• gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    Thanks. That's about what I figured.
    I had an extra Apex sear in my parts stash so I put it in mine yesterday.
    Just the sear alone lowered the trigger from 5 - 15.5 lbs. to 4 - 4.7 lbs.
    I measured and compared my 2.0 slide, internals and USB to the Plus. They are identical. I even swapped the slides and they worked fine.

I'm betting S&W was smart enough to not create a new slide for it to keep the product line simplified. PLS we called it at ITW.

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    I really want to make it up there for breakfast but they have 37 closed in Martinsville and the "bypass" via 39/67 is so jammed up that it turns a 50 minute drive into a 1.5 hour drive. I might have to look for another route or just suck it up. It will be closed for a year. That's too long to not grace you guys with my presence. :)

I’ve just gone through Martinsville and it added maybe 10 minutes to the trip. Last time through was towing a car home in January though. YMMV

derrickgoins

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    34   0   0
    Oct 23, 2009
    Westfield
    I was able to pick up a used Shield Plus a couple of weeks ago. Put around 100 rounds through it with no issues on FMJ or 147gr HST. Fit right in to an old shield 1.0 holster I had.

PD Armorer friend of mine has it and is installing Dawson Precision fiber optic sights on it.

Mags will get quite a workout since mags don't appear to be out in the wild yet.

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    I’ve just gone through Martinsville and it added maybe 10 minutes to the trip. Last time through was towing a car home in January though. YMMV
    That's pretty good. The last time I took a trip to Hunter Honey off of 67, I got hung up cutting through town from 37 to 67. I probably would go through okay on the way up but I wonder about coming back? When I came back from the honey farm on a weekday around 3 it was pretty jammed up. I was bumper to bumper from 67 to that little gun shop on the right after you make the turn south.

MountieHoo

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 8, 2020
    Indianapolis
    I was tempted to buy one but was really turned off by how insistent S&W is that the slick lock is truly meant to be ONLY used as a slide lock. I could not get that thing slide to drop no matter how much I tried.
    This YouTube video shows a simple mod that seems to fix that issue.
    Anyone have any experience with the mod shown in the video?

Yes I know what the instruction manual yes. Yes I know it would void your warranty. But it's easy enough to buy an OEM slide stop and replace it if needed.

Slide Lock Modification for S&W Shield

wtburnette

WT(aF)
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Nov 11, 2013
    SW side of Indy
    Seems like that's just wearing it to approximately where it'll be once you run enough ammo through it. My Shield 1.0 was the same way. Most of the 3 years or so I had it I used the slingshot method to rack the slide. Worked fine as the slide release was pretty much impossible. After a year or two and a few hundred rounds, the slide release was still stiff, but was able to be used. I think that if you buff it out just enough for it to be stiff but useable it should be fine... :dunno:

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    I was tempted to buy one but was really turned off by how insistent S&W is that the slick lock is truly meant to be ONLY used as a slide lock. I could not get that thing slide to drop no matter how much I tried.
    This YouTube video shows a simple mod that seems to fix that issue.
    Anyone have any experience with the mod shown in the video?

Yes I know what the instruction manual yes. Yes I know it would void your warranty. But it's easy enough to buy an OEM slide stop and replace it if needed.

Slide Lock Modification for S&W Shield
    Everyone can do themselves but I call BS on not using the lever at the side to release the slide. I massaged my 2.0 compact and my 2.0 Shield and can drop them both. I didn't have to do that with my Plus. It drops okay.

If it wears the lever out doing that, then I will buy another one. But I have not heard yet of anyone wearing out a slide release lever on a pistol. Plus if you are not supposed to use one as a release why are there serrations on the top?

Just saying.

And like WT says about buffing it, he is right. It takes very little. I used 600 grit sandpaper to smooth mine very slightly.

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    I put 250+ rounds through mine this weekend and other than a very tight 13 round mag at first, it was perfect in function. The 13+1 config would not cycle until I got past 150 rounds and it’s now fine. Also, the slide release has lightened up a whole lot with just some basic shooting to wear it in. It’s still a bit tight with my right thumb but is fine with the left. In addition to the run in ammo, I ran some SD ammo through it and it worked just fine with those. I’m calling this one good for carry at this point. I do need to order sights though. Next time I get a sale notification for Night Fision, I’ll add a set of HD style night sights.

gryphnrider

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 29, 2016
    Kendallville
    I put 250+ rounds through mine this weekend and other than a very tight 13 round mag at first, it was perfect in function. The 13+1 config would not cycle until I got past 150 rounds and it’s now fine. Also, the slide release has lightened up a whole lot with just some basic shooting to wear it in. It’s still a bit tight with my right thumb but is fine with the left. In addition to the run in ammo, I ran some SD ammo through it and it worked just fine with those. I’m calling this one good for carry at this point. I do need to order sights though. Next time I get a sale notification for Night Fision, I’ll add a set of HD style night sights.
    I ran 50 through today. I went for the performance center short barrel version. Man it got dirty fast with those ports. But I am a big believer in cleaning and takedown on a regular basis so I am ok with it. Ran a few drills and it is smooth got 3 shots from holster draw in a 3in circle.

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    The new sights are on the gun and they complete the package for me. A plus for me is that I discovered that this gun is a perfect fit for my unused Kramer OWB scabbard I had bought for a now departed G27. Oddly, it does not fit my G23 holster though.

wtburnette

WT(aF)
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Nov 11, 2013
    SW side of Indy
    So, without going back to reread this entire thread, what good holster options are there? I carried the original Shield in a Safariland model 27, but not sure if I want to go that route this time. I'd prefer a nice OWB pancake holster.

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    So, without going back to reread this entire thread, what good holster options are there? I carried the original Shield in a Safariland model 27, but not sure if I want to go that route this time. I'd prefer a nice OWB pancake holster.
    I'm still happy with my Bravo Concealment that I had for my original Shield. The plus fits it fine. I like the Bravo because you can move it up for maximum concealability.

For such an inexpensive holster, it just works. I bought a Vedder and returned it. It cost more but didn't have the adjustability that the Bravo has.

That said, the Bravo is injection molded, not Kydex so it is different.

Are you guys meeting for breakfast tomorrow? If so, I could try to get my way up there and you can check out the holster.

wtburnette

WT(aF)
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Nov 11, 2013
    SW side of Indy
    I'm not sure about the Bravo Holsters, just because of not really caring for the C&G holster that I bought for my PDP. Might have to see if GunfightersINC has something as I've been happy with the holster I got for my P10C.

snorko

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    362   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    Evansville, IN
    Finally put a few rounds through mine. Shot maybe 50 rounds with 50 through my Gen 1 Shield which wears a Hogue slip on grip. The new texture helps with maintaining my grip very well to the point I will leave it as is, no future rubber sleeve. Trigger is EXCELLENT! I have a partial Apex upgrade in my gen 1 and it pales in comparison. Group size with the Plus was half of that of the Gen 1.

So the Shield Gen 1 will become a backup possibly, maybe the new bathroom gun.

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    Mine is a perfect fit in a Kramer OWB made for a Glock 27

Top Bottom