• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Dean C.

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 25, 2013
    Westfield
    I did not get to shoot one but had one in my hand at Bass N Bucks (they had one left end of yesterday for $580 if anyone wants to go after it)

Cannot really notice a difference in the grip, but the trigger is most definitely an improvement over the original. I think S&W did a really good job and a lot of people will probably ditch their original shields for these IMHO.

DMTJAGER

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 15, 2020
    WHITING
    Absolutely love my 9mm Shield bought one when they first came out in 2012 from MLGS. Did do a component upgrade on it to eliminate about 90% of creep and over travel. It conceals so well I can and do carry it literally everyday. Found a great deal on 8 round mags and bought a bunch.

What has impressed me so much about my Shield is after 1000s of both factory and my reloads (its on it's second replacement recoil spring assembly) I honestly do not recall it ever failing to go bang with a round of factory ammo. Yes a few of my reloads failed to go bang because the bullet was not seated deeply enough as I lator determined. I took it brand new right from the box to the range with a single 50 round box each of 119grn FMJ and 124grn FMJ from Winchester, Federal, Remington, Speer, CCI, 119 grn FMJ from Fiocchi and Herters over 600 rounds total and it didn't have a single issue with both the factory 7 and 8 round mags. I will say one negative thing about it and that it's mags are a true SOB to load, especially if like me you were reloading them over 70 times at a single sitting. Thankfully I had a set of thin synthetic gloves that hav a PVC coating on the palm and face of the fingers.

Second trip I had JHP ammo from Winchester, Remington, Hornady, Speer, Federal and I honestly do not recall the exact total number of HP rounds I fired, as I also mixed in different manufactures of 119fmj, 124fmj and even some 147fmj from Browning, again zero issues.

If the new Shield will carry as well as my current one and I can get my hands on one for anything approaching a reasonable price I will certainly buy one.

The two mane reason above all others I chose the Shield is it has proven to me to be absolutely reliable and it's incredibly easy to conceal and absolutely effortless to carry.
    I knew a gun that is difficult to carry or conceal or both I will end up not carrying it more often than not.

Route 45

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Dec 5, 2015
    Indy
    In stock at Locked & Loaded.

Model with thumb safety $499.99

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    Absolutely love my 9mm Shield bought one when they first came out in 2012 from MLGS. Did do a component upgrade on it to eliminate about 90% of creep and over travel. It conceals so well I can and do carry it literally everyday. Found a great deal on 8 round mags and bought a bunch.

I will say one negative thing about it and that it's mags are a true SOB to load, especially if like me you were reloading them over 70 times at a single sitting. Thankfully I had a set of thin synthetic gloves that hav a PVC coating on the palm and face of the fingers.

If the new Shield will carry as well as my current one and I can get my hands on one for anything approaching a reasonable price I will certainly buy one.

The two mane reason above all others I chose the Shield is it has proven to me to be absolutely reliable and it's incredibly easy to conceal and absolutely effortless to carry.
    I knew a gun that is difficult to carry or conceal or both I will end up not carrying it more often than not.
    I owned a first gen and sold it. I kicked myself for that sale so I bought a 2.0. I have had the same experiences that you have except my reloads all work, lol. (But then again, I case gauge every round I load.)

Now I have the Plus.

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    What kind of sights do you like on your plus? Sig comes with a good set of sights stock.
    I run Ameriglo Hackathorns on all my iron sight pistols. All two, lol.

I like that the rear sight notch is a little wider than the factory and no white dots. And the orange up front is easier to see, though it's still blurry to my old eyes.

KG1

Forgotten Man
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    I run Ameriglo Hackathorns on all my iron sight pistols. All two, lol.

I like that the rear sight notch is a little wider than the factory and no white dots. And the orange up front is easier to see, though it's still blurry to my old eyes.
    You know what's funny. I can actually see white dots better with my aging eyesight than an orange dot.

wtburnette

WT(aF)
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Nov 11, 2013
    SW side of Indy
    Just watched the Honest Outlaw review of the gun last night and came away impressed. I carried the 1.0 version of the Shield for a couple of years and liked it, but didn't want a gun with external safety any more and wanted something with more capacity. The Plus intrigues me. I think if they ever offer it with an optics cut I'll have to pick one up... :yesway:

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    It appears that the non-safety models are not as available right now.

If anyone sees mags come up, post it. I called S&W and they didn't have any or timing but to just check back in a couple weeks. That was last week. I do have a notify me with MagShack.

tsm

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 1, 2013
    Allen county
    It appears that the non-safety models are not as available right now.

If anyone sees mags come up, post it. I called S&W and they didn't have any or timing but to just check back in a couple weeks. That was last week. I do have a notify me with MagShack.
    The RK ad says with or without safety available. Don’t know how long that’ll last, of course.

gryphnrider

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 29, 2016
    Kendallville
    Just watched the Honest Outlaw review of the gun last night and came away impressed. I carried the 1.0 version of the Shield for a couple of years and liked it, but didn't want a gun with external safety any more and wanted something with more capacity. The Plus intrigues me. I think if they ever offer it with an optics cut I'll have to pick one up... :yesway:
    I really like honest outlaw reviews. That's why I got my canik and I was unsure about the plus it was an impulse buy because they had it in stock and I had cash. I have been considering selling it to get the 365 xl that was what I was going to get with the money. I did go get a shield holster and was happy everything did fit as advertised

gryphnrider

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 29, 2016
    Kendallville
    Ok I also wanted to ask if it is normal to be able to see the round in the magazine from below the slide release. Nobody in any review has commented but I am constantly noticing it now. It's like loaded chamber check loaded mag check.

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    Ok I also wanted to ask if it is normal to be able to see the round in the magazine from below the slide release. Nobody in any review has commented but I am constantly noticing it now. It's like loaded chamber check loaded mag check.
    Yes, it is. You can see them from all Shields, not just the new one. The orange follower on the new one stands out a little more.

Last edited:

Jaybird1980

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 22, 2016
    North Central
    Since you can see the follower in the RK ad above, I imagine you're going to see brass when it's loaded.

Scooped by greg

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    Yes I saw this morning you can order online right now with an ftl fee. The hellcat is available also
    $599 though. I thought I paid a premium by jumping so fast. I won't pay over MSRP for anything though. They have already been listed for $499 at places.
    Since you can see the follower in the RK ad above, I imagine you're going to see brass when it's loaded.

Scooped by greg
    Yup and I was wrong. You won't see orange if there is one round in the mag. You will only see it when it's empty. Sorry about the confusion.

Route 45

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Dec 5, 2015
    Indy
    Now $484.99, model with thumb safety.

Top Bottom