Student loan 'Forgiveness",Too little to help anyone, just enough to make everyone angry

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    Unfortunately, I can think of probably less than 20 "nationally known" congressmen, senators and governors combined who aren't the "go along to get along" type. Vast majority want to get invited to the gala openings and parties that are thrown by the left wingers, so no waves shall be made.
    We, the people, bear some responsibility for this

If you subsidize a behavior you can expect to get more of it

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    That's all well and good, but you still need a solid lawsuit to hang your hat on. An anti-tax group suing because they don't like how the government spends tax money ain't going to get it done. They don't have standing to sue and there is tons of precedent for dismissing cases like this.

Even if you want to argue FOR judicial activism, you still need a case the activist judge can work with. Otherwise a ruling on a bad case may close the door for future challenges.
    I would feel better about it if Amy had deigned to explain even a little bit about why the case was rejected

Why are we assuming that it was rejected on the basis of standing without any indication that that was the case?

KLB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 12, 2011
    Porter County
    I guess I'm way more cynical than you guys. I gave up caring about playing by the rules a while ago, and if "our side" can stop the left from wreaking their havoc on the lives of normal, hardworking Americans, I don't care how they do it. At this point rule of law is dead in this country, a few more lashes on the dead horse's corpse aren't going to change anything.
    Rule of law is dead? Seems like it has been working well when it comes to guns and abortion.

Dean C.

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 25, 2013
    Westfield
    Temporary injunction , government has till Monday to respond. Their arguments are almost as weak as the Cato Institutes , I would be interested to see how much those state boards actually profit off the loans. I don't think the private loan companies have standing as the loans being discharged are federal?

Ark

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Feb 18, 2017
    Indy
    That's all well and good, but you still need a solid lawsuit to hang your hat on. An anti-tax group suing because they don't like how the government spends tax money ain't going to get it done. They don't have standing to sue and there is tons of precedent for dismissing cases like this.

Even if you want to argue FOR judicial activism, you still need a case the activist judge can work with. Otherwise a ruling on a bad case may close the door for future challenges.
    Yep. Not sure how that's gonna pan out. "My opinion is that this is unconstitutional" is not a damage you can seek relief for.

Dean C.

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 25, 2013
    Westfield
    Yep. Not sure how that's gonna pan out. "My opinion is that this is unconstitutional" is not a damage you can seek relief for.
    Taxpayer group has no legal standing , this the dismissal by ACB. Taxpayers cannot sue the government over how tax dollars are used was the justification I believe.

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 9, 2022
    Bloomington
    Rule of law is dead? Seems like it has been working well when it comes to guns and abortion.
    Only if by "working well" you mean that after suffering through decades of overreach and abuse of power to push clearly unconstitutional agendas we finally got an extremely lucky break and had 3 Supreme Court seats open up during the term of the only president in my lifetime with the guts to appoint anyone remotely resembling a conservative to the bench, and as a result have seen a slight roll back of a few of the highly numerous and egregious 2A violations in our country.

As for abortion, there are still around 20 innocent babies being brutally murdered every week here in my town of Bloomington alone, thanks to the judicial activism of some nutcase judge in Owen County. Yes, rule of law is dead, as are millions of innocent children who should have been protected by it.

Reactions: oze

KLB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 12, 2011
    Porter County
    We all live in the same world. Reality doesn't change from person to person, only the degree to which they acknowledge it.
    Reality doesn't change, just how you perceive it. Your acknowledgement is just your perception of reality. It is no more accurate a representation of reality, just because it is yours.

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 9, 2022
    Bloomington
    Reality doesn't change, just how you perceive it. Your acknowledgement is just your perception of reality. It is no more accurate a representation of reality, just because it is yours.
    Exactly. Whether or not someone's perception is true is the relevant question. Whether one's perspective is more bleak or more optimistic doesn't prove anything regarding whether it is true or not.

Shadow01

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 8, 2011
    WCIn
    Kinda like the only truth is my truth?

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    My offer to allow the student load forgiveness if I get:

1. $50,000 tax credit on each tax return for the rest of my life, OR

2. A run through a federal warehouse. I get unlimited access to a federal warehouse of my designation, a giant shopping cart, 3 buddies and an 8 hour clock. Everything I get over the finish line is mine free and clear with all necessary tax stamps.

Top Bottom