more than gala’s and parties, I believe the swamp, which since the FBI is a corrupt part of the swamp, the swamp has access to the very private backgrounds of our elected officials. This is used to control those elected officials. Infidelity, sex of all kinds including illegal sex, drugs, alcohol, it all is in the mix giving control to the swamp.

I am sure it has always been this way but our communications and technology now allow for far more control than just 20 years ago…

MCgrease08

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Mar 14, 2013
    Earth
    That's all well and good, but you still need a solid lawsuit to hang your hat on. An anti-tax group suing because they don't like how the government spends tax money ain't going to get it done. They don't have standing to sue and there is tons of precedent for dismissing cases like this.

Even if you want to argue FOR judicial activism, you still need a case the activist judge can work with. Otherwise a ruling on a bad case may close the door for future challenges.

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 9, 2022
    Bloomington
    That's all well and good, but you still need a solid lawsuit to hang your hat on. An anti-tax group suing because they don't like how the government spends tax money ain't going to get it done. They don't have standing to sue and there is tons of precedent for dismissing cases like this.

Even if you want to argue FOR judicial activism, you still need a case the activist judge can work with. Otherwise a ruling on a bad case may close the door for future challenges.
    Fair point.

Top Bottom